losing 1/6th of your body weight anyone tried it on Cambridge diet?

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone I am a "newbee". Diagnosed 5 days ago I have of course like everyone else done tons of research! Is anyone familiar with Richard Doughty who used to write for the Guardian, and reversed his diabetes by going on 800 calories a day until 1/6th of his body weight had been lost? This was several years ago and he is still doing well. I have seen many stories like this, one chap had had a heartattack due to diabetes, nearly lost a toe and reversed it all on 600 calories a day. They claim that on this low amount of cals, the fat is stripped from the liver and pancreas, allowing them to work properly again. Anyone? I was wondering whether to give it a go using the cambridge diet which offers vast vitamins etc. Would be interested to hear from anyone that has any knowledge on any of this? Thank you!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, welcome.

A lot of people have done this on the 'Newcastle Diet' on here, so yes, it seems to work well for most.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, welcome.

A lot of people have done this on the 'Newcastle Diet' on here, so yes, it seems to work well for most.
Thanks for your reply! I am going back tomorrow to docs for the test that looks at blood over 3 months and am going to suggest to him that I try it. (well not "suggest" TELL him lol. Do you know if most that tried it did it on the meds or off? My doc put me straight on metformin 850 2 a day, but this is north cyprus not the uk, so unfortunately I don't have the same medical care here as back home. Coming back to the Newcastle diet, Richard Doughty wrote the piece for them on the diet, and replied to a mail I sent him. What I don't understand is that if it does really work, why is it not more commonly known of or advised, do you know?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi, welcome.

It works, if you can handle the extremely low calories. Personally I found it easier to lose weight on a low carb higher fat diet that has enough calories to keep me functioning and happy. I lost over 8 stone in a year, more than 1/3 of my body weight.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply! I am going back tomorrow to docs for the test that looks at blood over 3 months and am going to suggest to him that I try it. (well not "suggest" TELL him lol. Do you know if most that tried it did it on the meds or off? My doc put me straight on metformin 850 2 a day, but this is north cyprus not the uk, so unfortunately I don't have the same medical care here as back home. Coming back to the Newcastle diet, Richard Doughty wrote the piece for them on the diet, and replied to a mail I sent him. What I don't understand is that if it does really work, why is it not more commonly known of or advised, do you know?

800 calories isn't a particularly easy diet for 8 weeks.
It requires the mind set to simply not eat as much as you used to, and accept that you won't again.

The advantage is it resets the body, and when you finish you can start off with a fairly clean slate as to what amount, and type of food you eat.

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It works, if you can handle the extremely low calories. Personally I found it easier to lose weight on a low carb higher fat diet that has enough calories to keep me functioning and happy. I lost over 8 stone in a year, more than 1/3 of my body weight.
That's a lot of weight, well done! Excuse my ignorance as this is all new to me, but by losing that much weight, did you reverse the diabetes?

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi I agree, those liquid diets are only suitable for a short quick fix but mist people cant cope without real food long term, I wouldn't recommended, changing your eating habbits for life and enjoying what your eating is much more sensible in my opinion

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I agree, those liquid diets are only suitable for a short quick fix but mist people cant cope without real food long term, I wouldn't recommended, changing your eating habbits for life and enjoying what your eating is much more sensible in my opinion
Hi... Yes I know they are tough... the reason I asked is that some people seem to have actually reversed their conditions on these low cal diets, and successfully for several years and are not classed as diabetic anymore? Maybe I have it all wrong, !!!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi... Yes I know they are tough... the reason I asked is that some people seem to have actually reversed their conditions on these low cal diets, and successfully for several years and are not classed as diabetic anymore? Maybe I have it all wrong, !!!!
Lots of people here have done that, me included, without going so low-calorie.

I will tag @daisy1 who has some info she posts for people new to the forum.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's a lot of weight, well done! Excuse my ignorance as this is all new to me, but by losing that much weight, did you reverse the diabetes?
Thanks, yes I sent the diabetes into remission, meaning my blood levels are in the non-diabetic range, but if I started eating high-carb food again I would be diabetic. As long as I continue to eat low carb it will stay in remission.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, yes I sent the diabetes into remission, meaning my blood levels are in the non-diabetic range, but if I started eating high-carb food again I would be diabetic. As long as I continue to eat low carb it will stay in remission.
That's great news! It's the remission bit I am reading up on, fantastic.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone I am a "newbee". Diagnosed 5 days ago I have of course like everyone else done tons of research! Is anyone familiar with Richard Doughty who used to write for the Guardian, and reversed his diabetes by going on 800 calories a day until 1/6th of his body weight had been lost? This was several years ago and he is still doing well. I have seen many stories like this, one chap had had a heartattack due to diabetes, nearly lost a toe and reversed it all on 600 calories a day. They claim that on this low amount of cals, the fat is stripped from the liver and pancreas, allowing them to work properly again. Anyone? I was wondering whether to give it a go using the cambridge diet which offers vast vitamins etc. Would be interested to hear from anyone that has any knowledge on any of this? Thank you!

