Diabetes and Carbohydrates

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I was referring to the previous comment and thought I was responding directly to that one.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I was referring to the previous comment and thought I was responding directly to that one.
Just click on the Reply button, next to the Like button, and it will be clear whom you respond to.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I find this discussion very interesting, as I am quite new to this. I have cut down my carbs, some time before the diabetes type 2 diagnosis, then I lost my period and just felt wrong being so super thin (lower third normal weight BMI, but strong and muscular). I ate carbs again and got my period back. Since my diagnosis I have been aiming for 100g a day and my period hasn't been back since.

I have read several articles like this, and some of it in scientific books: http://robbwolf.com/2014/02/20/females-carbohydrates-hormones/ I prioritise my diabetes at this moment, but I feel a bit like I am playing with fire when it comes to the rest of my health, particularly my fertility. What are your opinions about this?
Are you actually getting enough calories? If you cut down your carbs you need to replace some of the lost calories with either protein or fat. That could be the reason you have stopped having your period.

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not convinced the effect is strong enough. According to the article I cited, the effect is 0.09%. Not worth the money, IMHO, although cinnamon is fairly cheap, to be fair.
0.5 mmol/l is not insignificant. Unfortunately this was only visible on the fasting blood glucose levels and showed no impact on the HbA1c. So it isnt clear exactly what it is doing. It definitely isnt a miracle cure but is nice on porridge in the morning instead of sugar

Last edited by a moderator:

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you actually getting enough calories? If you cut down your carbs you need to replace some of the lost calories with either protein or fat. That could be the reason you have stopped having your period.

This is what one of the GPs said - and this could also explain the effortless weight loss, although I have been normal weight to start with, and my hunger pangs that lead to my recent cheese and nut binges. I had a 'big' lunch today, but in retrospect I realised that one large courgette made up most of it - and provided just about 60 calories or so. Add two eggs (200 cals), some meat (100 cals) + some oil and butter (200 max). We get to 560, which is basically the amount I had trained off just before in the gym :rolleyes:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yep been there. I ended up eating lots more nuts to provide me with the extra calories. You do not need to eat many to increase calorie intake substantially

Reactions: 2 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yep been there. I ended up eating lots more nuts to provide me with the extra calories. You do not need to eat many to increase calorie intake substantially

I believe it. I am still trying to find that healthy middle ground ;)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I recently posted a page with a number of recipes I use on a very regular basis. I had diabetes, lost over 115lbs and am now off medication. Have been for over three years.
I noticed from that posting that there seemed to be some misconceptions about carbohydrates.
We often hear that people with diabetes need to avoid carbohydrates, and it an extent this is true; however, not all carbohydrates are the same and almost any nutritionist will acknowledge this.
Simple carbs are bad for anyone. Simple carbs, such as sugar, corn syrup, pastries, etc., can be deadly for some.
On the other hand almost all of us need more carbohydrates in the form of fiber and some of us can use more of the very complex carbohydrates, such as raw vegetables or old-fashioned rolled oats (I like them not cooked but just in a smoothie).
I'm absolutely not telling anyone who has been told to limit carbs to start eating carbs. I would suggest you understand the difference between one carb and another and their glycemic index and the importance of certain kinds of carbs for overall health.
I've posted a number of links to information on carbs here:

http://diabetesanddiabetesprevention.blogspot.com/

My recipes as well as my transformation video are here:

http://quickhealthymealsonabudget.blogspot.com/
On the other hand, I don't seem to need any carbohydrate or fibre. I function perfectly well without them.
I think the case for fibre being healthy for humans is vastly over stated.

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the other hand, I don't seem to need any carbohydrate or fibre. I function perfectly well without them.
I think the case for fibre being healthy for humans is vastly over stated.
Are you saying you eat absolutely no fruit, vegetables, or grains?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you saying you eat absolutely no fruit, vegetables, or grains?
Hi
I, because of my condition have to be in permanent ketosis, unless I want my health to deteriorate. I eat small pieces of fruit throughout the day, I eat salad veg a lot, I cannot tolerate grains, they are poisonous to me!
Potatoes are balls of glucose, I very low carb and eat and cook with animal fats.
My health has improved dramatically. All my vital signs are in the normal range.
I am as fit and healthy as I could be.
But if I eat carbs at all, then weight goes up, I feel dreadful because of hypos and wildly fluctuating blood glucose levels.
Yes it is possible to live a normal life without even complex carbs!
Oh yeah! I don't need supplements, I just add a little salt to my meals!

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi
I, because of my condition have to be in permanent ketosis, unless I want my health to deteriorate. I eat small pieces of fruit throughout the day, I eat salad veg a lot, I cannot tolerate grains, they are poisonous to me!
Potatoes are balls of glucose, I very low carb and eat and cook with animal fats.
My health has improved dramatically. All my vital signs are in the normal range.
I am as fit and healthy as I could be.
But if I eat carbs at all, then weight goes up, I feel dreadful because of hypos and wildly fluctuating blood glucose levels.
Yes it is possible to live a normal life without even complex carbs!
Oh yeah! I don't need supplements, I just add a little salt to my meals!

Very similar to above. Carbs in heavy forms (potatoes, bread, rice, pasta) cause me horrendous problems.

I eat mainly oily fish or white fish with salads. I do eat a small qty of fruit eat day with flax and chia seed and nuts. Even peanuts play havoc with my bloods though. So those are off limits.

I have to be careful with the amount of fibre I eat and what source the fibre comes from.
When people suffer from slow colonic transit then some consultants recomend fibre and some don't... So its always going to be difficult as we are all so different.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Apparently not.
And on a pure 100% protein diet.
Thanks for answering for me, but no, not a 100% pure protein diet. Just meat (mostly beef ribeye)and eggs.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'd sure be concerned about long term health...but to each his/her own.
Plants aren't particularly healthful for humans, although it's possible to survive on them.