Creatine monohydrate

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Hi all. A weight training friend has recommended that I start using creatine supplements. I'm not sure how good or bad this would be with my type 1 diabetes and wondered if anyone else had any experience using them. Is it safe?

Thanks

Peter

humaject

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT ALOT
Re: Creative monohydrate

Creatine and L glutamine work well with insulin thats why it says to take them after your exercise because in a normal person there blood sugar levels will be lower after exercising.........ive been using both now on and off for a good 10 years with no problems.....

Reactions: leong

morethanmutts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jellied eels ;)
Thank alot for your reply , so it best to have after exercise ? It says on the bottle to have 5 tablets 1 to 2 times a day these tablets are1000 mg does that sound about right? Thanks Peter

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1 diabetic, I play rugby and have experimented with creatine in the past. My understanding of what creatine does is that it makes your muscle cells more absorbent, this speeds up glucose absorption. For me this meant that I was having more hypos, so decided to stay off it. Creatine really does work though and after taking it for a few weeks you will put weight on. I guess you will just have to experiment and see what it does to you as each person is different.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mind you, looking at morethanmutt's profile, he's more qualified than me to speak about this!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
You'll need to lay off it before you do a kidney function test - or at least declare it when you get your results, because excess creatine in your urine is one of the markers for kidney damage...

Reactions: 3 people

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You'll need to lay off it before you do a kidney function test - or at least declare it when you get your results, because excess creatine in your urine is one of the markers for kidney damage...

Crikey, some definate pro's& con's there. Im keen to include some creatine in my workout, along with the why isolate I use, its a bonus that it can aid a good work out, and tweak physique.

Do you have a recommended brand? - I use Bulkpowders for the whey isolate as its great value & the ingredients are superb quality. Would be keen to hear of any others.

Good post, cheers!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There is a ton of research on Creatine. It works for some people. It doesn't work for others. I saw very little difference with it. You do need insulin on board of some description to take the greatest benefit from it. I do, however, eat a ton of meat, so I may have already been getting enough.

malcw

Steer well clear of any supplements. 1 you don't know what is in it. 2 English institute of sport found contaminates in the majority of the products on the market
My athletes do not take them and they are in the main internationals. Eat well and take the advice of professionals and not mates.
There is research and research!!!

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, Im a Type 1 and Ive been taking Creatine-Monohydrate along with Whey Protein for years. Also I have the odd protein cookie and flapjack during cardio and weight work outs; i've survived so far.

Soledad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Creatine-Monohydrate has it's side effects too. Some men experience urinary incontinence. You have to drink lots of fluids when on creatine. I drink more than 1.5 litres of water everyday but had blood in my pee one day. Decided to stop my intake.

Creatine worked very well for my friends though. No problems.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use creatine as a pre-workout boost. It definitely allows me to lift harder, but that's about the only benefit I see.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a ton of research on Creatine. It works for some people. It doesn't work for others. I saw very little difference with it. You do need insulin on board of some description to take the greatest benefit from it. I do, however, eat a ton of meat, so I may have already been getting enough.

@tim2000s

You're right there is some research that I've found too that included Type 2 diabetics.
An MD I know recommended that I take some creatine as it helps with GLUT-4 and absorption of glucose the control group had their HbA1c lowered by what looks like a full point! See info below

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20881878

RESULTS: Twenty-five subjects were analyzed (CR: n=13; PL: n=12). HbA1c was significantly reduced in the creatine group when compared with the placebo group (CR: PRE=7.4 ± 0.7, POST=6.4 ± 0.4; PL: PRE=7.5 ± 0.6, POST=7.6 ± 0.7; P=0.004; difference=-1.1%, 95% confidence interval=-1.9% to -0.4%).
I have to do some more research on how it helps..

JM

Reactions: 2 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd give everyone an update. I did try to use some creatine recently but I've broken out with hives! I was on a minimal amount 3-5grams/day but more like 4 most days for about 10 days and then I got hives. Needless to say I've quit using creatine. I do a great deal of cycling and the creatine helped with the muscle soreness but with its side effects (at least) for me I' ve quit using it..

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if it's because you werent drinking enough water and overheated.

I found out that I have to be careful mixing aerobic and anaerobic exercise because I can break out in hives as well. It's something not specific to creatine intake.

Just a thought.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if it's because you werent drinking enough water and overheated.

I found out that I have to be careful mixing aerobic and anaerobic exercise because I can break out in hives as well. It's something not specific to creatine intake.

Just a thought.

@TorqPenderloin

I probably wasn't drinking enough water. I've since learned that I needed to drink about a gallon / day to cope with the creatine. Is that your knowledge too? I was doing about 4 grams / day only for about 10 days..

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to drink at least a gallon of water a day without even thinking about it, but I sweat a ton (I lost 4 lbs running on the treadmill this morning for an hour).

As far as the amount you're taking, there's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to creating intake. Some people say that it builds up in your system faster if you take it in larger doses (more then 1g), but realistically almost all of that is going to go right through you.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Creatine is one of the most researched supplement out there. It's classified as a type A which means it repeatedly showed an improvement and thus works. Furthermore no negative effects have been found in healthy individuals, so it's pretty safe.

There's tons of ways out there to take it but basically you need to build it up. Most cycles last 12 weeks with 1 week off, it's a substance your body makes so it's important to have an off week. Loading phases have NOT been found to be beneficial and are basically a marketing scam to increase your use. As to how much to take ... 5g./day for 12 weeks. I always take it in the morning, can't be bothered with taking it after a workout. You do need to drink plenty of fluids but you should always do that. Also worth mentioning that no other form of creatine has been found to give better results, lately you have creatine + insert something here that usually cost more but doesn't work better than simple monohydrate. You don't get an energy boost from it so it's not a pre-workout supplement and it does little to nothing to help endurance performance.

What does it do? It increases your ATP stores, when you workout ATP (energy) is converted to ADP. ATP (T = tri or three) loses a phosphate (the P) and becomes ADP (D = di or two). Creatine "gives" it's phosphate to the ADP and ADP + 1 phosphate = ATP again. Long story short ATP useful, ADP useless. In practice this should allow you to squeeze out an extra rep or two. Increasing the total volume or maybe a slightly higher intensity of the workout will be beneficial to overall gains.

Another fairly recent study showed the interaction between different supplements and creatine works well with beta alanine (also a type A supplement).

As to if you should use it? As mentioned it does work but don't expect a sudden vast increase in strength or muscle size. I use it because i've been working out for so long it takes a long time to increase my lifts and every bit helps. But macro and micro nutrients take priority to supplements when it comes to the importance of a proper sports diet. It's an extra and it depends on how serious you are about results. If you want to fully optimize everything and your macro nutrients, micro nutrients, rest is already optimized you could take it for a bit of extra gains.

Reactions: leong

Bigkt1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, Im a Type 1 and Ive been taking Creatine-Monohydrate along with Whey Protein for years. Also I have the odd protein cookie and flapjack during cardio and weight work outs; i've survived so far.
Hi just wondering if you could help me out iv been diagnosed a type1 just under a year now and lost 2 stone weeks b4 it if put my 2 stone back on I'm looking to tone up and was gonna start taking creatine and protein again but was wondering what brand to take As I used to take maximuscle cyclone but think I can't take it now I'm also confused on what to eat b4 a work out and what to eat after as I would like to turn the fat into muscle and don't wanna keep eattung excess carbs any info would be great