Over Night Liver Dump

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I,m getting high BS reading when I get up in the morning. My last reading at night is 11.0 when I get up its 16. What can I do to get this lower?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A liver dump may happen if you have not eaten for 5 or 6 hours. I suppose you could try eating something before you go to bed or if you get up in the night to find out if it helps.

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My last snake is just before I go to sleep. A lump of cheese and small piece of fruit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only other suggestion is to save some of it until you get up for a pee. If you sleep for a long continuous period then a liver dump is almost inevitable and may mean a low carb breakfast and a walk.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could also try lowering your bedtime reading. 11 at that time is very high. The lower you start, the lower you will finish. You may still get a liver dump (as I do) but it will be at a much more acceptable level.

Reactions: 4 people

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I know it is high. I have only been on low carb for 3 days now. My BS was up to 24. So I have cut it in half already. I,m not sure what is causing the 11 reading. Last 3 days was Eggplant, Linseed and fried ham. I do drink Robinsons no added sugar dilute, about 3 large glasses, that might be the cause

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I must agree with the other posters. A reading of 11 before bed is odd. My technique is to achieve a low reading after breakfast and a walk (hopefully a low reading) and to plan my day from there. If I end up with a reading of 11 before bed then I have made a serious mistake somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not on any meds either, Olaf. My medication is my food. It will take time to get it right, but rather than worry about liver dumps at your stage, I would worry more about your bedtime level. You have done well to get it down from where you started, so keep going, and maybe tweak your diet a little bit. Perhaps a little more exercise?

Reactions: 6 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
You have to be very careful with soft drinks even some flavoured water.

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont drink them. I started today with squeezed lemon and water. Need some different flavors though, might get sick of this. Is milk bad?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, cows milk is full of lactose, which is a sugar. We need to be very careful with it. You can buy lactose free milk. What about a nice mug of tea (with a dash of milk) or decaf coffee with double cream? Water is excellent though, especially ice cold straight from the fridge.

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, did not know about the milk issue. Yeah a nice brew. Have so much new to learn about this dam disease

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is always wise to read the nutrition labels on all food packaging.. Anything that ends in "ose" is sugar. Glucose, fructose, lactose, anything else ose. It's a big learning curve.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Lactose is composed of glucose and galactose bonded together , Lactose can't be absorbed by the body unless it is broken down into glucose galactose.

Lactose is an issue for some but not all, a substantial proportion lack an enzyme in the digestive sytstem can't break down into the simpler sugars.
In people from nothern European genetic line 30% of the population can't break it down to release the glucose, for those from African or other areas where there is little dairy in the diet up to 70% don't break down lactose.