help with meters

Smiler45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've been type 1 since diagnosis back in 1994, I was set which insulin and how much to take with a few tweaks here and there over the years. Recently my diabetes team think I should be brought upto date...carb counting. .. I've been told to look at meters which can help with the carbs but not sure which ones are the best, easiest to us and if there are any free ones!? Can anyone help please x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The pivotal question seems to be "Do you want accuracy or affordability"? It's not the price of the meter you have to worry about, it's the price of the consumables. Test strips and lancets will set you back a pretty penny. You will soon forget the price you paid for the actual meter.

The Abbott Freestyle Lite proved to be accurate but the price of the test strips is extortionate. You may pay £10 to £20 for a box of 50.

The SD codefree is a little bit inaccurate in that mine reads one mmol too high in the lower range and anything you like in the higher range but knocking one off the score is economical when you can buy test strips for about £6 for 50.

I recycle my lancets. That is I use them once and then tip them all into a steamer for 30 minutes.