Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

If you have RH (diagnosed or not), could you spare a few seconds to complete this poll?
- I'm just curious to see what else we RHers have in common...?

Of course, this is highly unscientific, but I am curious... does RH come as part of a bigger package, or are we all just unique little snowflakes? ;)

Sorry if you have other stuff not listed here, but feel free to post and explain. Unfiortunately I can't go back and add new things into the poll (it won't let me).

Hope you find it as interesting as I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not one of your ever-growing club, but well done on starting this thread. There do seem to be more and more people arriving on this forum with RH, most of whom have no idea that's what they have! :)

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second Bluetit. Just thought I push this up front. ;)

I've know a couple of people in the past that appeared to have RH syptoms.

Now I know it has a name!

I'll tag in @nosher8355 o_O just in case he's not aware of this thread & questionnaire..:cool:

Reactions: 2 people

hozzy126

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria I can't seem to open the link for your survey?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Done and done, I would never have thought of doing a survey hopefully we find a trend or two.
The milk one has fascinated me since one the RH ers posted it. I'm sure I did say something at the time!

Maybe before diagnosis, putting weight on because of excess insulin.

Sleep deprivation or weird dreams.

I'll try and think of some more!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks noshy.

I deliberately didnt put the overweight thing in, because i think the trend for RH is to start slim, then eventually gain as time goes on and Insulin resistance grows (although there will always be exceptions!). So i thought the question would be ambiguous.

The sleep thing is an interesting question! But it would be very subjective. Not sure if it would work in the poll.

- i generally dont remember dreams, but when i do remember them, by heck do i remember them. They are incredibly surreal, detailed, full technicolor and high octane!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks noshy.

I deliberately didnt put the overweight thing in, because i think the trend for RH is to start slim, then eventually gain as time goes on and Insulin resistance grows (although there will always be exceptions!). So i thought the question would be ambiguous.

The sleep thing is an interesting question! But it would be very subjective. Not sure if it would work in the poll.

- i generally dont remember dreams, but when i do remember them, by heck do i remember them! They are incredibly surreal, detailed, full technicolor and high octane!

Ditto

Oh yeah! Fully nicam stereo, 3d, widescreen, cinema scope!

And painful!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever had the thing where you get injured in the dream, and wake up unable to move the severed limb (or whatever was injured)?

And do you ever sleepwalk? I do, but only when stressed.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you ever had the thing where you get injured in the dream, and wake up unable to move the severed limb (or whatever was injured)?

Yes I have! And covered in bruises!
Mrs nosh won't sleep in same bed if she feels me dreaming.

Have never sleep walked but have found myself on the other side the bedroom!

I believe that sleep deprivation or disruption is more active when your temperature is up. Or when blood glucose levels are bouncing high then low.

Do you dream things that actually happen, deja vu type things, I do! Weird!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get deja vue sometimes, but i have observed that my dreams are often linked to nutrition. If i remember my supplements for the first time in a while, then i am very likely to dream intensely that night. Maybe i dream every night, but only remember then when i am fully nutritioned, as it were...

The sleepwalking (goodness, the stories i could embarrass myself with, if i was that stupid to tell them on the forum...) Is always linked to stress.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have read somewhere that we tend to remember our dreams if we are awoken straight out of REM sleep. The natural sleep cycle is about 90 minutes where we progress through 4 sleep stages into REM or deep sleep, where we dream, then progress back out through the stages. But if this cycle is interrupted by something then we are aware of our dreams.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I get deja vue sometimes, but i have observed that my dreams are often linked to nutrition. If i remember my supplements for the first time in a while, then i am very likely to dream intensely that night. Maybe i dream every night, but only remember then when i am fully nutritioned, as it were...

The sleepwalking (goodness, the stories i could embarrass myself with, if i was that stupid to tell them on the forum...) Is always linked to stress.

Haven't done the stress thing since hospital stay, always quick to anger then relax, I think because the wife needs me to be focused for both of us, I can't let myself stress, working helps, and walking the dog really helps. I destress very quickly!
I just don't let things get on top of me, because I couldn't do what I do, if I did!
I know that things eventually need to be sorted but I don't need to think of things in the future, rather in the present.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I started out slim and then gradually put on weight and couldn't get it off. As a consequence of eating carbs.
I'd vote if putting on weight were a common symptom

You've put intolerances, before I vote could you help me understand please?
Milk - if I consume it makes me snotty. Literally I get the sniffles and it's really annoying having that much mucous being produced. Cheese isn't too bad, yoghurt is ok, butter ok. It's only milk and cream that affects me like that. Does that mean I'm intolerant?

Wheat or grain intolerance, do you mean like when it spikes my BG?

