Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, Rude people, Snakes
Hi All
I am in the process of deciding if a pump is right for me. My doctors have suggested that it would give me better control and upon researching I do see that this may be true. However, I'm visually Impaired which only a little useful vision remaining. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how accessible the pump systems are. What's the contracts on the screens like? I know some come with a remote, how accessible are these? how big is the writing? Also how fiddly is inserting the infusion set and connecting the tubes? I am considering this but if I cannot manage my pump independently then its not going to be for me. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@Flowerpot is the lady to talk to I believe, Sorry If I have the wrong person.

Most pumps have cannulas that have an inserter attached so hopefully that will solve the insertion problem.
As to being able to see the screen, they are all different so ask to see them all. I wonder if the Omnipod would be easier for you? Would one of those small magnifiers help with screen seeing? I used one after cataract surgery as very poor vision in one eye from a fixed squint as a child.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Flowerpot is the lady to talk to I believe, Sorry If I have the wrong person.

Most pumps have cannulas that have an inserter attached so hopefully that will solve the insertion problem.
As to being able to see the screen, they are all different so ask to see them all. I wonder if the Omnipod would be easier for you? Would one of those small magnifiers help with screen seeing? I used one after cataract surgery as very poor vision in one eye from a fixed squint as a child.

thanks, I do have a hand-held magnifier so this would be an option. I have looked at quite a few of them online and the omnipod did look quite good. There is also one which i think is called the DRN or something that like which has a smart phone app attached to it which also seemed useful. Just been reading on how you don't always get a choice though.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
thanks, I do have a hand-held magnifier so this would be an option. I have looked at quite a few of them online and the omnipod did look quite good. There is also one which i think is called the DRN or something that like which has a smart phone app attached to it which also seemed useful. Just been reading on how you don't always get a choice though.
Hi Lexi
The pumps available in the UK are the Medtronic, animas, omnipod Roche and the DanaR. DanaR is a lovely pump but screen is not suitable for someone with poor vision.

You will have a choice due to your sight no point in paying out almost three grand for a pump you can not use.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Lexi
The pumps available in the UK are the Medtronic, animas, omnipod Roche and the DanaR. DanaR is a lovely pump but screen is not suitable for someone with poor vision.

You will have a choice due to your sight no point in paying out almost three grand for a pump you can not use.

Hi CarbsRok thanks for the info, I did like the DanaR (if is the one I think it is, ) I believe that that one came with the app for the smart phone, Good to know I'll get a choice as was a bit worried about that. Shame about the screen on the DanaR though. will have a look at the others available.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hopefully Flowerpot will pop in today or tomorrow and give you the heads up I know she has the Medtronic pump, have tagged her so she will be alerted. :)

iHs

Hi

I've not seen the Omnipod so dont know whether it would be any good for you or not.

I used the Accuchek Combo with the Expert type bg meter and found that very good to see visually as it had large text and although the Spirit /Combo pump itself only had a narrow window to see the menu options , it didn't have an lcd screen and was
dark grey text on a light grey background. The meter had text that was easy to see and would come up bigger when clicked on and all the pumps control could be accessed from the meter and was easy to use as the deliver button could be pressed and the bolus would be delivered and the meter could be put in handbag or pocket while the delivery took place so no need to wait.
AccuChek do a good range of well designed infusion sets and the Accuchek Flexlink and Flexlink Plus are excellent to use wherever a 90 degree angle teflon catheter needs to be inserted. The Flexlink Plus is excellent for children to use as the introducer needle is protected by a plastic housing when the housing is pulled off the set so no danger of being pricked by the introducer. The Rapid D steel needle infusion set is also very good and has a turn and swivel connection joining the set tube to the pump tube so is easy to insert in the backside as well as tummy and legs. The Accuchek Insight is good for visual impairment from what a rep showed me as the screen can be changed from lcd to black text on white background and the text enlarged too. The pump takes pre loaded Novorapid cartridges so no fiddling drawing up insulin from a vial. The downside to the Insight is that Accuchek haven't as yet incorporated Cgm to work with the pump but they will be planning to launch cgm some time within the next 2yrs I hope.

I now use the Vibe but could not recommend it for people who are long sighted and the lcd screen display is terrible in the sun. I now try to access the pumps menu screen from inside a dark back pocket on my shoulder bag which is just about ok but I tend to use the Expert meter with bolus wizard and use that a lot of the time when out in the sun. The Animas infusion sets are probably not the best for visual impairment but the only way of knowing how easy or hard it may be inserting sets and using a pumps menu screen and inserting and filling cartridges, is to request to see all the pumps on offer and bring some infusion sets home to have a go at inserting them.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Omnipod would be a good option for someone visually impaired as it has a automatic cannula insertion, you just apply the pod to the skin and press Start and away it goes, the downside might be filling the insulin reservoir on the pod but if you already have a magnifier then this shouldn't be a problem.

