Diabetes and benefits

Debs1960

I am type 2 diabetic, I also have ulcerative colitis, my diabetic nurse has just changed all my insulin and given me a tablet to take as well as my sitagliptin, my colitis affects my joints and sometimes it is even hard to get out of bed in the mornings. Does anyone know if I can claim some sort of benefits?

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Such a difficult one to answer, I'm not sure how you'd find out but you could get in touch with your local Citizens Advice and ask them to advise you further.

Reactions: 2 people

Knoxee99

I think citizens advice is your best bet as they have lots of experience in helping people maximise their benefits that they will be able to estimate your success. Good Luck

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might be able to get something for the UC but nothing is certain these days - you can be on your death bed (literally!) and they'll still try and say you're 'fit for work'.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
was not aware you could claim benefits as was told by a friend they had stopped her child's benefit who was Type 1...never claimed anything so am unsure :(

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's long been common for a child's Disability Living Allowance to end the day before their 16th birthday. Now, all new claims from over 16s are for Personal Independence Payment, not DLA.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i was on dla for depression but received a p.i.p form, filled it in and got turned down,also said about being type 2 and was told that is not classed as an illness, which i thought was fair

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Diabetes not classed as an illness? well it alters your lifestyle and your mood at times :arghh:

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
isn't it classed as chronic illness and disability? don't like the words but I think that's what they class it as

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only for working in employment is diabetes classified as a illness that may affect your ability to work... To cover for hypo's etc... But as for a disabilty to stop working and claim benefits... No. It is not classified as a disabilty
In this scenario.

Obesity is now being briefed out as coming under discrimination.. And this is really what diabetes is when working.. Its classified just to stop people being discriminated against....

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It's not what illness or condition that you it's how that condition affects you. Diabetes unless you have major complications s not a reason for being paid DLA or PIP.

Reactions: 12 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
its very random all the classing of it

Totally agree but with so many diabetics nowadays they couldn't risk all of us claiming benefits... So better to ensure we are not discriminated against whilst working!! -cheaper and better to be honest..

Diabetes in itself if managed should not be a reason for a benefit.
It is actually recognised that working or volunteering or being occupied does improve all round health.. Not just diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeh I was diagnosed 8 years before someone said benefits could be. I also was asked if I came under the diability act, do we?

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance and cruelty to animals and people
Hi, ive been type 1 Diabetic for 22 years now and I have been receiving Lower case DLA since I was 13. They didn't stop it when I turned 16. I do have Diabetic complications but not until I turned 22.
If you are on lower case DLA then you do not come under the Disability Act, that is only for Higher Case.

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
If your a Diabetic Type 1 and have Diabetic Neuropathy, Sensory Nerve problems, High Thyroid problems and left eye centre vision blurred due to retinal vein problems in the eye can you claim PIP for help and support as I have been made to work p/t due to health issues physically and even maybe not at all soon depending which way this Diabetic Neuropathy goes and the Sensory nerve problems as I have been signed off work for 4wks now fighting the illness. Any suggestions or information on this would be great help thank you.
Angela T

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Angela_T

Wishing you well as you're facing issues I'd hate to wrestle with. All the best :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If your a Diabetic Type 1 and have Diabetic Neuropathy, Sensory Nerve problems, High Thyroid problems and left eye centre vision blurred due to retinal vein problems in the eye can you claim PIP for help and support as I have been made to work p/t due to health issues physically and even maybe not at all soon depending which way this Diabetic Neuropathy goes and the Sensory nerve problems as I have been signed off work for 4wks now fighting the illness. Any suggestions or information on this would be great help thank you.
Angela T
Hi Angela, it doesn't matter what illness or condition you have it's how it affects your day to day living. Also you can claim PIP whilst working full time as far as I know it's not taxable either.

Reactions: 4 people