Reactions of artificial sweeteners, what kind of reactions and which sweeteners? I don't know of any but I want to avoid any well known ones. I'm currently searching for a sweetener I can have in my coffee.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started out slim and then gradually put on weight and couldn't get it off. As a consequence of eating carbs.
I'd vote if putting on weight were a common symptom

You've put intolerances, before I vote could you help me understand please?
Milk - if I consume it makes me snotty. Literally I get the sniffles and it's really annoying having that much mucous being produced. Cheese isn't too bad, yoghurt is ok, butter ok. It's only milk and cream that affects me like that. Does that mean I'm intolerant?

Wheat or grain intolerance, do you mean like when it spikes my BG?

Reactions of artificial sweeteners, what kind of reactions and which sweeteners? I don't know of any but I want to avoid any well known ones. I'm currently searching for a sweetener I can have in my coffee.

Thanks for asking! :)

I guess with both wheat and grains, its whether you feel it is worth calling it an allergy/intolerance. My feeling is that if a food causes an immune reaction (like snuffles, itching, bloating, gut issues) then it should count.

As for the sweeteners, that is kind of up to you.
The reason i included the question is because i do have reactions (insomnia, hyperactivity, thirst and headaches) to some. Although i know there is a lot of controversy about it, and some people poo poo the idea. All i can say is they should borrow my body and try the experience! ;)

i am fine with the least synthetic ones (stevia, xylitol and erythritol). Unfortunately and inevitably, they are also the most expensive! :rolleyes:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for asking! :)

I guess with both wheat and grains, its whether you feel it is worth calling it an allergy/intolerance. My feeling is that if a food causes an immune reaction (like snuffles, itching, bloating, gut issues) then it should count.

As for the sweeteners, that is kind of up to you.
The reason i included the question is because i do have reactions (insomnia, hyperactivity, thirst and headaches) to some. Although i know there is a lot of controversy about it, and some people poo poo the idea. All i can say is they should borrow my body and try the experience! ;)

i am fine with the least synthetic ones (stevia, xylitol and erythritol). Unfortunately and inevitably, they are also the most expensive! :rolleyes:
Just curious, how have you found sucaryl (saccharin)... it's pretty cheap and it's been around for a long time. I'm lucky I don't react badly to sweeteners but I know some people do.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just curious, how have you found sucaryl (saccharin)... it's pretty cheap and it's been around for a long time. I'm lucky I don't react badly to sweeteners but I know some people do.

I think (from memory) saccharin tasted vile, and left a viler aftertaste, so wasn't ever interested in using it as a sweetener, but I couldn't tell you which artificial sweetener gives which particular symptom.

What I usually do is eat something, feel weird, shrug.
Then eat it again, feel weird. Think 'oh, are their sweeteners in that?' check the ingredients, see that there are, and dismiss the food from from my approved list.

For instance, I haven't drunk sugarfree fizzy drinks since the night I was up all night cleaning the house frenetically because I felt I was on amphetamine... Dread to think what amphetamine would actually do to me ;)

The only one that I definitely know the symptoms to is Aspartame, because it gives me a thumping headache that lasts about 18 hours, insomnia (but not hyperactivity) and I seem to get very thirsty.

Life is just too short to go looking for a particular member of a food group that may not give me the same symptoms that all the others have proven to give.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think (from memory) saccharin tasted vile, and left a viler aftertaste, so wasn't ever interested in using it as a sweetener, but I couldn't tell you which artificial sweetener gives which particular symptom.

What I usually do is eat something, feel weird, shrug.
Then eat it again, feel weird. Think 'oh, are their sweeteners in that?' check the ingredients, see that there are, and dismiss the food from from my approved list.

For instance, I haven't drunk sugarfree fizzy drinks since the night I was up all night cleaning the house frenetically because I felt I was on amphetamine... Dread to think what amphetamine would actually do to me ;)

The only one that I definitely know the symptoms to is Aspartame, because it gives me a thumping headache that lasts about 18 hours, insomnia (but not hyperactivity) and I seem to get very thirsty.

Life is just too short to go looking for a particular member of a food group that may not give me the same symptoms that all the others have proven to give.
Yeah fair enough, I'd probably take the same approach myself.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I

I think there is a link between rh and sleepwalking. Also my son had night terrors at a young age and I now realize that he also has rh

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Humph.
I have just tried to go back and add in a sleepwalking and absurdly intense dreaming (aka night terrors) option to the poll, and it won't let me.
:mad:
But I would love to hear of others who have experienced it!

So far we have @mariavontrapp 's son, myself and @nosher8355 (cos I think 'finding myself across the bedroom' counts, unless you have learned to fly, noshy?)