Lancet and strips

Shimmy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am type 2 controlled by Glicrazide and Sitagliptin. I went through a spell where my glucose readings where around 12 each morning. I made some adjustment to my diet, mainly stopping eating bread as a comfort food and keeping an eye on things by checking my levels a couple of times a week. I m now around 5.5
Last week I tried to get a prescription for more strips an lancets but was refused because I am not on insulin. Is this normal these days?

Thanks to anyone reading this

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes UK will send you an advocacy pack to help you get them from your GP or you can read it online.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
T2s who are on insulin-promoting drugs have an even stronger case for getting free test strips because they need to check for hypos, especially before driving.

Reactions: 2 people

Shimmy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the useful information, obviously the NHS does not realise that by self testing we are able to closely monitor our blood sugars and when we see a change reflect on what may be the cause. Could be our short term diet lack of exercise etc. Armed with the information we can make adjustments. I will purchase strips and lancets when my stock runs out but some people could perhaps not afford the expense. Once again thanks a lot