Poll - side effects from statins?

If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

• Total voters
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who is this Professor Collins? Hadn't heard of him. Do you have any links?
Well that's brightened my day. There is someone out there who has never heard Professor Collins.

He said that he never tested them for adverse side effects but would be willing to accept funding to prove they are harmless. Nice to see a complete lack of bias on his part.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well that's brightened my day. There is someone out there who has never heard Professor Collins.

He said that he never tested them for adverse side effects but would be willing to accept funding to prove they are harmless. Nice to see a complete lack of bias on his part.
Lol, nothing is "harmless".

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

Wishful thinking scientist, I'll prove something and disregard anything that might prove otherwise. Doesn't fill me with any confidence whatsoever. I suppose you might get funding if you start by saying "I want to prove they're harmless". A lot of people already know that they're not and some people have had even more severe reactions than muscle pain. I don't suppose going to a pharmaceutical company and saying "I want to prove they hurt people" would get much funding, in fact I'd say it would get nothing.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go, I come back but only to ask that now Prof. Collins has admitted that he never looked at side effects would it be a good time to ask who did?

Millions of people on an untested drug is what I am thinking.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Every time I think it's gone quiet, some stupid idiot in the Express or Mail will have headlines that say something like "statins prevent cancer" or "make you a better lover" or something equally stupid.
Ah so that's what I'm doing wrong in the bedroom. I'd better get on the statins! ;-)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing that bothers me most about statin side effects is that they are often delayed onset. Months after starting the tablets, apparently odd and random symptoms start.

How on earth is the average person going to connect their pain with the innocuous little tablet they have been taking for months? In addition, most statin users are older - prime candidates for odd, random aches and pains. Both they and their doc are HIGHLY unlikely to make the connection.

How many poor sods are there out there whose quality of life is being severely affected, and they haven't a clue that it is the statins causing the problem?

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah so that's what I'm doing wrong in the bedroom. I'd better get on the statins! ;-)
Well they certainly made me rigid but sadly in all the wrong places. The third statin I was put on made my shoulders hot with difficulty moving my head and arms. The first two just took the use of my legs away meaning I had to mostly stay in a chair for a month each time. Nothing insidious about them I found, straight off my legs.

Reactions: 3 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Since stopping them last year, I have felt human again... it's as though some festering fug had inhabited my body and mind.

As the song once went, "I can see clearly now..."

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
G

graj0

I go, I come back but only to ask that now Prof. Collins has admitted that he never looked at side effects would it be a good time to ask who did?

Millions of people on an untested drug is what I am thinking.
Just a gentle reminder, Merck Pharmaceutical knew in 1990 that there was a problem, hence their patent application. Try and read the patent, I don't understand 1/2 of it, but I understand enough to realise that this muscle pain thing is nothing new, in fact Merck actually explain why it happens. I'm just a little miffed about my GP giving me so much rubbish by way of explanation when I was taking statins in the early 2000s. In his defense, he was ignorant of the facts himself, GPs just do as they're told.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read the patent a couple of years ago and put a link on here at the time. They planned to put co-enzyme Q10 in it but didn't due to cost considerations. My DN is smarter than most and told me to get some Q10 from Holland and Barratts which I took while taking the statins. I don't like to think what would have happened if I had not followed her advice on that point.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I have just come across this thread and I have read through posters contributions

I am on Simvastatin and have been on it for 10 years

I have never thought of associating why my legs are always aching and sometimes I get red blotches on them intermittently

I do not know for certain if these can be attributed to Simvastatin so I have not voted on the poll as I am uncertain

Next time I see my GP I will ask some questions.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the red blotches interesting. When I was taking several tablets a day my face did not do well when I shaved. The shaved areas looked as though the top layer of skin had been removed as well as the hairs. I did not know what caused it but it stopped some considerable time after I stopped taking all pills. Your evidence might be relevant.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But do we know what form/doses/timings of Q-10 to take? Just taking it any old how won't do much ..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But do we know what form/doses/timings of Q-10 to take? Just taking it any old how won't do much ..
I was never given much/any guidance on that. As far as I remember I read the label on the bottle and just took what it indicated.

G

graj0

Ubiquinol is supposedly the best form, there is scant information on how much to take although Dr Mercola seems to think he has the answers, he suggests up to 600 mg depending on age, activity. WebMD say anything up to 1.2 gms, I know my poor old GP didn't have a clue. There are some countries which routinely give CoQ10 with statins, although Merck took out a patent in 1990, they did nothing with it. As for timings I use to take 3 X 200gms, with meals, I don't know if that's correct, it must have been from what I read on the bottle. You might like to look at whether ingesting CoQ10 overcomes the problem caused by statins, there seems to be different views. Personally it never took away the muscle pain for me, but I did continue to take it after throwing the statins away, for other reasons. The Japanese swear by it as a good supplement to help the heart.

G

graj0

I've just made a very important discovery and just because my MIL wanted to know how they make Tequila. This stuff is amazing, it's meant to avoid hangovers, lower cholesterol and lower BG. Have a google if you have a few hours spare. LOL
I think if my GP starts to have a go about statins and lowering cholesterol, I'll insist on trying tequila first.

Reactions: 4 people