Back on track...

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, it is time to get back on the wagon again... I have now been type 2 diabetic for 6 years and feel like I'm on the normal path for one of us. Steady increase of blood sugars and more and more drugs. Although I still only take metformin, I will be put on another new type drug if my levels don't come down.

In a nut shell, I think that spurred me into action and I've looked back at my previous posts here and the information I gathered when I was first diagnosed. I had in fact forgotten my 3 stone weight loss in 2 months and incredibly improved hba1c results. I've been in denial and it's a funny thing how one's mind can play tricks on you.

I started 2 weeks ago and went down to about 40g carbs per day for the first week and last week I was eating between 20 and 30. I've decided not to weigh myself often, but maybe once monthly and just go by how my clothes fit. I tend to get obsessive and that is what has always ruined my efforts.

I've just developed a headache in addition to my extreme grumpiness and I suppose it's the keto flu, although I had a lot to drink on Friday. Spirits and diet coke tho, and no carb feasting either as we had a barbecue... no alcohol for me for a few weeks I think, until my body has gotten used to its low carb state...

Reactions: 7 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Skal

Your back on it...good for you.

I totally understand the whole dismissing your own efforts and achievements, not acknowledging goals reached.
I have been only diagnosed only a few months and I am still finding my groove....LCHF seems to work best for my BS's, I've also lost a lot of weight on it, I will find out next month how much for both.

But the level of intensity and frankly fear, that is required to monitor my diet, is exhauating sometimes. Coupled with the 'everyday' stresses it does my head in. So thank you for posting, and good luck.

GC

Reactions: 6 people

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, it is intense and annoying at times. You have to be creative to tweak foods and dishes to beat cravings to submission. My will power is non existent as a rule and I was wallowing in carb heaven so naturally had massive concerns about the whole thing...

It has been easier this time, probably because of most of the ground work I did those years ago as previous lessons and learnings have come back to me. And I try and keep it simple, meat, cheese, mostly green veg and water. I have had no need to buy complicated protein bars and branded low carb stuff as I did before. My Atkins choc orange bar is in the cupboard and I have had a 1 cm piece of it last week.
My housemate made these amazing flax meal and parmesan crackers that just call for cream cheese, pate and butter and they are so delicious! It seems to be about the little things...

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Yes, it is intense and annoying at times. You have to be creative to tweak foods and dishes to beat cravings to submission. My will power is non existent as a rule and I was wallowing in carb heaven so naturally had massive concerns about the whole thing...

It has been easier this time, probably because of most of the ground work I did those years ago as previous lessons and learnings have come back to me. And I try and keep it simple, meat, cheese, mostly green veg and water. I have had no need to buy complicated protein bars and branded low carb stuff as I did before. My Atkins choc orange bar is in the cupboard and I have had a 1 cm piece of it last week.
My housemate made these amazing flax meal and parmesan crackers that just call for cream cheese, pate and butter and they are so delicious! It seems to be about the little things...
Good on you for getting back on track. I'm trying to do that too.

The crackers sound amazing... do you have the recipe? :)

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1/2 cup if flax meal, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan, 1 egg, pinch of rosemary or other herbs. Mix in a bowl and roll under a cling film into a thin layer. Precut the grid lines for crackers before baking in 175 degrees for 12 minutes. Check for crispness, separate the cooked ones and return the thicker ones in for a further few minutes if needed. And boy,they are yummy! With negligible carbs, I believe it is about 2 g per batch...

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
1/2 cup if flax meal, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan, 1 egg, pinch of rosemary or other herbs. Mix in a bowl and roll under a cling film into a thin layer. Precut the grid lines for crackers before baking in 175 degrees for 12 minutes. Check for crispness, separate the cooked ones and return the thicker ones in for a further few minutes if needed. And boy,they are yummy! With negligible carbs, I believe it is about 2 g per batch...
Awesome! thanks.

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am finding it hard...I'm hungry all the time, even using nuts,berries, cheese etc to satisfy hunger pangs. I don't think I've got the hang of it yet, don't find it easy. I purchased the carbs and cals book and trying to follow suggestions. I hate anything to do with the kitchen especially cooking so that doesn't help. I have no motivation and have always been like that. Partner does great job of cooking and shopping, taking into account my requirements for my diabetes.I miss my carbs bread, potatoes etc.....