Foxy - I suggest you have a read of Professor Taylor's work (he devised the diet/programme), and also look at the leaflets and literature to share with your healthcare advisors. http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Many people on here have tried the diet, with many success stories, including @Pipp , but to be balanced, there are some for whom, for a number of reasons, it didn't suit. As you can see, I have tagged Pipp to pop into this thread, if she can, to offer a few words of first hand experience. As I understand it, Pipp did the programme a number of years ago, and has the same sustained benefits as she enjoyed as soon as she had completed it.

It's absolutely not an easy fix, and is only the first step in a different way of living. The diet appears to make a material change in how the body works, but then it must be maintained, including maintaining the weight loss, so there must be an acceptance that even once (or if) non-diabetic blood scores and indicators are returned, it is unlikely the individual can go back to their pre-diagnosis way of living. To do so could re-induce diabetic symptoms and signs.

Reactions: 4 people

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Foxy - I suggest you have a read of Professor Taylor's work (he devised the diet/programme), and also look at the leaflets and literature to share with your healthcare advisors. http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Many people on here have tried the diet, with many success stories, including @Pipp , but to be balanced, there are some for whom, for a number of reasons, it didn't suit. As you can see, I have tagged Pipp to pop into this thread, if she can, to offer a few words of first hand experience. As I understand it, Pipp did the programme a number of years ago, and has the same sustained benefits as she enjoyed as soon as she had completed it.

It's absolutely not an easy fix, and is only the first step in a different way of living. The diet appears to make a material change in how the body works, but then it must be maintained, including maintaining the weight loss, so there must be an acceptance that even once (or if) non-diabetic blood scores and indicators are returned, it is unlikely the individual can go back to their pre-diagnosis way of living. To do so could re-induce diabetic symptoms and signs.
Hi , thanks for the reply. I understand everything you are saying, and YES! if it did work, I realise that it would need maintaining afterwards, I think I will give it a go, got to be worth a try at least. Does anyone know the percentages in this, ie how many it worked for and how many it didnt, obviously based on people that maintained it, it's very interesting reading....Thanks again

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , thanks for the reply. I understand everything you are saying, and YES! if it did work, I realise that it would need maintaining afterwards, I think I will give it a go, got to be worth a try at least. Does anyone know the percentages in this, ie how many it worked for and how many it didnt, obviously based on people that maintained it, it's very interesting reading....Thanks again

The official data is all in the links I sent you.

If you do a search on the forum, using Newcastle Diet or Reversal in the search criteria you will return some interesting reading.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Maybe that's the fundamental difference in low calorie diets, which this thread is asking about, and low carb diets.

It does appear that low carb diets do as you say show diabetic symptoms if high carb food is eaten again, for some.
But low calorie diets with weight loss, that seem to send diabetes into remission do not show symptoms unless weight is regained.

Not to say that reverting to a diet of junk food after wouldn't cause problems, just that more carbs seem to be tolerated post newcastle diet than others.

I tried a low calorie diet myself, and now can manage a very good Mediterranean diet.
My previous life was classic junk food.
I don't go mad on carbs, but eat fresh food, not junk, but don't need to worry about the times I do eat carbs.
But I do watch my weight now as well.

I would suggest those that can manage it, should give it a go as the first line of defence as it were.
After that, choose a diet you find keeps your numbers were you want them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A point of note is that some people, including @Andrew Colvin , have been able to achieve the same results by using "real food", as opposed to the documented diet plan. I am also officially noted as "diabetes Resolved", having trimmed up and got my blood scores in order, although I did neither the ND or ND on Real Food. I just concentrated on my blood scores, the weight disappeared, and "Hey presto".

Obviously the description of my own situation is very simplistic, but it just about describes my approach and results.

Reactions: 3 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A point of note is that some people, including @Andrew Colvin , have been able to achieve the same results by using "real food", as opposed to the documented diet plan. I am also officially noted as "diabetes Resolved", having trimmed up and got my blood scores in order, although I did neither the ND or ND on Real Food. I just concentrated on my blood scores, the weight disappeared, and "Hey presto".

Obviously the description of my own situation is very simplistic, but it just about describes my approach and results.
What happens if you eat too many carbs now?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don't know if the percentages would help.
Type 2 develops for different reasons, i was 'lucky' enough to be a classic overweight, high percentage of body fat, and seemed to respond well to the low calorie diet.
Probably for the reasons it's supposed to work.
It was also quite easy to do, as I had managed to overeat to put myself where I was, so to me, I owed it to myself to under eat.
Some shakes brought back with me, and salad mainly, ratios varying depending on what I had at the time.
(A lot easier in the sun, than in the UK to be fair)
And knowing what overeating does, it's fairly easy to eat less now.