Bad experiences at Royal Victoria, Belfast

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I wondered if anyone else is having problems with the Royal Victoria hospital diabetes clinic in belfast?
I haven't had an appointment since the month review of my first pump last year. I find them defensive, passive aggressive and frankly useless. Drs seem to be ok but seeing them is like winning the lotto. I only changed to them as the cify hospital don't have pump training.
Then last week my partner was also diagnosed. They told him he was fine with an expert like me in the house and sent him on his way. No review appt, leaflets, nada. His gp said they behaved unprofessionally.
I'd like to hear of anyone else having problems with them, some camaraderie please.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi
I wondered if anyone else is having problems with the Royal Victoria hospital diabetes clinic in belfast?
I haven't had an appointment since the month review of my first pump last year. I find them defensive, passive aggressive and frankly useless. Drs seem to be ok but seeing them is like winning the lotto. I only changed to them as the cify hospital don't have pump training.
Then last week my partner was also diagnosed. They told him he was fine with an expert like me in the house and sent him on his way. No review appt, leaflets, nada. His gp said they behaved unprofessionally.
I'd like to hear of anyone else having problems with them, some camaraderie please.
You and your partner might want to make formal complaints. Apparently there are NHS people who will take actions such as allowing people to see alternative doctors.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks CatLadyNZ. I'd really rather not. Neither of us are emotionally strong enough for the bother of it. I'm hoping to get transferred to another trust that we border on. Then Ronan could once he's more settled in himself.
I know they'd know it was me if used an advocate - they think badly of me already.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks CatLadyNZ. I'd really rather not. Neither of us are emotionally strong enough for the bother of it. I'm hoping to get transferred to another trust that we border on. Then Ronan could once he's more settled in himself.
I know they'd know it was me if used an advocate - they think badly of me already.
I've reached the point that I don't care if an incompetent health professional thinks badly of me. They are the ones who are putting people's health at risk because they aren't doing their job properly, we the patients have done nothing wrong. As long as you can see people who are competent enough to be entrusted with your medical care, that's the main thing, IMO.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds good. Afraid we're just too fragile at the mo. X

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reactions: 2 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear @LizzieNI. Surprised as I have several friends who are doctors throughout the Royal and generally heard good reports. However, I will ask them what they think of the diabetic clinic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree changing doctors/hospital may be needed. Otherwise you need to take control. You probably, like many of us, know a lot about diabetes and enough to ask the right questions, have the right diet and suggest appropriate medication. I had to suggest Gliclazide to my first diabetes GP because he hadn't a clue and he agreed to prescribe it.

Reactions: 4 people