I've put on weight!

Libbaloo

One week into the LCHF way of eating and I have put on 3lbs. Very disappointed as I was trying to stick to the foods but perhaps my portion size or carb levels are too much. Like other Newbies, the idea of eating all this extra fat is something to get used to. Maybe I am snacking too much on nuts and seeds? I have eaten a fair bit of avocado with green salads etc but feeling rather disappointed on the scales this morning although perhaps my BG levels are stabilising - 5's and 6's as a Pre D.
Help!:(

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry, but you have not filled in the info tab on your profile .. so am going to ask .. Are you T1 or 2 .. are you on any medication and how low is your low carb ?
I do around the 30g a day and had no problem loosing weight .. so if your doing that it could be medication thats stopping you looses weight !

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are your carb, protein and fat amounts? It's important to count them, at the beginning at least. Later once it's working you can go by feel. At the start you should count, and count *everything". Whatever you don't count, you can be sure that's what the culprit / cheat is.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'd also want to make sure the weighing conditions were the same at the start and finish... same set of scales both times, are the scales working properly, same time of day, no clothes or the same clothes both times, and both after going to the toilet.

When I am watching my weight I weigh myself at least once a week, and often daily because I am worried about it getting away on me.

Another thing that can cause variance is the menstrual cycle, with most women finding they weigh a little more around the very end/start of their cycle.

Fluid retention is another factor.

A lot of exercise can build up muscle, which weighs a lot... but I don't know if that happens in a 3 week period.

Basically, your food choices are likely the main factor here, but it would pay to consider the above issues as well, just to be sure.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any chance you are constipated? That can make quite a difference.

In my experience (and I have made every mistake in the book at one time or another), my main reason for weight gain on LCHF is having too many of those insidious innocuous looking invisible carbs - like the tomato sauce and carbs in baked beans, the little sachet of stir fry sauce that came in the pack, or the carbs in sausages, or the breadcrumbs on a scotch egg... They mount up astonishingly quickly.

The key thing is to only add fat when you have dropped your carb intake so low that the fat doesn't end up on your hips.
For me, that is less than 50 g carbs a day.
To lose weight, I need to drop it even further - to somewhere less than 20g

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of emphasis seems to be put onto the HF part of the eating plan, but in reality it is the LC part that is most important.

If you are still eating too many carbs and adding additonal Fat to that your weight can onlt do one thing.

Reactions: 4 people

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
Can someone give a lesson on HOW to count carbs? OK, I can read the label which might give the info that something contains, say, 6% carbs per 100 gram ... of which ?% is sugar.
Needs translating into normal-speak.
I know you can buy books, I have one called the Great Cals and Carbs Directory' where it goves carbs per 100 g.
THEN what? Do we weigh out 100 grams of whatever (cream crackers, bread, sausages, brazil nuts?) and then weigh out what we intend to eat with the next meal and do the maths?
So I'm having 3 sausages, 1 small new potato, cauliflower and onion gravy for supper ........... it'll be cold before I get to eat it!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Can someone give a lesson on HOW to count carbs? OK, I can read the label which might give the info that something contains, say, 6% carbs per 100 gram ... of which ?% is sugar.
Needs translating into normal-speak.
I know you can buy books, I have one called the Great Cals and Carbs Directory' where it goves carbs per 100 g.
THEN what? Do we weigh out 100 grams of whatever (cream crackers, bread, sausages, brazil nuts?) and then weigh out what we intend to eat with the next meal and do the maths?
So I'm having 3 sausages, 1 small new potato, cauliflower and onion gravy for supper ........... it'll be cold before I get to eat it!
I make an estimate of the serving size based on the nutritional panel or on the results I get when I google the name of the food along with the word "carb".

The sugar component of carbs is irrelevant - it's the total carbs that matter, because they are all going to end up sugar anyway.

Reactions: 3 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Sausages will have a label showing how much carb per 100g and also probably per sausage, or per protion. The new potato I have no idea, but then I also have no idea how a potato is part of a LC meal, and Cauliflower is about 5g per 100g, so weigh it and remember the portion size for future dates, or just say it's 5g which is what I do.

I tend to over estimate the portion size to be on the safe side.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[label, Carbs n Cals]
THEN what?
I usually do the calculation while the food is cooking. You can weigh it but in most cases if it's got a label you're having half a pack or a whole pack so division or multiplication is not needed. Often the label will give the nutrition data per half pack or per sausage etc as well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the pack says 28g total carbs, and the pack weighs 400 g then
If I eat it all, I have eaten 28g, and if I eat a quarter I have eaten 7g

Don't count the fibre (American packaging lumps the fibre in with the carb total, which is confusing for people not expecting that)
and don't take any notice of the ???g sugar. Sugar is a carb, but since all the carbs listed will raise your blood glucose, there is absolutely no point even looking at the sugar content. Just focus on the total carbs, without the fibre, and you will get the info you need.

Libbaloo

I'm Pre D but haven't yet added my details to my profile. Thank you to everyone for tips and explanations. I had my first 4.7 pre meal reading this afternoon... first since testing. At least that is going in the right direction. I'll try and refocus. Had a lot of distractions today so although eaten three meals, I haven't snacked as I did over weekend.

Hoping to see scales changing soon.

Reactions: 4 people