newbie and readings

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Maria again. Diagnosed 5 days ago and confused. I thought the first reading in the morning should be the lowest? Am I wrong? Mine this morning was 8, and now later in the day (3 hours or so after a small breakfast and not a lot of exercise) it is under 6? Been on the meds for 4 full days , any advise? Thank you!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Maria. Try not to be too concerned with your morning readings, your 2 hr post meal readings are the most important ones.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maria. Try not to be too concerned with your morning readings, your 2 hr post meal readings are the most important ones.
Thanks for that ... yes it happened again today, 169 (9.38!!!) compared to yesterday afternoon at below 130 (7 ish)!!! I have only been on the meds for 6 days too, so I guess they may take a while to kick in!?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for that ... yes it happened again today, 169 (9.38!!!) compared to yesterday afternoon at below 130 (7 ish)!!! I have only been on the meds for 6 days too, so I guess they may take a while to kick in!?
Metformin doesn't lower BG by very much. Most of the lowering will need to be done by changing what you eat. This does take time. What sort of things are you eating?

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin doesn't lower BG by very much. Most of the lowering will need to be done by changing what you eat. This does take time. What sort of things are you eating?
Hi, well since diagnosed I have been low calorie under 1000 with hardly any sugar. as from today on 800. only been diagnosed 6 days ago. Why the metformin if it doesnt lower the bg? !!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi, well since diagnosed I have been low calorie under 1000 with hardly any sugar. as from today on 800. only been diagnosed 6 days ago. Why the metformin if it doesnt lower the bg? !!!
Metformin does lower the BG, just not by as much as some people think it does. It has several important benefits:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

It's great that you have reduced sugar, but you probably also need to reduce carbs as they are converted into sugar.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 in May and have been on a low carb diet and testing since July and almost always, my first test of the day is one of my highest if not the highest. It makes for a depressing start to the day! Over the course of the day, all the other results are lower, whether before or after a meal. My feeling is that this may still all be much too early to see significant change in this - anyone think I'm right?

Reactions: 4 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I was diagnosed T2 in May and have been on a low carb diet and testing since July and almost always, my first test of the day is one of my highest if not the highest. It makes for a depressing start to the day! Over the course of the day, all the other results are lower, whether before or after a meal. My feeling is that this may still all be much too early to see significant change in this - anyone think I'm right?

Hi looks like you on the right track

Reactions: 3 people