Carer..... for 43 years!

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance and cruelty to animals and people
I think we all learn best from experience in our own life and those of others :)

Reactions: 5 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There's loads of posts out there, posted by existing or newly diagnosed Type 1's - all very upbeat and hopeful. But not so many from the "carers" of those same Type 1s Are we the forgotten few? And do those newly diagnosed Type1s (and their carers) know what the future holds? I don't think so. But the future is actually bleak - let's not pretend. 43 years ago I thought, "never mind I love this guy and there will be a cure soon" . Hasn't happened, and it's not in prospect.

Over time, through lack of awareness (which is inevitable), hypoglycaemia becomes a regular occurrence (sorry folks, but its true}. It is not fun for the sufferer, but a hell of a lot less fun for the carer who has to deal with it- because the sufferer cannot. Yes that same loved one/ carer is subjected to aggression and public embarrassment.
But we don’t see it discussed. After 43 years, I’m getting to the end of MY rope. Does anyone out there understand?
A real wake-up call from us Carers is overdue. (Don't think I ever saw myself as a "carer", but that's what I am!)

@patc47 ....just to say hello and that there are a number of partners of diabetics here on the forum too....my partner has Type 2 for about 15 to 20 years but we have only been together for the last 5 so nowhere near your 43.....

Have noticed there have been a number of replies on here that seem to question the definition of 'carer' and I guess everyone has their own defintion of what a carer is.....in my case I would say that I care about my partner and what happens to him with his diabetes but am not yet a carer in the medical sense of the word....though my GP tells me that one day I will be...

@patc47....am happy to talk and lend a friendly ear if you need one though I so far have no practical experience of being a partner dealing with the after effects of hypos as you describe as my partner seems to insist on running at higher levels...

@Jaylee ...thanks for thinking of me....:)

Reactions: 2 people