33 weeks pregnant , sugar level high all the time

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I m 33 weeks pregnant , sugar levels are very high specially after meals , even when not eating its around 8 , doc increased basal insulin as well ... Anyone experienced the same ? Advice plz ! Latest a1c is 5.0 .Doc not giving me any induction date , he said around 38-39 weeks will induce...getting really nervous as time is coming close ...

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi I m 33 weeks pregnant , sugar levels are very high specially after meals , even when not eating its around 8 , doc increased basal insulin as well ... Anyone experienced the same ? Advice plz ! Latest a1c is 5.0 .Doc not giving me any induction date , he said around 38-39 weeks will induce...getting really nervous as time is coming close ...
I don't use insulin but those who do, and can therefore make suggestions, will probably want to know about the kind of insulin regime you are on, ie which insulins, when, how much etc. Do you carb count or use a set dose at mealtimes? From what I have read on the forum, basal insulin is intended to deal with fasting BG and bolus insulin should address the after-meal BGs. The doc who increased basal insulin - is that a GP or endocrinologist? Is there a DSN or someone like that who you can call for advice?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Pooja80

Insulin resistance increases a lot in late pregnancy. I have Type 1 diabetes and I had to increase my insulin a large amount eg my basal insulin more than doubled.

Have you spoken to your doctor about your blood sugars since your basal was changed? It could be your doctor might increase it a little more. It's always best to do gradual increases - increase a tiny bit, see how that goes, and increase a little more if necessary.

Are you also taking bolus insulin before meals? If so, and you're going high after meals you may need to increase that insulin too (but, again, speak to your doctor about doing this). Do you count carbs?

Your HbA1C is good :)

I got my induction date at around 35/36 weeks. I don't think they book it too far ahead. At least you have an idea when it might happen :) Are you having growth scans?

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@ CatladyNZ,
I m taking lev emir, n novo rapid , and i m seeing an endocrinologist as well , I will going to speak to him today , I m also counting carb n insulin ratio...

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi azure ,
I m taking bolus insulin before 35 min every meal . N counting carb as well . I will speak to my endo team today as they were closed on weekend .
I have growth scan started at 28th weeks , at 32 weeks my baby gal was 65 percentile. I have two vessel umbilical cord so doc will monitor every week ... From this week I have regular biophysical profile once a week ..
Did u have non stress test in later pregnancy ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
65 percentile sounds good :)

My blood sugar spiked (went high) after meals so I had to increase my bolus insulin. I'm Type 1 so it could be different for you, but to give you an idea of how much my insulin to carb ratio increased, for my evening meal it went up from 1 unit to 10g of carbs to 1unit to 4g of carbs. So whereas I used to have 4 units for a 40g carb meal, at the end of pregnancy I was having 10 units for that same meal.

No, I didn't have a non stress test, but my baby's heart was looked at closely in the 20 week scan. Also, the pressure in the umbilical blood vessels was measured later in pregnancy. I had 3 blood vessels.

I'm in the UK.

Reactions: 2 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 27 weeks and my basal rates have been slowly but steadily increasing the last 2-3 weeks. I also had to change my meal ratios.

I've used 1:5 for 15 years, but now I have to do 1:3 at breakfast (which seems like an insane amount of insulin to me), and I have to do my breakfast bolus 45 minutes before I eat. My lunch is still 1:5, but my evening is starting to shift. I'll start with 1:4 and see how that goes.

Sounds like you may need to play around with the ratio's more like azure said if you're spiking after meals. That's where my biggest issue has been.

Leigh Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm 26.5 weeks and over the past few weeks especially, my insulin requirements have increased a lot. I'm on 50% more insulin than normal now, which is a mixture of background and bolus insulin, as my carb ratios have also changed. I'm on a pump so easy enough to change when I start seeing my levels rising. Just keep a close eye on your levels and adjust as much as you need to as you don't want to be running high for too long. Hope you get it sorted!