Need help.

Tellybear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've just found out I'm pregnant 2 days ago and I don't know if I should keep taking my metformin and if it's safe to keep taking them? As I won't be able to talk to my diabetic nurse until Tuesday.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I've just found out I'm pregnant 2 days ago and I don't know if I should keep taking my metformin and if it's safe to keep taking them? As I won't be able to talk to my diabetic nurse until Tuesday.

Don't know if this is any help......

Family planning and pregnancy
Most medicines, in some way, can affect the development of a baby in the womb. The effect on the baby differs between medicines and also depends on the stage of pregnancy that you have reached when you take the medicine.

In the case of Metformin hydrochloride:

• if you become pregnant, or think you have become pregnant while taking Metformin hydrochloride, you must contact your prescriber
People with diabetes may start to have insulin instead of Metformin hydrochloride to control their blood sugar during pregnancy. If you are taking Metformin hydrochloride and are planning to become pregnant, become pregnant or think that you are pregnant, talk to a member of your diabetes team. For more information on managing your diet and your diabetes during your pregnancy, talk to your prescriber or a member of your diabetes or antenatal team.

Full text here.....
http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/p...=metformin&preparationMetformin 500mg tablets

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't stopped taking metformin since becoming pregnant (now 18+5).

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You may be able to get an answer on this by calling NHS Direct on 111.

dblil7677

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on your baby news! :) I am in the first trimester too and have been told to stay on metformin for the whole pregnancy..they even increased the dose..but I am not sure whether that was due to my diabetes or my PCOS as I know that they use metformin for that too. However, both my DNS and consultant said metformin was safe and helped the body deal with the additional insulin resistance cause by pregnancy hormones.

Tellybear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations on your baby news! :) I am in the first trimester too and have been told to stay on metformin for the whole pregnancy..they even increased the dose..but I am not sure whether that was due to my diabetes or my PCOS as I know that they use metformin for that too. However, both my DNS and consultant said metformin was safe and helped the body deal with the additional insulin resistance cause by pregnancy hormones.

Thanks and you too, I'm on insulin now 4 times a day and have to go to the hospital every 2 weeks to get checked on. I'd rather take metformin as I hate needles lol

dblil7677

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks and you too, I'm on insulin now 4 times a day and have to go to the hospital every 2 weeks to get checked on. I'd rather take metformin as I hate needles lol

I know the feeling! Lol. I am a huge needle phobe too but since falling pregnant I have had to adjust my insulin loads! Twinned with daily heparin shots I am surprised I do not leak when I drink anything!!! Lol :p

Tellybear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know the feeling! Lol. I am a huge needle phobe too but since falling pregnant I have had to adjust my insulin loads! Twinned with daily heparin shots I am surprised I do not leak when I drink anything!!! Lol :p

Haha yeah same lol, I was going to get my boyfriend to inject me but she said I have to do myself :( but so worth it for my baby, how many weeks are you?

dblil7677

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I started doing the injections myself at first but every little twinge I would take it out and try another site...I ended up looking like a dart board! Lol! Now my OH does it thankfully!! I am 11+1 weeks, how far along are you? x

Tellybear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I started doing the injections myself at first but every little twinge I would take it out and try another site...I ended up looking like a dart board! Lol! Now my OH does it thankfully!! I am 11+1 weeks, how far along are you? x

I'm 7+3 weeks, did you have bad sickness, cause I am, I can hardly eat