Daily Mirror does it again!!!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stunned to see yet another article in the press....15 Good reason why you SHOULD eat carbs...........one of them being that it can help PREVENT Type 2 diabetes!!! When, oh when will they get it right? Eat brown bread, rice, don't add fat blahhhhh.....still blaming sugar and advocating eating carbs....claiming it helps prevent type 2. I despair of them ever putting the right information out for the public. It is no wonder that more and more are being diagnosed when all the information points them in totally the wrong direction :(........rant over

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/15-reasons-you-really-should-6351826

Reactions: 16 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
O M G where do they get these so called experts ..when are they actually going to listen to the people that know ..us diabetics ..it just makes my blood boil unbelievable

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm not type 2 but...............................

Reactions: 3 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's fair enough for preventing diabetes. Controlling it is a different thing and a different argument. Even then some of us control it just great with carbs in our life.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, can't see any major faults in the article.
Reporting the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition findings, and I eat a reasonable amount of what they suggest and my meter is happy.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O M G where do they get these so called experts ..when are they actually going to listen to the people that know ..us diabetics ..it just makes my blood boil unbelievable

We are in the minority on this forum as most diabetics will never have heard of LCHF and even if they do many will be loath to do something not approved by their medical teams. I know a lady who spent over 40 years doing medical research in one of the big London hospitals and was one of the top of her field she said anything new that comes along be it a drug or anything else new can take years of research and trials before it is approved as they have to be able to prove it is beneficial and what the long term effects will be. Low carbing has not been done by enough people for long enough yet to know the long term effects or if it will prevent complications until they know I doubt anything will change

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Committee bah humbug.. if I could be bothered, I could find studies to refute all their claims. It feels like low fat propaganda, because if they reverse their guidelines, those of us who suffered ill health by following their guidelines, could launch a class action against the government. Besides which, imagine the hassle manufacturers would have, changing recipes to make them lower carb.
The EU wanted manufacturers to reduce the size of candy bars, the manufacturers agreed, but only if they could keep them the same price.

If everyone low carbed, the price of root veg would plummet and eggs, butter, cream, lard, dripping and leaft veg would be more expensive - supply and demand.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are in the minority on this forum as most diabetics will never have heard of LCHF and even if they do many will be loath to do something not approved by their medical teams. I know a lady who spent over 40 years doing medical research in one of the big London hospitals and was one of the top of her field she said anything new that comes along be it a drug or anything else can take years before it is approved as they have to be able to prove it is beneficial and what the long term effects will be. Low carbing has not been done by enough people for long enough yet to know the long term effects or if it will prevent complications until they know I doubt anything will change

But low carb diets for diabetic aren't new - they were first used in the 18th century to treat diabetes:

From Wikipedia:
In 1797, John Rollo reported on the results of treating two diabetic Army officers with a low-carbohydrate diet and medications. A very low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet was the standard treatment for diabetes throughout the 19th century.[15][16]

And here's the title page of an early 20th century diabetic cookery book, look particularly at the chapter on baking cakes and breads. (Oops forgot to add link :eek: - now fixed)
Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stunned to see yet another article in the press....15 Good reason why you SHOULD eat carbs...........one of them being that it can help PREVENT Type 2 diabetes!!! When, oh when will they get it right? Eat brown bread, rice, don't add fat blahhhhh.....still blaming sugar and advocating eating carbs....claiming it helps prevent type 2. I despair of them ever putting the right information out for the public. It is no wonder that more and more are being diagnosed when all the information points them in totally the wrong direction :(........rant over

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/15-reasons-you-really-should-6351826
I do not see the article as being about diabetes but is a generally healthy diet that most people who don't need to avoid starchy carbs if they are not diabetic or obese are advised to eat. I think the point is that if more people ate like that and cut out the junk food and sugar they consume by the ton there would not be so much obesity and therefore they maybe could avoid getting diabetes

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type 2. Before diagnosis I was not stuffing myself with junk food and my bmi was only 26 so hardly obese. However I did eat a low fat diet with plenty of complex carbs etc etc. I'm so fed up of this myth of all diabetics being out of control junk food consumers.

Reactions: 12 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to comment on the article but you have to register and so far it has rejected every attempt to do so. It seems their web site is also rubbish.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, we are in the minority. This forum is a great place for support, bouncing symptoms and fine tuning specific needs by trial and error to accommodate individual metabolisms.

