Breakfast

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have type 1, and I was wondering what other type 1s eat for breakfast?
It's really hard to find a breakfast that doesn't give me a mid morning spike (up to 16). And then sometimes I go low :/
I have tried being vegan since march, for ethical reasons, but every breakfast apart from eggs with low carb toast, mayo and celery has given me a spike. For this reason I'm considering eating eggs again for breakfast.
Does anyone have any breakfast suggestions?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought that adding mushrooms and bacon to your eggs would brighten breakfast up a bit. I am a T2 but I still eat breakfast.

I also find that low carb bread is not quite as low as I would wish but I am addicted to it now. Much better than the white pap type of bread.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, since the only means of control that a type 2 has is the food they put in their mouths I would have expected them to know something about this and to have helped out here.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I would have thought that adding mushrooms and bacon to your eggs would brighten breakfast up a bit. I am a T2 but I still eat breakfast.

I also find that low carb bread is not quite as low as I would wish but I am addicted to it now. Much better than the white pap type of bread.
As hollyslot is vegan, I don;t think bacon would brighten up breakfast.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am eating a soft boiled egg with half a high protein roll from Lidl (4g carbs) with loads of butter on it at the moment, with a mug of decaf coffee and double cream. Spikes negligible, but I'm a T2 on diet only, so no meds to help me.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Also, since the only means of control that a type 2 has is the food they put in their mouths I would have expected them to know something about this and to have helped out here.
I can't offer any help as I'm not vegan. My diet relies on eating animal products.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to start a row or hijack a thread but I wish to know for my own understanding. Aren't eggs an animal product?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't want to start a row or hijack a thread but I wish to know for my own understanding. Aren't eggs an animal product?
Yes, but they don't require killing a sentient being. I understood the OP to be considering making an exception to her ethical veganism because of health need. Which I think is understandable.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am only climbing down because I don't wish to provoke a lively debate on this issue.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am only climbing down because I don't wish to provoke a lively debate on this issue.
Maybe start a new thread? I think the OP is looking for support and info to help her manage her eating and diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I am happy to leave it. I do not wish to start defining various diets in detail. OP has a problem and we should help and not muddy up the water.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ocado has a South African range of frozen vegan and vegetarian products. The Fry's frozen Polony is vegan, 6.6g carbs per 100g and costs £3.55 for 500g. There are various strips and sausages.

Vegideli makes vegan 'bacon' which is 6.1g carbs per 100g £2.25 for 115g and Cauldron does an organic recipe smoked tofu which is 1.9g carbs per 100g and Sainsbury's sells that as well.

Birds Eye vegetable fingers are vegan, 28g box of 10 is £1 at Iceland, currently 2 for 1.50 and 13g carbs for two fingers, grilled.

I was a lacto-vegetarian for fourteen years so I have tried quite a few pseudo bangers n bacon.

Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages contain additives and taste like cardboard inside. The outer casing gets so hard, that if you've not stabbed well with your fork before cutting with knife it can get away from you. If you want to try though, £1.25 for 6, and 7.6g carbs for two, grilled. They are vegan and also fortified with iron, niacin, calcium and thiamine.

Quorn can cause allergic reactions (and pretty much all of these products contain wheat or soy btw) but you can find faux bacon etc in Sainsbury's, Tesco, ASDA etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malsange

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what are your thought on eggs? I like my eggs over medium; how many eggs should you eat? I eat 2 eggs twice a week, and use egg whites in my special broccoli almost every day for breakfast; I also use egg whites in all my 1 min. muffins in a mug, in my bun for 1, and my 70 second bread.; I don't want to eat too many whole eggs as not sure of the cholesterol problem?
I was told that the cholesterol in eggs do not affect your blood serum? what does affect your blood serum?

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have a bowl of porridge and some fruit :)

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what are your thought on eggs? I like my eggs over medium; how many eggs should you eat? I eat 2 eggs twice a week, and use egg whites in my special broccoli almost every day for breakfast; I also use egg whites in all my 1 min. muffins in a mug, in my bun for 1, and my 70 second bread.; I don't want to eat too many whole eggs as not sure of the cholesterol problem?
I was told that the cholesterol in eggs do not affect your blood serum? what does affect your blood serum?
i have no idea how many are 'safe' to eat per week! I eat around 4/5 depending on the week and what i'm doing, some weeks none at all!

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you. Both sound complicated but actually take about 10 mins max.