Reactions: 2 people

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fred1234, I can understand your dilemma... I lack motivation as well, my diabetes hasn't made me ill so it's hard to work on something that feels so extreme... but, my whole family has severe history of diabetes and I've seen first hand what it does to you. I also work in operating theatres so the reminder is there constantly...
It's like carbs are a drug, at least as addictive as heroin. For some people it means they are hooked instantly and then struggle immensely to rid themselves from it. I love carbs, potatoes and rice, fresh crusty bread... just thinking of them makes my mouth water. But I understand that they don't love me... so I have to search for substitutes... not quite the same, but still amazing. Plus, I would rather have a pile of cheese and pate and cream and butter than potatoes as the fatty stuff is actually not making me fat, the starch is. And that is even without mentioning the blood sugars and health risks. .. I use mashed cauliflower with butter and cheese instead of potato mash, make dauphinoise from butternut squash and keep a few sugarfree sweets in the cupboard. Along some pork scratchings...
I snack on nuts, boiled eggs, parma ham, smoked salmon, chicken mini fillets, cucumber, pate and celery etc when I'm hungry between meals. I still marvel at the fact that I can eat all that yumminess without gaining even more weight, well losing it actually, and that my blood sugars love fat and protein too!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it starts with the supermarket shop. If you don't have it in the fridge and cupboards, you can't eat it.

When I'm in Sainsbury's, at the checkout, behind some huge woman with three multi-packs of crisps, loads of chocolate and the odd token diet yogurt, I have a visual reminder that the food I eat is much healthier and that I'm doing the right thing.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I am finding it hard...I'm hungry all the time, even using nuts,berries, cheese etc to satisfy hunger pangs. I don't think I've got the hang of it yet, don't find it easy. I purchased the carbs and cals book and trying to follow suggestions. I hate anything to do with the kitchen especially cooking so that doesn't help. I have no motivation and have always been like that. Partner does great job of cooking and shopping, taking into account my requirements for my diabetes.I miss my carbs bread, potatoes etc.....
I guess I'm lucky in that the actual eating has been quite easy for me. I just miss beer. Proper quality cask ales.. I really miss those.
If you'd like us to suggest something that might help with the hunger pangs, how about you post what your typical day's food looks like?

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for that...I was just talking with my mum about missing the 'crunch', crisps and crackers missed more than cakes and sweets...
So tomorrow I am making these after a parmesan run...

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just had to celebrate with some coconut yogurt! 1 hr post 2 course meal bs 7.4. Two weeks ago it could have been anything from 9 to 14. :woot::wacky::):D:cat::happy:

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm enjoying this way of eating after having a very unpleasant keto flu. Even during that I wasn't really tempted because I had crackers and cheese and olives and such for snacks. My blood sugars are slowly coming down and finally I am mostly under ten again...:rolleyes:

Last night I improvised some different crackers at home and here is the recipe:
1dl soya flour
3tbsp mixed seeds
1 egg
Salt pepper
1 dl grated mature cheddar
Dash of cream

Mix all together until you have a thick batter adjusting the cream as required. Roll onto baking parchment to about 3-5 mm layer,precut some lines but being careful with the seeds. Bake in 170 degrees for 12-15 minutes until crispy. I grated some more cheddar on top just coz I like them cheesy.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right, I'm getting slightly disconcerted now,after low carbing for nearly three weeks, my blood sugars are not coming down as I'd like. They have varied between 7 and 10 which is significantly better than before but still too high. I exercise as well and have been very vigilant with food but the well started weight loss has also stopped. At my weight of over 16 stone I can't even blame muscle building for the lack of weight loss.

