Is it ok to do porridge?

Libbaloo

I recently increased my intake of porridge oats thinking that it added fibre and would be low GI food, sprinkling it 'raw' into yoghurt / crème fraiche to make my breakfasts healthier. This was before Pre-diabetes diagnosis. I realise that porridge is still a carb - starch converts to sugar - so perhaps I should reduce or eliminate it? I realise this is a simplistic view as I am likely to be insulin resistant and a number of factors are at work here

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Simple answer - some can, some can't. Get a meter if you haven't already and see what it does.

Porridge does me no favours so I don't eat it, same as any cereal.

Reactions: 3 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I could not eat oats ...but test before and 2 hrs after and they you will know for sure.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one can answer your question because everyone of us reacts differently to the same foods. You need a home glucose meter so you can test before you eat and 2 hours after. That way you can see what that meal has done to your levels. On the whole, cereals are not generally a wise choice, but your body may cope with them in restricted quantities.

Libbaloo

If I am watching fruit intake and avoiding cereals, how do I get sufficient fibre in my diet.? I had deliberately increased porridge intake in order to help with cholesterol levels and good digestive transit and it was very effective.

So now I guess I'll have to wait for meter to see what effect the breakfast porridge rolled oats has. ..

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Plenty of fibre in green veg.

Reactions: 2 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are two things I am doing, the most important one is to measure my BC level, the other one is to calculate the carbs. I found that I am doing well with a small amount of porridge, mixed with other foods that are low-carb. People on this forum have different views and practises, so I can only speak for me. One way of getting fiber is to eat low-carb veg, and a lot of it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find I have replaced my lost fibre by introducing a generous amount of milled flaxseed to my daily yogurt. It works wonders for me.

Libbaloo

I haven't returned to porridge since I started on LC higher fat last week. Breakfast is now eggs and bacon/salmon flakes. I have to follow that with a measured number of sliced up berries with crème fraiche to start the day as well. I still need a fruit fix! The savoury and sweet combination is enjoyable.

I have recently bought a packet of milled flaxseed. Added a teaspoon to my crème fraiche this morning and will measure in 2 hours. Will need to check the label to see if there is any added sugar in the flaxseed. It tasted sweeter than I expected.

My husband is supportive, but jokes at new things in the cupboard and fridge but I am persevering!

My fasting levels as a pre-D are ranging between 5.7 and 6.4.... but I would like to see them come down to non D levels. Is that poss? During the day, they are still between 5 and 6 and on one occasion, 2hrs after lunch, I had a 7.4

How am I doing? Still only a week in and trying to walk the dog a bit faster (Labradors do lots of slow zig zag sniffing!) but the exercise bike is still being used as a clothes airer!:)

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Libbaloo Try the Lynwoods milled flaxseed. There are no carbs in it but plenty of fibre, protein and fat. I buy it at my local supermarket but you can buy direct from Lynwoods on the internet. I have a very heaped dessertspoon every day, mixed in with my yogurt and it works wonders! If the one you have is similar, I doubt a teaspoon will be of much use.

Anything is possible, your fasting numbers will come down. They are usually the last to show a lot of improvement. If they are usually between 5 and 6 during the day you are doing more than well! :)

Libbaloo

Thank you! I will buy some. Although I'm eating loads of greens .. Mostly spinach leaves, the reduced fibre intake is having effect one week into the LCHF. I any ideas re good veg please?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a veg lover, never have been. Peas and mushrooms, with cauli and broccoli on Sundays. :eek: I get most of my fibre from flaxseed and heavily seeded bread (the Lidl high protein rolls have tons of fibre and hardly any carbs)

jowi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a cooked oats eater, but after reading about 'resistant starch' and that RAW *uncooked* old fashioned (NOT 'quick') are high in it, I have added it to my diet. I make these 'oat ball' no-bake cookies that I'd be happy to share the recipe with you if you're interested. For me, I have not noticed that they are an issue, nor my husband who has full-blown Type II diabetes.

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think as one person wrote that personal testing is the best way to know for yourself. I eat raw old fashioned rolled oats regularly with cinnamon and no sugar and it does great for me.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a veg lover, never have been. Peas and mushrooms, with cauli and broccoli on Sundays. :eek: I get most of my fibre from flaxseed and heavily seeded bread (the Lidl high protein rolls have tons of fibre and hardly any carbs)

You wouldn't like my diet then. Husband will make a frittata, incorporating 200g spinach, 100g watercress, 30g sorrel and a bunch of spring onions. ;)

I can't do porridge at all, but luckily I don't miss it. My breakfasts tend to be either eggs of some kind or avocado.

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You wouldn't like my diet then. Husband will make a frittata, incorporating 200g spinach, 100g watercress, 30g sorrel and a bunch of spring onions. ;)

I can't do porridge at all, but luckily I don't miss it. My breakfasts tend to be either eggs of some kind or avocado.
All of the above sounds pretty healthy to me.