Omnipod Users

Tukella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going away to Mexico in September and can't decide whether or not to bring my pump?!

Do I continue to pump or switch to injections for the two weeks?

Any suggestions would be greatly received

Thanks tukella xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @Tukella

The choice is yours, if you foresee a problem using your pump in Mexico then change back to MDI.

Although I've not been abroad with my pump yet I can't see a reason why you couldn't keep pumping whilst over there and obviously you'll be taking your pens as a back-up, is it the heat that worries which may deteriorate your insulin?

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I travelled around South America for 2 months in April/May using the Omnipod and Libre, this made everything so much easier that it would have been with MDI. Took backup pens but not needed, it all worked fine.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do people request free back up pump for Omnipod when on holiday ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do people request free back up pump for Omnipod when on holiday ?

Not been abroad yet using the Omnipod Pump, but I was told that you can request a back-up PDM and provided you don't use it you can return with no charge, you can also ask if your hospital clinic have a spare which they may loan out for holidays.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Noblehead, yes on Internet form can be sent to request, apparently if unopened unless needed (
due to fault)there is no charge and return cost also included. Just wondering if people do this or stop pump revert back to Injections. I have two breaks abroad coming up in next few weeks. Has anyone done this yet.?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Heathero, personally I would want the back-up PDM as I wouldn't fancy reverting back to MDI, however some people do take a pump break for holidays so its personal preference really.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Change of site? Moved from well used abdomen to lower back. Increased absorption could this be why Hypo 1/2day ?
. Wondering if someone could help me understand what went wrong yesterday prior to lunch went hypo had sweets ate lunch as that time and took bolus. However went for stroll in town late pm, and low again on return took carbs as well as dinner that eve -seemed ratio suddenly too high, but fine before for a day. Had to eat 40 grams of carb to reduce hypo at night. Ok this am.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you done some basal checks @Heathero?

Certainly if you've had absorption issues in the abdomen and move to a area where there's no such issues then this will result in a better absorption rate and possibly hypo's, it's much the same whether your on injections or a pump.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I haven't done this yet just 1-2 hourly checks all week. Basel increased from 0.9 to 1.10 from 3-6 am due to am highs by DSN unwilling to contact as bank holiday now. However can see tomorrow. Thanks for info.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Problem over, have re sited pod and reduced Basel at tea time.