I have no intention of stopping low carbing and still have no real cravings but just feel fed up... once I finish my contract away at the end of the month,it's time to see the professionals and do some research about the next gen diabetic drugs as my nurse isn't keen on putting me on gliclazide or insulin at this stage... grrrr

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@skal The same thing is happening to me. I've been low carbing for nearly 3 weeks, and although the levels are less than before, they are nowhere near where I want them. I lost weight the first week, put 1lb back on the 2nd week and I'm yet to measure this week.
I was recommended to consider insulin and to have the conversation with my nurse when I see her next. I'm going to give it another 3 weeks and see if I make anymore progress but after that, it's time to reconsider the meds as I feel so much better low carbing.

I hope things stabilise for you soon.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What is your metformin dose? Might there be room to increase it? What have your fasting BGs been for the last week? (I know this unlikely but) are you sure there aren't hidden carbs finding their way in? You were sounding really positive when you posted on Tuesday.

I'm not overly impressed with the "newer drugs" and there is some info about them, and the question of insulin, here:

Summaries of all the diabetes drugs
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/17977284.php

Insulin:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

Detailed info on each drug type:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/sp2index.php

At the end of the say, it's your body, and if your nurse refuses to prescribe what you feel is best for you, then a different nurse or doctor might. But getting the most out of low carbing is the priority for now, I think?

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies! Yeah, I was super positive :happy: and I still am. Low carbing itself is all good, I'm much less obsessive about food, eating less and generally feel less bloated, more even keeled (I'm a bit like a barrel of gunpowder temper wise:***:). Also, I still have high hopes of this situation improving but I'm impatient... when I did it first, I was newly diagnosed mid thirties and now I'm 6 years diagnosed, been very naughty and over 40. It's bound to be slower progress... :confused:
I've reviewed all my days of eating last week or so and my carb intake has varied between 10 and 30 g per day and there gas been no real difference in my trends. It seems my morning bg has gone from about 12 + to about 8-10 and then it steadily comes down during the day to 7-8. My metformin dose is maxed out too.:facepalm:
I'm going to knock booze out apart from a glass of red wine here and there :bigtears: and will have a few days of just cutting even more carbs out. I'm quite determined and even today I stood in front of my a chilled heel, paprika crisps and garlic dip and pondered if I fancied it. I didn't. :***: actually felt a bit sickened by the thought of crunching away on them.
Patience is a virtue they say...;):cool::eek::rolleyes::banghead::cyclops::grumpy::happy::hilarious::joyful::shifty::wacky::wideyed::woot::***::yuck:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for your replies! Yeah, I was super positive :happy: and I still am. Low carbing itself is all good, I'm much less obsessive about food, eating less and generally feel less bloated, more even keeled (I'm a bit like a barrel of gunpowder temper wise:***:). Also, I still have high hopes of this situation improving but I'm impatient... when I did it first, I was newly diagnosed mid thirties and now I'm 6 years diagnosed, been very naughty and over 40. It's bound to be slower progress... :confused:
I've reviewed all my days of eating last week or so and my carb intake has varied between 10 and 30 g per day and there gas been no real difference in my trends. It seems my morning bg has gone from about 12 + to about 8-10 and then it steadily comes down during the day to 7-8. My metformin dose is maxed out too.:facepalm:
I'm going to knock booze out apart from a glass of red wine here and there :bigtears: and will have a few days of just cutting even more carbs out. I'm quite determined and even today I stood in front of my a chilled heel, paprika crisps and garlic dip and pondered if I fancied it. I didn't. :***: actually felt a bit sickened by the thought of crunching away on them.
Patience is a virtue they say...;):cool::eek::rolleyes::banghead::cyclops::grumpy::happy::hilarious::joyful::shifty::wacky::wideyed::woot::***::yuck:
Love the emoticons :) Crikey, you are doing great with low carbing, and on a maxed out dose of metformin, but your BGs are not showing it yet. Keep up the good work and stay positive :cool: Maybe you just need a bit more time.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe! In any case I will be booking in to see my nurse for a review and a discussion on the drugs. As a health care professional :doctor: I'm quite on the ball with these things... this gp is very good and is giving me lancets and strips :woot: which I've never gotten before...

I'll just keep an eye on things and will try and get to the gym a bit more often for now....:cool::blackeye::eek:

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I never... after that almighty rant I took my blood sugar 1 hr after eating blueberries and cream and I am 6.2. Gobsmacked...