Always eating sweet stuff?

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

When I was diagnosed as type 1 I was told I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I took insulin for it. Now I think I'm taking that to a whole new level. Lately I've been eating a lot of carby meals at McDonald's (I work there so we get it free at lunch) and after work as well with with a lot of sweet stuff like strawberry frozen lemonade and mcflurrys. Is this ok? As long as I'm taking insulin for all the stuff in eating. I'm not having any spikes by the way. I'm usually around 6gl/mmol. I also have from time to time an Oasis. This doesn't cause me any spikes as long as I'm having insulin and apparently that has like 20-40 carbs in?

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst we should all make 'healthy choices' yes, as long as you take the correct insulin you can eat whatever you want.

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I agree, but if you reduced the carbs and replaced them with healthy options (not McDs) you'll find you need to inject less insulin. I thought it would be great to eat whatever I wanted, but decided I'd go down the healthy route, reduce the carbs and insulin and I feel better for it. It is of course entirely your choice.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi there

When I was diagnosed as type 1 I was told I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I took insulin for it. Now I think I'm taking that to a whole new level. Lately I've been eating a lot of carby meals at McDonald's (I work there so we get it free at lunch) and after work as well with with a lot of sweet stuff like strawberry frozen lemonade and mcflurrys. Is this ok? As long as I'm taking insulin for all the stuff in eating. I'm not having any spikes by the way. I'm usually around 6gl/mmol. I also have from time to time an Oasis. This doesn't cause me any spikes as long as I'm having insulin and apparently that has like 20-40 carbs in?

Like non-diabetics we should be trying to follow a healthy diet wherever possible, McDonald's are OK for a occasional treat if you like that sort of food but I don't think its something that you should be eating everyday, likewise with the other sweet stuff, but the choice is yours @TakeItAway88

Reactions: 4 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you really like sweet things, I'd recommend this http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910000770902 it's a flavoured water that contains no carbohydrates it has a really sweet taste. Also eating a lot of carbohydrates decreases insulin sensitivity so eventually you will need more insulin than your usual ratio so it's best to limit the amount if possible, a lot of exercise increases insulin sensitivity so also try to stay active.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Problem longer term may be weight increase as lots of Carbs and sugars will obviously cause this unless you are very active and exercise too.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@TakeItAway88

I believe you've been given some good advice ... please heed it ..... the line of least resistance (injecting to compensate for what you eat) is not the path I'd take; especially when you are in the driver's seat.

Reactions: 7 people

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been known to consume the odd maccys frozen lemonade because on a hot day they are really refreshing. I do like you and take the extra insulin. Don't think I'd want to do it every day though as the more insulin you have the bigger the potential errors in calculation can be.

We can't have the day off from diabetes but the odd day off watching what you eat won't kill you as long as you do dose adjust for it.

Maybe try and cut down the really sweet stuff that's essentially empty carbs, like the drinks, and save them for days when you feel like having 'a day off'.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have from time to time an Oasis. This doesn't cause me any spikes as long as I'm having insulin and apparently that has like 20-40 carbs in?

Do you have any longer acting carbs with the "Oasis"? Something like a roll with it..?

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TakeItAway88

I believe you've been given some good advice ... please heed it ..... the line of least resistance (injecting to compensate for what you eat) is not the path I'd take; especially when you are in the driver's seat.
So you can get resistance to insulin you say? I'm in early days of my diabetes and I'm not obese or anything. In reality I'm actually super skinny.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Do you ever have anything remotely healthy or low carb? I ask as it looks as though you're happy to continue high carbs and high insulin, in which case there's not much we can help you with. Good luck with your life style.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I don't agree with the advice you can have anything you like and cover it with insulin; that is rather silly advice. Do this and you will almost certainly gain weight and insulin resistance. Once you have insulin resistance the injected insulin won't work well and you will be in a vicious spiral. So, the main thing is to keep you BMI in the right range and be aware of the need to avoid internally deposited fat. Control the carbs and you can have excess occasionally.

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I don't agree with the advice you can have anything you like and cover it with insulin; that is rather silly advice. Do this and you will almost certainly gain weight and insulin resistance. Once you have insulin resistance the injected insulin won't work well and you will be in a vicious spiral. So, the main thing is to keep you BMI in the right range and be aware of the need to avoid internally deposited fat. Control the carbs and you can have excess occasionally.
Ok thank you.

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you ever have anything remotely healthy or low carb? I ask as it looks as though you're happy to continue high carbs and high insulin, in which case there's not much we can help you with. Good luck with your life style.
No I don't eat unhealthy all the time. I just can't help eating that stuff when it tastes so good If I didn't I have diabetes I could probably get away with it, which makes it so hard.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems as though so far you have been fortunate .
Longer term I hope you have no regrets. I believed that young people/ people newly diagnosed with Diabetes can be told 'you can eat most things but some in moderation' This allows easier adjustment and acceptance / less change in diet initially. Eventually it is up to the individual to learn about and understand the whole picture and benefits of reducing high carb/sugery foods. I wish you well.

Reactions: 3 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
No I don't eat unhealthy all the time. I just can't help eating that stuff when it tastes so good If I didn't I have diabetes I could probably get away with it, which makes it so hard.
No, you won't get away with it as you put it. You're going to pay the price of a life time of junk food. The human body was never designed to deal with junk food, chemicals, preservatives etc. We need a balanced diet with as few additives as possible. A perfectly cooked steak with lots of fresh veg and perhaps a sprinkling of fried onions far outweighs a McD's heavily processed, minced cocktail of who knows what, that they call a burger. I used to enjoy a McD about once a month, but since diagnosis I haven't touched them, not even as a treat as I don't see them as a treat anymore.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

You don't have to deny yourself a treat from time-to-time, its all about keeping things in moderation and its best to try and eat a varied diet high in fruits & veg.

Reactions: 6 people