Anonymous Question Metformin + The bedroom...

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Anonymous question submitted:

Have other women found problems with Metformin and orgasm? I've found it very difficult to reach orgasm since starting Metformin several years ago. I stopped taking Metformin about a month ago (thanks to LCHF) and suddenly things are fine again. I don't think this is down to my improved blood sugars as I didn't have the problem when my bloods were at their very worst, before the Metformin was prescribed. I've googled this but there isn't a lot of info out there.

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I don't have anything to add as I haven't noticed anything one way or the other with metformin. But I think it's good to talk about this issue. Usually it is high BGs, neuropathy and microvascular damage than can cause sexual dysfunction in men and women. A good incentive to do everything we can to keep our BGs in the normal range.

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Metformin for about almost a year and I never noticed any difference.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
A very interesting question. And I thank you for raising it. However, It would be difficult for many members to respond giving their own experience if it was similar to your own. The questioner may be anonymous, but the person answering is not. That would be enough for me to keep intimate information to myself.

I'm glad that you shared your own personal experience though. I suspect many Diabetic men & women suffer sexually related difficulties which they do not share, even with their own GP. I'm sure you raising this subject will be a comfort to some women on the forum who are experiencing the problems you describe, but weren't aware of the possible association with medication. Perhaps it may prompt them to seek some advice now.

Best wishes. And here's hoping the good times continue!

Gopal Sharma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am taking metformin and I feel that somehow it effects the sexual life. In males erectile dysfunction is noticed.
Oral insulin or injections seem better alternate for sexual life.
If both partners are diabetic than it ruins the whole enjoyment

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've not heard of Metformin causing sexual dysfunction and the max dose I was on didn't make any difference.