help

katanga

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi ive just joined my name is julie im 49 been diagnosed 20 months ago when had a heart attack im on novamix 30 and i still cant control my sugar levels and nobody can give me any answers not even the consultant i really need help

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
hi ive just joined my name is julie im 49 been diagnosed 20 months ago when had a heart attack im on novamix 30 and i still cant control my sugar levels and nobody can give me any answers not even the consultant i really need help
Hi julie or @katanga ,

I have been using mixed insulin for almost 1 year and have seen my a1c fall from 16.8% to 6.4%. I started out on Novomix30 and my BG's were all over the place. But now I use humalog mix25 and I saw an improvement in stability when I switched over. Not all insulins are created equal and what suits 1 person will not suit another. There is also a 50/50 mix available. I'd suggest that you ask your endo' or GP if you can try something different.

Tell us all what you're eating, what your BG numbers are and (just maybe) we can suggest something else. Have you been given a rapid acting insulin for sick days?

Welcome to the forums, good to see ya.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you can't control your sugars on mixed insulin then do ask for the Basal/Bolus regime. This involves two insulins and gives complete control. It means more injections but you have a one-a-day insulin and ameal-time insulin which is adjusted for meal-time carbs. I'm surprised your consultant hasn't offered this option. It is offered as standrad for T2s but should be offered for T2s if mixed doesn't control you. BTW what is your BMI? If not overweight and age 49 you might possibly be T1 anyway.

katanga

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi julie or @katanga ,

I have been using mixed insulin for almost 1 year and have seen my a1c fall from 16.8% to 6.4%. I started out on Novomix30 and my BG's were all over the place. But now I use humalog mix25 and I saw an improvement in stability when I switched over. Not all insulins are created equal and what suits 1 person will not suit another. There is also a 50/50 mix available. I'd suggest that you ask your endo' or GP if you can try something different.

Tell us all what you're eating, what your BG numbers are and (just maybe) we can suggest something else. Have you been given a rapid acting insulin for sick days?

Welcome to the forums, good to see ya.
hi thank you for replying i have 1 slice of toast sometimes boiled egg for breakfast normally soup or sandwich for lunch then normally chicken rice or potatoes for dinner, since i was diagnosed my blood levels are between 8 and 11 and sometimes it drops really quick to less than 5 then now for over a week it keep climbing to 17 18 then 14 15 12 11 and its causes headaches tiredness dizziness i seen endo on friday all he said was just take 12 units in morn and 14 at dinnertime as they dont know what type of diabetes i have we are just waiting for results. and no i never been given anything but novamix

katanga

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you can't control your sugars on mixed insulin then do ask for the Basal/Bolus regime. This involves two insulins and gives complete control. It means more injections but you have a one-a-day insulin and ameal-time insulin which is adjusted for meal-time carbs. I'm surprised your consultant hasn't offered this option. It is offered as standrad for T2s but should be offered for T2s if mixed doesn't control you. BTW what is your BMI? If not overweight and age 49 you might possibly be T1 anyway.
thank you i have tried metformin it doesnt agree with me, and my consultant has never offered me nothing, my bmi is 26 also since been on insulin ive gained weight and i never eat big meals or anything sugary, i just need help to live without headaches and dizziness and tiredness which happens when sugar levels go sky high especially this week for no reason i havent changed anything but just keeps getting higher .

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hi thank you for replying i have 1 slice of toast sometimes boiled egg for breakfast normally soup or sandwich for lunch then normally chicken rice or potatoes for dinner, since i was diagnosed my blood levels are between 8 and 11 and sometimes it drops really quick to less than 5 then now for over a week it keep climbing to 17 18 then 14 15 12 11 and its causes headaches tiredness dizziness i seen endo on friday all he said was just take 12 units in morn and 14 at dinnertime as they dont know what type of diabetes i have we are just waiting for results. and no i never been given anything but novamix

Hi @katanga ,
At the risk of sounding patronising, do you understand the connection between carbohydrates and blood glucose levels? I ask this because you are eating spuds and rice and if you're eating largish portions it's going to give you a glucose spike.

Bread and pasta can also be problematic and it may not take much to get your BG levels up.

katanga

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @katanga ,
At the risk of sounding patronising, do you understand the connection between carbohydrates and blood glucose levels? I ask this because you are eating spuds and rice and if you're eating largish portions it's going to give you a glucose spike.
hi to be honest no i dont understand ive had the dietician visit me and she gave me a meal plan and no i only eat small portions as i cant eat big portions

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ok, well all carbohydrates turn into glucose fairly easily inside the body (sugar is a carbohydrate) but the foods that I mentioned above, pasta, rice, potato and bread can be an issue for us. Some people cannot tolerate breakfast cereals and get large glucose spikes.

