Homeopathy and Diabetes

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably would have gone away on it's own, given that the pills had no actual active ingredients.
Quite possibly...but had tried various creams prescribed by the doctor for several months prior with absolutely no effect so for this to make such a difference in such a short space of time indicates that it's not all mumbo jumbo and that we should keep an open mind.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon if it works, it works - I don't much care why. Placebo, nocebo, what does it matter if you get the result you want?

I'd probably try a witch doctor if someone I trusted recommended one and told me he'd cured their diabetes :p

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother sees a GP, an osteopath and a homeopathic doctor who used to be a GP. I have to admit that I would fall about laughing if some New Age woman started talking about healing my chakras.

Herbs are nutrient dense however and I grow many of mine, so much so that I can use them as green veg. If a herbalist was telling me about nutritional benefits and herbal remedies, I probably would listen, but I wouldn't expect to be cured.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My mother sees a GP, an osteopath and a homeopathic doctor who used to be a GP. I have to admit that I would fall about laughing if some New Age woman started talking about healing my chakras.

Herbs are nutrient dense however and I grow many of mine, so much so that I can use them as green veg. If a herbalist was telling me about nutritional benefits and herbal remedies, I probably would listen, but I wouldn't expect to be cured.

A homeopath that used to be a GP? That makes me sad. Going from scientifically proven medicine that works, to a faith-based system that has been studied over and over again and shown to be nothing more than placebo.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably would have gone away on it's own, given that the pills had no actual active ingredients.

You are shattering my illusions of finding a suitable Witch Doctor with some active Ju-Ju beans as an NHS alternative :D

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are shattering my illusions of finding a suitable Witch Doctor with some active Ju-Ju beans as an NHS alternative :D
Ju-JU beans probably more safer than the NHS advice on food , just but them on one of them Lidl rolls

Reactions: 4 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was amused to discover that in France homeopathy is very popular and is covered by their basic health insurance.

Nevertheless, the placebo effect is mighty, and research has uncovered a variety of mechanisms through which it can be manifested (http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.psych.59.113006.095941). Similarly, the main effects and side effects of recognised, "scientific" medicaments are not experienced in the same way by everyone. I say, if it works for you, keep it up!