What can be done?

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
Sadly, Diabetes is at a record high now, here is some advice.

"
Diabetes in the UK is at an all-time high, according to analysis of NHS data released by Diabetes UK to mark Diabetes week. There are now 3.9 million people with diabetes in the UK and growing numbers are diagnosed each year.

It could be argued that these numbers reflect the fact that better treatment means people are living longer with diabetes rather than dying from it prematurely. And some of the increased incidence may be due to better awareness and diagnosis by patients and doctors. GPs are incentivised to identify previously undiagnosed cases of diabetes and penalised if their rates of diagnosis are deemed too low
"

More infor:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/16/diabetes-soaring-uk-fatter-than-ever

Any advice here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if GPs are paid for diagnosing higher numbers of diabetics , I'm hardly surprised that our numbers are increasing. :D

If the NHS gave correct dietary advice to diabetic patients, telling them to reduce the amount of carbohydrates instead of telling them to eat more of what's harming them, gave them meters to test their glucose levels, and spent a little time teaching them how to use these correctly, I suspect there might be rather less of a problem. It's not exactly rocket science...

Robbity

Reactions: 16 people
G

graj0

I have to go into hospital tomorrow for a laparotomy, I've had appendicitis caused by something on the appendix rather than the appendix itself. They may or may not remove both the something and the appendix.
More importantly, as I was pleasantly surprised by the pre op nurse congratulating me on reducing my carbs, no longer having to take an additional 3 drugs, having good BG control and losing weight, it will be interesting to see what they will feed me. I'm assuming that if I had a nut allergy, they'd avoid that, so I'm hoping that being diabetic and having told them I low carb, they might ask what I can have. Lets see what I get, the last time I stayed in an NHS hospital they saw me eating dinner with no potato and without asking went off and came back with a pudding bowl of mashed potato. Sweet of them, but . . . . . . Actually it looked so disgusting I was thinking it could be an exhibit at the Turner Gallery, title to be decided.

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well if GPs are paid for diagnosing higher numbers of diabetics , I'm hardly surprised that our numbers are increasing. :D

If the NHS gave correct dietary advice to diabetic patients, telling them to reduce the amount of carbohydrates instead of telling them to eat more of what's harming them, gave them meters to test their glucose levels, and spent a little time teaching them how to use these correctly, I suspect there might be rather less of a problem. It's not exactly rocket science...

Robbity
Agreed. Stupidity in the NHS knows no bounds..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of referring patients to a Desmond-type course, it would help more if they were referred to this forum, and cheaper.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last time I was in hospital (first time in my adult life) with food poisoning, my mother and husband brought me food into hospital. Two of the junior doctors told me that they had got food poisoning from the canteen so I think it was a good idea.

If people with epilepsy can be put on ketogenic diets under NHS care, why can't people with diabetes be told that they can low carb ? I think cutting out all processed food, grains and root veg is the best lifestyle change that anyone with diabetes can make, regardless of diabetes classification.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have to go into hospital tomorrow for a laparotomy, I've had appendicitis caused by something on the appendix rather than the appendix itself. They may or may not remove both the something and the appendix.
More importantly, as I was pleasantly surprised by the pre op nurse congratulating me on reducing my carbs, no longer having to take an additional 3 drugs, having good BG control and losing weight, it will be interesting to see what they will feed me. I'm assuming that if I had a nut allergy, they'd avoid that, so I'm hoping that being diabetic and having told them I low carb, they might ask what I can have. Lets see what I get, the last time I stayed in an NHS hospital they saw me eating dinner with no potato and without asking went off and came back with a pudding bowl of mashed potato. Sweet of them, but . . . . . . Actually it looked so disgusting I was thinking it could be an exhibit at the Turner Gallery, title to be decided.
Good luck for your surgery. Here are some guidelines for how well they are meant to look after you :)
http://www.diabetologists-abcd.org.uk/JBDS/JBDS_IP_Surgery_Adults_Full.pdf

Reactions: 2 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Robbity

And, yet, it seems beyond them. I have to say, I quickly came to have no confidence at all in the dietary advice, followed by a rapidly diminishing faith in the doctors.The NICE guidelines are designed to provide the cheapest treatment, not the treatment.

And how they Hell can sulfonylureas possibly be the second line treatment when they are dangerous?

Unless, of course, it's because they are cheap. Surely not.