Curious! How and what do you all take to treat your hypos?

Peterrhoades

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember a few years back I got up with very low suger level. I had half a box of cat munchies dipped in jam. I would not recommend it to anyone so now I use Gluco Tabs far less fishy.

Reactions: 9 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lucozade then a small biscuit if necessary :) If I'm out and about, I'll have glucose tablets but I find the Lucozade works quicker and is more palatable. I've grown to dislike that intense taste from the glucose tablets. It makes me want to gulp down water or swill my mouth out.

I do have sweets too sometimes - jelly babies, jelly beans, fruit pastilles, children's sweets like those that come in the little packets (usually 3 for a £). I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses Nutella : D I thought that was a dreadful indulgence : D

Reactions: 2 people

Soledad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Couple of digestives, jelly bellies (butter popcorn is my favorite). Lucozade.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies followed up with a cheesy oatcake or two if necessary. I used to use orange juice quite a lot...as you say being liquid it does bring you up quicker...the down side is that I find it just too drinkable and find it hard to stop.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Not a problem at all. Is it a diabetes related eye issue as another member once told me he experiences problems with text in bold. My apologies. X
Thanks for the change. No I don't have any eye problems, black text is just easier on the eye :)

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember very clearly one of my first hypos - It was a 3.1 and I just ate crazily. 300 ml of lucozade, two slices of toast and some cereal... 28.1 an hour later! :O It certainly was a steep learning curve that first week :)

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance and cruelty to animals and people
I was advised that back in 1976..
Nowa daze, it's anything carby I can get my hands on..! Though most sweets taste like "toilet block" to me!

If gigging though. It needs to be drinkable..
Yes, when I was diagnosed it was NO sugar apart from if you hypo!
I went on for years like that and in a way still do, sweet foods make me feel ill just looking at them most of the time and after a hypo I tend to experience stomach cramps. I think after all these years I may have a slight sugar intolerance.

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I remember very clearly one of my first hypos - It was a 3.1 and I just ate crazily. 300 ml of lucozade, two slices of toast and some cereal... 28.1 an hour later! :O It certainly was a steep learning curve that first week :)
ooo I bet you felt rough!
The hospital induced my first hypo, very scary because they just left me so my family could see what to expect.
I was 12 and honestly thought I was dying, it was horrible :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The hospital induced my first hypo, very scary because they just left me so my family could see what to expect.

Likewise @Bingki Rose, first hypo was induced whilst in hospital and they wouldn't let me go home until I'd experienced one.

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lucozade then a small biscuit if necessary :) If I'm out and about, I'll have glucose tablets but I find the Lucozade works quicker and is more palatable. I've grown to dislike that intense taste from the glucose tablets. It makes me want to gulp down water or swill my mouth out.

I do have sweets too sometimes - jelly babies, jelly beans, fruit pastilles, children's sweets like those that come in the little packets (usually 3 for a £). I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses Nutella : D I thought that was a dreadful indulgence : D
Oh I completely agree with you about the taste of glucose tablets! They are like eating chalk and like you said you just want to gulp down water!

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just to let you know guys if your not already aware, but Boots sell not only GLUCO TABS but they also sell it in a liquid form.
When I lived abroad for abit I found it hard to find Lucozade so used these instead, very handy if your travelling and not sure what it available.

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The hospital induced mine as well when diagnosed although I think it was unintentional. I was 18 and on insulin and saline drips. Shortly after the food was delivered I was sat there shaking, sweating, completely out of it - I didn't have a clue what was going on and no one said anything about it after either.

29 years later I think most of my hypo symptoms have gone now - does that make me eligible for a CGM? ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pure natural honey, Lucozade drink and tablets. A good cup of hot sweet tea and some digestives usually do the trick ! :)

Because of the way that glucose works with my metabolism, I have a hot black tea, no sugar, and a plain biscuit to bring my levels back up slowly and then after about fifteen minutes, a very low carb small meal.

This stops the recurring hyper followed by another hypo!

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, when I was diagnosed it was NO sugar apart from if you hypo!
I went on for years like that and in a way still do, sweet foods make me feel ill just looking at them most of the time and after a hypo I tend to experience stomach cramps. I think after all these years I may have a slight sugar intolerance.

