Metformin and gut flora

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was Googling 'gut health after antibiotics' for my mother and that led me to wonder about Metformin and its' renowned GI sensitivity.

What I found, astonished me. Metformin is being used, along with a low carb diet, by people with Hepatitis C - the virus evidently piggybacks on triglycerides and VLDL from carbs. A study showed that despite the GI effects we all know and hate, Metformin is ultimately good for the stomach. It increases the conditions ideal for a bacterium called Akkermansia.

http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/metformins-unusual-mechanisms-lower.html

Seventy per cent of poo is dead bacteria and there are trillions of bacteria in your stomach, which weigh up to 3lbs. The vast majority of your immune system lives in your GI tract too.

Dr Jason Fung said that diabetes is a dietary disease. Dr Mark Hyman wrote about bad gut health leading to Type 2. I'm extrapolating here, but what if one of the major causes of diabetes is bad bacteria overwhelming the good gut flora, causing inflammation. ? Could the extreme mass expulsion of dead bacteria be caused by the establishment of stronger Akkermansia colonies, fighting back ? Could the rebalancing of gut flora in favour of the goodies, be a key factor in bringing down the numbers, because higher numbers of Akkermansia are beavering away feeding off the glucose ??

Just a few random thoughts.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I always take a acidophilus probiotic capsule with each meal.

flossymartin05

Does anyone else take probiotics Just developed gastritis recently.....taking Rabeprazole at present but was wondering about probiotics...Are there any sugar free..Low carb ones like actimel etc?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That was interesting .. but I had very bad stomach cramps .. So bad, Life was not worth living .. never got to try the slow release version as it took me around a month to get back to normal, and did not want to try them. Never again would I take Metformin .. I don't take a probiotic .. but I am a vegetarian and eat lots of fresh veg, so hope I don't need them. :bag: