Be well, little bruv

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, he says thanks but no thanks. At least he now knows his HbA1c is 48, same as mine, but he is on metformin. He told me he sees no point in worrying when he feels well and has "no obvious symptoms". He has been told his BS will go up in time and he has decided there is nothing to be done about it.
I can see his point of view, especially since he has glaucoma and now cataracts to think about, as well as a new grand-daughter and other family matters.
I'm grateful for your thoughts, and we'll still be here if he changes his mind.
Sounds as if he has a lot on his plate. You'll be watching for him, I'm sure.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, he says thanks but no thanks. At least he now knows his HbA1c is 48, same as mine, but he is on metformin. He told me he sees no point in worrying when he feels well and has "no obvious symptoms". He has been told his BS will go up in time and he has decided there is nothing to be done about it.
I can see his point of view, especially since he has glaucoma and now cataracts to think about, as well as a new grand-daughter and other family matters.
I'm grateful for your thoughts, and we'll still be here if he changes his mind.

So you take great care of your diet. Your brother cuts back on the obvious, but enjoys his food and frees up capacity for his family.... And you have the same Hba1c! Interesting!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank heaven for the Guardian newspaper! My bro has read an article which says diabetics are all different and therefore we should test our own blood sugar regularly!
So he's got a meter and discovered by testing before and after meals that he can't eat bread -- not even his home-made bricks without salt or sugar. Rice and pasta seem to be ok. He's trying not to rise above 7.
Small steps but in the right direction.
I'll rummage in the Guardian archives and see if I can find that article.

Reactions: 21 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is wonderful news!

Good for The Guardian AND your brother for taking notice.

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well its great to hear that he now has a meter and is testing. My father has been a pre-diabetic for about 3 yrs now and my brother has just been diagnosed pre-diabetic as well and no matter what you tell them they carry on as usual.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thank heaven for the Guardian newspaper! My bro has read an article which says diabetics are all different and therefore we should test our own blood sugar regularly!
So he's got a meter and discovered by testing before and after meals that he can't eat bread -- not even his home-made bricks without salt or sugar. Rice and pasta seem to be ok. He's trying not to rise above 7.
Small steps but in the right direction.
I'll rummage in the Guardian archives and see if I can find that article.
That is a huge leap forward for him. I think your previous efforts may have planted a seed. You did the right thing by taking it quietly with him.

I think if a person is not overweight and they have no health issues that appear diabetes-related, they are more likely to ignore advice to manage their blood sugars to stop progression. Probably the only reason I became interested is because I was obese and had recurrent infections that I knew were diabetes related. So for me the incentive was there. I think to some people it doesn't seem important or urgent... until it is. :(

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And now ... my bro is testing assiduously. The first thing to go was conventional bread and I've alerted him to Lidl HP rolls and Livlife. And then he gave up beer. When I see him at Christmas I'll ask him about his BS levels.
Meantime he and his wife are quizzing me in detail about what I would like to eat when we go there on Boxing Day. I think the right information a little at a time enables them to digest it.
I haven't got him a book yet :( but he seems to be more interested in what happens to me.
Btw his glaucoma op went well and his sight in that eye is improving. The other eye will be done in due course.
I'm very pleased, so thanks again.

Reactions: 14 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And now ... my bro is testing assiduously. The first thing to go was conventional bread and I've alerted him to Lidl HP rolls and Livlife. And then he gave up beer. When I see him at Christmas I'll ask him about his BS levels.
Meantime he and his wife are quizzing me in detail about what I would like to eat when we go there on Boxing Day. I think the right information a little at a time enables them to digest it.
I haven't got him a book yet :( but he seems to be more interested in what happens to me.
Btw his glaucoma op went well and his sight in that eye is improving. The other eye will be done in due course.
I'm very pleased, so thanks again.
Really good to hear about the testing, well done to you.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I found the article, ironically by the former CEO of the NHS
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/16/diabetes-me-nhs-chief-david-nicholson
I suppose it's a start, in that he tests himself, but it's still the NHS healthy-plate. I wonder if he has private health care?
I have read that before. It is a good article except that he repeats the common mantra of the media that Type 2 is associated with lifestyle and obesity. I had a Xmas drink with a friend last night and had to explain that I was only drinking half pints of bitter because I had recently been diagnosed as diabetic. He repeated the mantra that it was due to lifestyle and being overweight and I had to put him right.