The pancreas's job releases enzymes into the upper colon too? (To aid digestion.) With the lack of insulin function it should be doing too, this maybe the issue?? (Especially if the beta cells aren't producing insulin to keep it all in check.) Someone please pull me up if I'm off the mark?! :D

I have to admit if I am not careful & over treat a hypo? My guts can get occasionally get dodgy a couple of hours later if I spike too high..? More likely using chocolate.. I'm OK with buiscuit, pastry, (pork pie) or bread as a follow up to a little glug of Lucozade or fat coke.
Though milk & a buiscut is still a nice "comfort" for a hypo if I got time for a slower rise... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Funny enough... Once in a while I have found myself in a hypoglycaemic "holding pattern".
To elaborate. I play in a couple of bands. I don't eat at least 5/6 hours prior to a gig. (I'm a singer. Food restricts the diaphragm. After years of gigging I still get "nerves" too?)

Anyway. I normally do Lantus, around 11pm. On a "school night". (Day job too.) But these gigs happen between 8 & 11pm so I dont basal till between mid night & 2am? (Depending on the gigs geographic location.) Granted. Some say Lantus lasts an 18 hour period? Though the "sales pitch" contradicts & says 24 hours... ;)
So if I drop on the odd ocaision when I roll in after a gig to the mid 4s or around 3.5? I can hover there for ages.. Though, there is no way I'm going to do Lantus at 4mmol then retire to bed at around 3am..:stop: Thought I'd add, get the BS respectable first....

Last edited by a moderator:

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone used the Dextrose 'Sport Nutrition' Tablets? I just noticed them in a local store yesterday.

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I Funny enough... Once in a while I have found myself in a hypoglycaemic "holding pattern".
To elaborate. I play in a couple of bands. I don't eat at least 5/6 hours prior to a gig. (I'm a singer. Food restricts the diaphragm. After years of gigging I still get "nerves" too?)

Anyway. I normally do Lantus, around 11pm. On a "school night". (Day job too.) But these gigs happen between 8 & 11pm so I dont basal till between mid night & 2am? (Depending on the gigs geographic location.) Granted. Some say Lantus lasts an 18 hour period? Though the "sales pitch" contradicts & says 24 hours... ;)
So if I drop on the odd ocaision when I roll in after a gig to the mid 4s or around 3.5? I can hover there for ages.. Though, there is no way I'm going to do Lantus at 4mmol then retire to bed at around 3am..:stop: Thought I'd add, get the BS respectable first....
Yes when I was changed over to Lantus or Solostar now, I was told it lasted 24hours. But day after day around 3pm I became tired and worn out. My Diabetic nurse told me that Lantus was ment to last 24 hours but doesn't for everyone, so I now take half my dose in the morning and the other half at dinner so I am keeping it constant.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I had to stop buying Nutella as I was eating it straight from the jar without the excuse of a hypo! Yummy stuff.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Likewise.. Without the family though. Took the insulin in the morning before due to be relased in the afternoon. I was told to go and run up and down 4 flights of stairs until I felt ill.... The most unsuccessful hypo induced attempt ever I reckon. The nurses gave up as I just did not go hypo.... Went home none the wiser. A week later I had the worst hypo.. Poor hubby had to call ambulance. Had 2 crews in the end and a GP that I hit when he tried to put an intravenous line in me!!

I really feel for T1's that aren't hospitalised and have an induced hypo... My 1st one was absolutely awful. When home from hypo I had to go and apologise to the GP......

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Likewise.. Without the family though. Took the insulin in the morning before due to be relased in the afternoon. I was told to go and run up and down 4 flights of stairs until I felt ill.... The most unsuccessful hypo induced attempt ever I reckon. The nurses gave up as I just did not go hypo.... Went home none the wiser. A week later I had the worst hypo.. Poor hubby had to call ambulance. Had 2 crews in the end and a GP that I hit when he tried to put an intravenous line in me!!

I really feel for T1's that aren't hospitalised and have an induced hypo... My 1st one was absolutely awful. When home from hypo I had to go and apologise to the GP......
Run up and down the stairs! wow that's an interesting plan to get you to hypo o_O
I am sorry that your first experience of a hypo was so awful for both yourself and your husband, it was wrong of the hospital to send you home without experiencing a hypo, just ridiculous.