Roast Pork, the best way to cook it ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't often cook a large joint of roast pork, but it was on offer in Morrison's, so we are having it today for Sunday dinner.
What is your best way to cook your roast and have the best crunchy tasty crackling, with out drying the meat out.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dry the outside using kitchen paper. Make sure there are enough deep slits in the skin. Dry again. Salt the outside (sometimes I lightly oi the outside before salting, sometimes I forget - have never analysed the difference, t's all hit and miss for me!). I salt all the outside, not just the skin, but I make sure I really salt in the slits on the skin. Make holes with skewers and stuff garlic and/or rosemary in them. Cook at high temp for 20 mins (200 deg C), then down to 180 for however long depending on weight.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put the joint in a very low oven gas mark 1 in a covered roasting tin with a few sage leaves and onion pushed under the skin Leave for 5 or 6 hours Then remove the skin and put in a hot oven until crisp while keeping the meat warm
CAROL

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks very much carty and Rosie.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have then same in the oven at the moment @Robinredbreast - that was a good deal!

I take the skin and about 2/3rd of the fat off and make my crackling separately- salt it and lay it flat on a tray. The pork I wrap in foil and put it in a tray with some water and some root veg and roast it slowly about 20 mins to the lb plus 20 mins. Then rest it for about 15 mins before slicing - not having ours until this evening but strangely there is never any crackling left to serve with it, only God knows what happens to it

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to go out today so I tried @carty's version and put the joint in at 10am on 100degC. We ate at just after 5pm and it was delicious. I kept the rind to grille for crackling tomorrow. I made a gravy from some leftover chicken stock, some of the onion from the baking tray and a stock cube and we had steamed veg with it. Super, thanks.
I recall once enjoying a leg of lamb that sat in the oven at 70degC all day.

Reactions: 5 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you liked it@DeejayR It works very well with lamb shoulder I add rosemary and garlic ,and also with cheaper beef joints like Brisket which I cover with horseradish sauce
CAROL

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brisket which I cover with horseradish sauce
Do you make your own horseradish sauce? I can't find one in the shops that doesn't ruin its bite with too much sugar. And I'd like to be able to use it fairly freely.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Do you make your own horseradish sauce? I can't find one in the shops that doesn't ruin its bite with too much sugar. And I'd like to be able to use it fairly freely.

3 tbsp freshly grated horseradish
125 ml double cream
1 tbsp cider vinegar
Whip the cream until if holds soft peaks, stir in the horseradish and vinegar. Season to taste. It will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days