greek yogurt

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen loads of advice to use greek yogurt for different recipies. Could somebody name the exact brand they use as I'm a hopeless shopper and get confused reading labels. My nearby markets are Asda, Tesco and Morrisons and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen loads of advice to use greek yogurt for different recipies. Could somebody name the exact brand they use as I'm a hopeless shopper and get confused reading labels. My nearby markets are Asda, Tesco and Morrisons and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I must admit, although I do my main shop elsewhere, I do a detour to Lidl for their Greek Yoghurt. For me, it's head and shoulders above the rest in terms of taste and quality and it's a fraction of the costs of Asda or Tesco.

I'm fortunate I have a large larder, with additional fridge and freezer space, so buying for a month or so at a time makes sense.

Do you have a Lidl, within a short detour, perhaps?

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with @AndBreathe, for quality and value for money the brand Milbona Natural Greek Yogurt from Lidl is the best.

However Tesco's own brand is OK and reasonably priced.

Reactions: 3 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi @numan43. I agree with AndBreathe on this. Lidl's full fat Greek yoghurt is very pleasant & cheaper than branded or the big supermarket own brand. I always add Vanilla, either via fresh vanilla pods or essence, to plain yoghurt. It perks it up as I get bored of the same old flavours. Each to their own I guess.

If you haven't got a local Lidl, supermarket brand is fine & still much cheaper than the branded yoghurts such as Fage, Onken, Dannon, Total or Yeo Valley. The Tesco Greek yoghurt is nice too. The pic below will help you recognise it by the packaging when you shop. £1.10 for 500mls

image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit, although I do my main shop elsewhere, I do a detour to Lidl for their Greek Yoghurt. For me, it's head and shoulders above the rest in terms of taste and quality and it's a fraction of the costs of Asda or Tesco.

I'm fortunate I have a large larder, with additional fridge and freezer space, so buying for a month or so at a time makes sense.

Do you have a Lidl, within a short detour, perhaps?
yes I do fortunately. can you be more exact about the name of it, I really need led by the hand with shopping

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @numan43. I agree with AndBreathe on this. Lidl's full fat Greek yoghurt is very pleasant & cheaper than branded or the big supermarket own brand. I always add Vanilla, either via fresh vanilla pods or essence, to plain yoghurt. It perks it up as I get bored of the same old flavours. Each to their own I guess.

If you haven't got a local Lidl, supermarket brand is fine & still much cheaper than the branded yoghurts such as Fage, Onken, Dannon, Total or Yeo Valley. The Tesco Greek yoghurt is nice too. The pic below will help you recognise it by the packaging when you shop. £1.10 for 500mls

View attachment 15357
thank you so much alisonjane

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes I do fortunately. can you be more exact about the name of it, I really need led by the hand with shopping

As @noblehead mentioned, it's called Milbona Natural Greek Yogurt. They have it in full fat and also a reduced fat option - hardly any carb difference between the two. The full fat option obviously has the lower carbs and is much richer. It's sold in 1ltr containers (bucket shaped) at something like £1.40 for 1ltr. It's just gone up!

When I asked Dr Google for an image, he helpfully came up with a whole thread, including images, from this site! Good old Dr Google! :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/yoghurt-lidls-milbona-turkish-or-greek-style.75276/

Reactions: 4 people

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got some Lidl,s high protein rolls last week now the Yogurt will be on my list, anything else there worth buying for a LCHF meal?

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Milbona Yoghurt is 3.8g of Carb per 100ml which is lower than any other I've seen. The Fage total is 4g, and most of the own brand versions are over 5g, although in the grand scheme of things the difference is minuscule.

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As @noblehead mentioned, it's called Milbona Natural Greek Yogurt. They have it in full fat and also a reduced fat option - hardly any carb difference between the two. The full fat option obviously has the lower carbs and is much richer. It's sold in 1ltr containers (bucket shaped) at something like £1.40 for 1ltr. It's just gone up!

When I asked Dr Google for an image, he helpfully came up with a whole thread, including images, from this site! Good old Dr Google! :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/yoghurt-lidls-milbona-turkish-or-greek-style.75276/
how long does this stuff last in the fridge as a litre seems a lot to get through?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got some Lidl,s high protein rolls last week now the Yogurt will be on my list, anything else there worth buying for a LCHF meal?
i quite like the rolls although the colour puts me off a bit

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how long does this stuff last in the fridge as a litre seems a lot to get through?

I am not sure, but I tend to eat yogurt past its use-by date, trusting that it keeps well in the fridge, unless it catches mold (which hardly happens, because I love yogurt too much to keep it for long).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Both Aldi and Lidl do great 70% cocoa solid choc
- they definitely compete with (and sometimes beat) the big brands like green and blacks, Lindt, etc. in terms of quality and flavour. The Aldi brand is called Moser Roth.

They also do excellent cheeses at prices that beat the big supermarkets.

Look for the sausages too. You want the ones that are more than 90% meat, if you can find them.

And bags of nuts.

:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It says on the tub that you should consume within 2 days of opening, but I only use a heaped spoonful in my morning porridge so the 1kg tub lasts me around a fortnight, it always tastes and smells fine up until then, but if your concerned about that then the 500mls pots would be a better option.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Hi @numan43. You say you get confused reading labels. Me too...my eyesight is appalling with the small writing on food packaging. I get embarrassed getting a magnifying glass out in the middle of Tesco. :shy: Would it help if people put pics up or links to the pics of the items they're recommending? Just want to help hun. AJ. X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I get through a bucket in a week to 10 days, I'd guess, but like most yoghurt, provided you keen an eye to ensure you buy the longest date available when you buy, it's absolutely fine.

At around £1.40 for the kilo/litre, that's about the same as the competitors charge for 500ml, so even if you ended up disposing of a small amount, your would probably still be up on the deal.

As well as for breakfast, you can stir some into sauces to enrich them. These bad boys are lovely and creamy.