I assume that you are having sugar free drinks and not eating too much fruit in the way of apples, bananas, grapes etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

katanga

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, well all carbohydrates turn into glucose fairly easily inside the body (sugar is a carbohydrate) but the foods that I mentioned above, pasta, rice, potato and bread can be an issue for us. Some people cannot tolerate breakfast cereals and get large glucose spikes.

I assume that you are having sugar free drinks and not eating too much fruit in the way of apples, bananas, grapes etc?
i only drink tea coffee and at least 2litre of water a day nobody has told me not to eat to much fruit nobody has really told me nothing i know it sounds stupid but its true

janalud

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recently diagnosed type 2 and still learning what to eat what not to eat well bananas are a big NO for me it's a lot of carbohydrates and will raise sugar levels it made mine go up from 116-335 in 2 hours so watch the banana eating...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could somebody tag Daisy? I`m afraid I don`t know how to:sorry:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i only drink tea coffee and at least 2litre of water a day nobody has told me not to eat to much fruit nobody has really told me nothing i know it sounds stupid but its true

Hi @katanga , it's not stupid, sadly we read this time and time again on the forum pages. The standard NHS diet advice may work for some people but frankly, I think most of the members here regard the information as being a bit pants!

Diabetics on multiple daily injections take a long acting insulin once (sometimes twice) a day, then inject a rapid acting insulin for every meal. Those of us on mixed insulins cannot do this, but I vary my insulin to match my food intake. If your endo has fixed your doses and you don't have the confidence to change it yourself, then try counting carbohydrates and matching your food to your insulin.

How's your arithmetic? If you take 12units of a 30% mix in the morning that basically means that you have approximately 4units of rapid acting and 8units of long acting insulin in one shot. Most people start out on an insulin to carbohydrate ratio of 1:10 so if for simplicity we assume that you can eat 10g of carbohydrates for every unit of rapid acting insulin then you could in theory have up to 40g of carbohydrates for breakfast. Ideally, check your blood sugars and inject 20mins before eating and check your blood sugars again 2hrs after eating to see what effect the food is having and remember that your activity levels will change this too.

The first problem comes at lunchtime. Because rapid acting (RA) insulin peaks at around 2hrs and is pretty much spent after 4hrs you have nothing to cover your lunchtime meals. You could try eating something that's virtually carb free like an omelette and see what happens to your blood sugars. Any afternoon or teatime snacks will give rise to the same problem.

Your evening meal cannot be much different as 30% of 14 is only 4.6units of RA insulin. This gives you 46g of carbs to play with. So check your food labels and try and work out how many grams of carbs you're eating. Don't pay any attention to the part that reads "of which sugars" it's largely irrelevant to us. The book Carbs and Cals is available on Amazon and may help you to get a handle on what your eating.

We are all different and YOUR ideal insulin to carbohydrate ratio may not be 1:10 so be prepared for the fact that you might have to tweak this.

In my earlier post I told you that not all insulins are the same. The RA Novomix Aspart Insulin has a different profile to the RA humalog insulin - Lispro. So if you are not getting anywhere with Novomix then it may be a simple case of it not suiting you. Do ask your doc if you can try something else and don't accept any rubbish about all insulins being the same, they are not. They could change your insulin regime once you get a proper diagnosis of T1 or T2.

I hope this helps you. Let us know how you get on.

Edited: And the fruit thing! Fruit contains Fructose, a natural sugar. Generally, berries are better for us than other fruits. Bananas have a relatively high carb content, a medium sized banana has a approx 27g of carbs in it so you can probably see why it should be treated with caution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@katanga

Hello Julie and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information, mentioned above, which we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hi to be honest no i dont understand ive had the dietician visit me and she gave me a meal plan and no i only eat small portions as i cant eat big portions
Beware dietiicians as many (most?) haven't a clue. Whatever you were told, keep the daily carb total down and have proteins, fats and veg to keep you feeling full. Do aks the endo for Basal/Bolus if your sugars don't come down with the low-carb diet.

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi @katanga how are you doing now? I see you posted about having a fruity taste in your mouth.

Did you find the info in Daisy1's post helpful? Please feel free to ask us any questions and we will try to help.

Is there someone who can come with you to consultant appointments? It might pay to ask about those tests they are waiting on, and to ask again about your insulin regime, as it might need changing.