The good the bad and the ugly

Kamili

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. So far I have bee pleased with myself and with the help of my new trusty meter of keeping my BG within a reasonable ratio of 4.2-8.6. I realize that the way forward to lose the extra weight I'm carrying is to embrace the low carb diet. A few questions regarding certain items of food and the views of the community would be helpful. Coffee whitening, nana bread and chapatis,mitts bread, cheese triangles, hummus, frankfurter sausages and what cheese?

Any help would be appreciated

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well done!

I have been able to find good info about foods by googling the name of the food with "carbs".

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing will help you identify what breads you can eat.

I have found that some turkish bread does not raise me by very much, whereas a naan bread sends me sky high.

Potatos in small quantities are okay but bread flour in general is a no-go

cheese triangles, hummus, frankfurter sausages should all be okay

Kamili

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that. Living in Kenya certain foods are hard to come by. Turkish bread would be impossible to get here. Pity about the naan bread it's one of my favorites. Pleased about the potatoes. Is pitta bread classed as a flat bread? I still have a sweet tooth. Any recommendations for a recipe for a nice biscuit that I can use.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try reading a LCHF website like dietdoctor.com because bread, potatoes and crispbreads are not actually low carb. Nor are root veg. Totally up to you what you eat but all those things will raise blood glucose and or insulin. How much depends on your body.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for that. Living in Kenya certain foods are hard to come by. Turkish bread would be impossible to get here. Pity about the naan bread it's one of my favorites. Pleased about the potatoes. Is pitta bread classed as a flat bread? I still have a sweet tooth. Any recommendations for a recipe for a nice biscuit that I can use.
There are ways to satisfy a sweet tooth without eating a lot of carbs. I use artificial sweeteners. Berries are sweet and low carb. Apples are ok with a meal. Also, once your body gets used to low carbing, your tastes change and your body adapts.

Reactions: 2 people

Kamili

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try reading a LCHF website like dietdoctor.com because bread, potatoes and crispbreads are not actually low carb. Nor are root veg. Totally up to you what you eat but all those things will raise blood glucose and or insulin. How much depends on your body.

Thanks. I am trying to understand what's good and what's bad. I have been taking everyone's advice and doing a bit of research. I don't want to not eat the things I enjoy but prefer to quarter the quantity and have them less often which seems to be working as my BG levels show. I am collecting a book of recipes of suitable snacks that will see me through the day. Feeling more confident as time goes on. Thanks again for you interest.