Homeopathy and Diabetes

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had homeopathic treatment for their diabetes?

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I've read the research - wasn't actually my question though! ;-)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I answered that I hadn't had any homeopathic treatment for diabetes, then gave explanation of how I came to that decision.

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. Not quite the information I was after but thank you for taking the time to respond. If anyone HAS tried homeopathy though, I'd still like to hear from them.

florrieboo48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to a herbalist three years ago, who made up a 'potion' for me. It had fenugreek, liquorice, coriander, camomile and other stuff as I recall. Took it for nearly three months with no real difference to my bs. At the time I had just been diagnosed t2 so would try anything. I do however go and see a reflexologist once a month, which I love, and makes me feel very good. I do find that more beneficial for me.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Herbs may indeed work. When they are found to work, they are called medicine. Think digoxin from the foxglove, aspirin from the willow (used by Hippocrates 400 years BC) and metformin from the French lilac.
Homeopathy tablets are diluted to infinitesimal amounts that at most dilutions used they are unlikely to contain a single molecule of the 'ingredient' Homeopaths believe that water has memory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't tried homeopathy, I've never believed in it, though my mother sees a doctor who also uses homeopathy.

My mother has a friend who is a herbalist and I went on a herb walk with her. I do believe that some herbs (and spices) can be beneficial to health. I grow basil, chives, mint, parsley and tarragon and use them in salads, frittata, omelettes and any recipe that requires them.

I would be open to seeing a herbalist or Ayurvedic practitioner but there aren't any in my area.

Soledad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ayurveda seemed to work for my overseas friend. Her health improved and cured her of insomnia. Wasn't cheap though.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Why would anyone think homeopathy would work?

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Why would anyone think homeopathy would work?
The placebo effect and the power of suggestion can be very... powerful. People are desperate; they want it to work so they think it works. Same for most non-medical "treatments".

Soledad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When one is desperate and there is nothing else to try, you'll give anything a go if there isn't much to lose.

Personally, I had a case of chronic hives for several months, itched like hell every night. Was looking for remedies apart from medication that could ruin my kidneys in the long run and found Oil Pulling (gargling with oil) on the internet. It sounded like total bullsh*t and really disgusting to swish oil in my mouth for 20 minutes, but since I had grape seed oil at home and there's nothing to lose from gargling oil, I did it.

Gargled once a day for 3 days and my chronic hives were pretty much gone. Didn't come back with a vengeance like when I took medication for it. Has been 3 years and I'm 99% hive-free.

Certain things that sound like bullsh*t may work for some people, but not everybody.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Maybe try an all meat diet. Homeopathy only works if magic exists. You do understand that there is zero science or even a smidgen of logic behind homeopathy, right?

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many years ago now I had a big red angry lump come up on my leg...still not sure what exactly caused it but wondered at the time if it was an injection site gone wrong or something. After trying various other things with absolutely no effect my doctor who at the time was dabbling in homeopathy suggested a homeopathic remedy in the form of tiny white pills that I had to dissolve under my tongue once or twice a day as I recall. Remarkably after a couple of weeks of taking them big angry lump had faded to virtually nothing.
I can understand why people are quick to dismiss this kind of medicine but in cases when you don't really have much to lose its still worth keeping an open mind...it certainly worked for me.

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Probably would have gone away on it's own, given that the pills had no actual active ingredients.