Ask your DSN/Consultant which pump they think would be most appropriate, you may only have the choice of three anyway depending on their funding policy.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

I've not seen the Omnipod so dont know whether it would be any good for you or not.

I used the Accuchek Combo with the Expert type bg meter and found that very good to see visually as it had large text and although the Spirit /Combo pump itself only had a narrow window to see the menu options , it didn't have an lcd screen and was
dark grey text on a light grey background. The meter had text that was easy to see and would come up bigger when clicked on and all the pumps control could be accessed from the meter and was easy to use as the deliver button could be pressed and the bolus would be delivered and the meter could be put in handbag or pocket while the delivery took place so no need to wait.
AccuChek do a good range of well designed infusion sets and the Accuchek Flexlink and Flexlink Plus are excellent to use wherever a 90 degree angle teflon catheter needs to be inserted. The Flexlink Plus is excellent for children to use as the introducer needle is protected by a plastic housing when the housing is pulled off the set so no danger of being pricked by the introducer. The Rapid D steel needle infusion set is also very good and has a turn and swivel connection joining the set tube to the pump tube so is easy to insert in the backside as well as tummy and legs. The Accuchek Insight is good for visual impairment from what a rep showed me as the screen can be changed from lcd to black text on white background and the text enlarged too. The pump takes pre loaded Novorapid cartridges so no fiddling drawing up insulin from a vial. The downside to the Insight is that Accuchek haven't as yet incorporated Cgm to work with the pump but they will be planning to launch cgm some time within the next 2yrs I hope.

I now use the Vibe but could not recommend it for people who are long sighted and the lcd screen display is terrible in the sun. I now try to access the pumps menu screen from inside a dark back pocket on my shoulder bag which is just about ok but I tend to use the Expert meter with bolus wizard and use that a lot of the time when out in the sun. The Animas infusion sets are probably not the best for visual impairment but the only way of knowing how easy or hard it may be inserting sets and using a pumps menu screen and inserting and filling cartridges, is to request to see all the pumps on offer and bring some infusion sets home to have a go at inserting them.

Hi iHS - thanks for some detailed info there. I think you are right in the fact that i just need to try and see which one works best for me. haven't looked at the Accu-check pumps yet so will do that. Thanks

iHs

Hi @Lexi_1991

If you live north west London, I am sure you will be welcome to attend a small pumpers meet up and then you'll be able to see a variety of different pumps that diabetics use. Usually INPUT also hold an informal meeting in central London for pumpers and anyone interested in having one so that is something to think about.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The Accuchek Insight has a coloured screen and the text can be enlarged. The cartridges come prefilled so you have no worries about having to fill cartridges.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Lexi_1991

If you live north west London, I am sure you will be welcome to attend a small pumpers meet up and then you'll be able to see a variety of different pumps that diabetics use. Usually INPUT also hold an informal meeting in central London for pumpers and anyone interested in having one so that is something to think about.

If you live north west London, I am sure you will be welcome to attend a small pumpers meet up and then you'll be able to see a variety of different pumps that diabetics use. Usually INPUT also hold an informal meeting in central London for pumpers and anyone interested in having one so that is something to think about.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info, I live in Kent so that wouldn't work, but perhaps the central London one might work. Thanks again

iHs

Nothing to do with a pump but there is a bg meter that will actually speak the results

Advocate BMB EA001S speaking bg
Advocate BMB EA001A non speaking bg

I think they are listed on the Home Page of the forum

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say the Animas Vibe is not great for someone with limited vision. I and some other users on here struggle to read the screen in sunlight. There is a function where you can do a bolus based on beeps, but for everything else you need to be able to see the screen for feedback. You also need to read the alarm and warning information, though the presence an alarm or warning is signalled by beeps.

Having said that I don't know if it's better or worse than other pumps, only having used the Vibe.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing to do with a pump but there is a bg meter that will actually speak the results

Advocate BMB EA001S speaking bg
Advocate BMB EA001A non speaking bg

I think they are listed on the Home Page of the forum

Thank you, I did know that there were ones out there that spoke but didn't know the brand. Will check it out. Thank you

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would say the Animas Vibe is not great for someone with limited vision. I and some other users on here struggle to read the screen in sunlight. There is a function where you can do a bolus based on beeps, but for everything else you need to be able to see the screen for feedback. You also need to read the alarm and warning information, though the presence an alarm or warning is signalled by beeps.

