Libre sensor

Charlie Tudgay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sensor just ripped out after 9 days. Was due to go on holiday in the morning, so annoying as was hoping to change half way through the holiday as not sure a new one would last with all the swimming!

Would abbotts replace this sensor or are they not likely to as I've had more than a weeks use of it?

Thank you :)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I had a sensor that came unstuck for reasons known only to itself and phoned Abbott. It still had a a further 9 days to run so they agreed to replace it as it wasn't giving me the full 14 days as promised. You say 'sensor just ripped out', do you mean it got knocked off or caught in clothing, because that was one of the questions they asked me ? Obviously, I can't speak for Abbott, but they may not replace it in that situation. Mine just peeled off for no reason and there was no argument. I don't think the number of days left on the sensor is the deciding factor, I think the way it became detached from you will probably determine whether a replacement is in order. Hope this helps.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a sensor replaced with only 2 days left to run. It had decided to make up readings at will, rather than reflect my reality.

Charlie Tudgay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I'm not sure they'll replace it as it ripped of rather than fell off. But put a new one on 4 hours ago and told me to replace as not working. Can't believe that's two in one day. I cannot afford for them to go wrong :/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yeah I'm not sure they'll replace it as it ripped of rather than fell off. But put a new one on 4 hours ago and told me to replace as not working. Can't believe that's two in one day. I cannot afford for them to go wrong :/
If you had the message not working replace the Abbott will replace it for you. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbot replaced a sensor which dropped off after 30 minutes use, due to sweating. I'd been dry when I applied it.

They have quibbled about one which lasted a week before going off, around 3.8 mmol/l from finger sticks. They require the times and dates of erroneous readings, and both finger sticks and Libre readings 'because it's a medical device'.

I could only be definitive about the final readings when I replaced it, not the preceding days. So be warned.

Although if it isn't working, its covered by UK consumer protection laws whatever Abbott choose to do.

And you can file a yellow card report for a medical device failure which might encourage Abbott to shape up.

Its a pity they're being difficult.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had two replaced due to the adhesive being awful, sells they asked was for the serial number on the box and they could see the readings from their side I think. After hey had checked it they just asked if the sensors as okay previously and then said they'll send a new one out immediately. No problems with the customer service...just the sensor.

They do help a lot on holidays though!