I'm writing a letter to my GP detailing how I controlled my diabetes. It stands as a legal testimony on my records that the NHS guidelines are detrimental to my health, once a tick box system lets one person down it has failed to fulfil its duty of care.

You can not fight the world, you can however take control over your own health and wellness plan. When you can present a scientific argument to back up why you are not going to comply and fit in a tick box, the path to negotiating and instigating an individual healthcare approach to medical conditions starts to happen.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2. Before diagnosis I was not stuffing myself with junk food and my bmi was only 26 so hardly obese. However I did eat a low fat diet with plenty of complex carbs etc etc. I'm so fed up of this myth of all diabetics being out of control junk food consumers.

I keep seeing people saying this.

I wish they wouldn't, as I certainly was obese, dangerous BMI, ate junk foods etc.
And yes I developed diabetes, which went into remission when I lost the weight.

So being told obesity doesn't cause diabetes would see me still obese and diabetic.
And losing the weight also helped in a lot of other ways, so I'm more than happy to see some responsible eating encouraged.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep seeing people saying this.

I wish they wouldn't, as I certainly was obese, dangerous BMI, ate junk foods etc.
And yes I developed diabetes, which went into remission when I lost the weight.

So being told obesity doesn't cause diabetes would see me still obese and diabetic.
And losing the weight also helped in a lot of other ways, so I'm more than happy to see some responsible eating encouraged.
Why shouldn't people speak their truth just because it doesn't fit with your experience? It's no less valid than yours.

Reactions: 10 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is that is the impression given to the public about T2 the general image is someone very overweight who lives on takeaways and sugar stuff even when of course we don't all fit that bill. Someone actually said to me it was not possible for me to get T2 because I was not overweight and you had to be really fat to get it so that's how it is seen

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I've said before insulin resistance causes many T2's to become obese before diagnosis.

There are other causes of T2 though, taking statins increases the risk for instance.

Reactions: 8 people

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Trouble is that is the impression given to the public about T2 the general image is someone very overweight who lives on takeaways and sugar stuff even when of course we don't all fit that bill. Someone actually said to me it was not possible for me to get T2 because I was not overweight and you had to be really fat to get it so that's how it is seen
Yes I've had similar things said to me. People don't believe I'm diabetic because I'm not overweight.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The DSN walked past me in the clinic, then asked my name. " But you don't look fat enough to have diabetes " she exclaimed. I had in fact lost some weight in the gym prior to diagnosis.

The media creates this stereotypical view of people with diabetes all being fat gluttons with a 12 pack of crisps a day habit. Like all stereotypes, there's a grain of truth in there, in that you can walk around any supermarket and spot obese people with trolleys full of junk. But we're not all like that.

I find it really annoying when nurses assume that I love cakes. I just never ate them other than birthdays as a kid. I feel like I'm treated with prejudice because of other people hitting the takeaways.

What is really obvious, is how much money matters for a good diet. Not because it costs more to go additive free (unless going organic) but because people on lower incomes were often brought up in lower income families where the most important thing is price.

Food gets squeezed when people want big TV's, holidays abroad etc. Then they get surprised after filling their bodies with rubbish, that they get health problems.

Supermarkets should take a huge proportion of the blame, for making junk cheaper than real food.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The DSN walked past me in the clinic, then asked my name. " But you don't look fat enough to have diabetes " she exclaimed. I had in fact lost some weight in the gym prior to diagnosis.

The media creates this stereotypical view of people with diabetes all being fat gluttons with a 12 pack of crisps a day habit. Like all stereotypes, there's a grain of truth in there, in that you can walk around any supermarket and spot obese people with trolleys full of junk. But we're not all like that.

I find it really annoying when nurses assume that I love cakes. I just never ate them other than birthdays as a kid. I feel like I'm treated with prejudice because of other people hitting the takeaways.

What is really obvious, is how much money matters for a good diet. Not because it costs more to go additive free (unless going organic) but because people on lower incomes were often brought up in lower income families where the most important thing is price.

Food gets squeezed when people want big TV's, holidays abroad etc. Then they get surprised after filling their bodies with rubbish, that they get health problems.

Supermarkets should take a huge proportion of the blame, for making junk cheaper than real food.

If they made junk as dear as real food, admittedly profits would go up briefly, but many would starve.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I

Of course it would, but the two don't go hand in hand. I've seen it all .... people as thin as a paper clip as T2s and others overweight who couldn't catch a cold let alone diabetes.

It's a factor, but so are heaps of other issues. Genetics for one, exercise another, bad diet .....