Having said that I don't know if it's better or worse than other pumps, only having used the Vibe.

I've head other says that it is difficult to see in Sunlight. so perhaps this one isn't for me. I think I quite like the medtronic pumps i've seen but I don't think they come with a remote which i liked the idea of.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lexi

I've been using a Medtronic pump for 5 years, I changed to the 640g earlier this year. I've only got central vision in my right eye and can't tell colours apart from dark and white, the vision I have flickers a lot with pools of light that come and go. I've found the 640g manageable, the main screen is a black background with 5 levels of brightness with white text. I struggle to see the screen in sunlight as the highlight colour for selecting menu choices is a yellow (I think) and I just can't distinguish it very well however I can make out the text so can read if I have highlighted the wrong choice. Like some of the others have said, I put my pump into my bag to increase the contrast if out in sunlight.

I use a magnifying lamp to fill the insulin reservoir and it does take me time to ensure I don't have any bubbles in the reservoir, clear insulin, clear plastic reservoir and clear tubing is a big challenge but I have got used to doing it and with time it isn't such a struggle. Medtronic have a choice of cannulas and I think the Mio is in a coloured plastic which may help. The inserter is a blue device for my choice of cannula and I have managed that pretty well but do tend to keep to the side of my body with some sight so I can watch out for any problems.

The Bayer Contour 2.4 usb glucose meter transmits results straight to the 640g so there is no need to input glucose results and you can do a basic bolus from the meter but cant use any of the pump wizard calculations for inputting carbs or taking account of insulin dose corrections if you bolus via the meter.

I manage my pump independently most of the time but sometimes when out I have to ask family/friends to tell me what alarm the pump has sent but that is a minor niggle for the massively improved control I have had since using a pump. I carry a magnifying sheet in my bag so that I can read the screen if I do get stuck.

Definitely ask to have a go with as many makes of pump as possible and also the cannulas, insertion devices and whether the pump can use prefilled cartridges or needs to have a reservoir filled every 3 or so days. I would love to be able to increase text size on the screen but as yet that isn't an option but after the changes I've seen since using a pump for 16 years I'm sure it won't be long.

Good luck, it will take some getting used to but I've found the benefits massively outweigh the challenges :)

Reactions: 4 people

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Lexi

I've been using a Medtronic pump for 5 years, I changed to the 640g earlier this year. I've only got central vision in my right eye and can't tell colours apart from dark and white, the vision I have flickers a lot with pools of light that come and go. I've found the 640g manageable, the main screen is a black background with 5 levels of brightness with white text. I struggle to see the screen in sunlight as the highlight colour for selecting menu choices is a yellow (I think) and I just can't distinguish it very well however I can make out the text so can read if I have highlighted the wrong choice. Like some of the others have said, I put my pump into my bag to increase the contrast if out in sunlight.

I use a magnifying lamp to fill the insulin reservoir and it does take me time to ensure I don't have any bubbles in the reservoir, clear insulin, clear plastic reservoir and clear tubing is a big challenge but I have got used to doing it and with time it isn't such a struggle. Medtronic have a choice of cannulas and I think the Mio is in a coloured plastic which may help. The inserter is a blue device for my choice of cannula and I have managed that pretty well but do tend to keep to the side of my body with some sight so I can watch out for any problems.

The Bayer Contour 2.4 usb glucose meter transmits results straight to the 640g so there is no need to input glucose results and you can do a basic bolus from the meter but cant use any of the pump wizard calculations for inputting carbs or taking account of insulin dose corrections if you bolus via the meter.

I manage my pump independently most of the time but sometimes when out I have to ask family/friends to tell me what alarm the pump has sent but that is a minor niggle for the massively improved control I have had since using a pump. I carry a magnifying sheet in my bag so that I can read the screen if I do get stuck.

Definitely ask to have a go with as many makes of pump as possible and also the cannulas, insertion devices and whether the pump can use prefilled cartridges or needs to have a reservoir filled every 3 or so days. I would love to be able to increase text size on the screen but as yet that isn't an option but after the changes I've seen since using a pump for 16 years I'm sure it won't be long.

Good luck, it will take some getting used to but I've found the benefits massively outweigh the challenges :)

Hi Flowerpot

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and information with me. Its so helpful. I almost hate that there are so many different ones to choose from, but I think that the benefits will be worth all this research and experimentation. I intend to ask to see and use as many machines as possible. I just hope the consultant I have is nice and is understanding of my needs. My previous one wasn't and so I stop attending appointments. I know it will take time to get used to things and it may even be that I can fill the insulin reservoir myself with the right magnification.

Thank you for your help
Lexi