First Time Testing

teoni

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried my meter for the first time. Is a reading of 8.5 2hrs after eating a chicken sandwich too high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, yes that is a bit too high for a pre-diabetic. It will have been the bread that did it. What type was it, and how many slices?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Also a good idea to test before a meal and 2 hours after it, so you know how big the rise was. Ideally blood sugar should be kept under 7.8.

teoni

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies, the sandwich was made from 2slices white farmhouse. maybe I should avoid this in future. I did a fasting test which was 5.1 had breakfast shredded wheat with blueberries, tested after 1hr, 8.1 and again after another hr 4.6

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your latest results before and after breakfast are fine. 5.1 fasting is very good, everyone eating shredded wheat with blueberries can expect a big spike at an hour. The secret is to be back down again (or as near as dammit) by about 2 hours. You did this, so that is also excellent.

Yes, it looks like your white bread needs to be avoided in future. Try a wholemeal with loads of seeds in it. There are low carb breads on the market. Bergen is sold in all supermarkets, Waitrose do one called Livelife, and Lidl do delicious high protein rolls that are very low carb.

Have you been told about the role of carbs in controlling diabetes? All carbs turn to glucose once in the system, so it makes sense not to eat too many. All bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals are the main culprits, and diabetics also need to be careful with milk and fruit. If you want to avoid developing full blown diabetes, perhaps you should review your whole diet and seriously reduce/avoid these major carbs.

teoni

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your latest results before and after breakfast are fine. 5.1 fasting is very good, everyone eating shredded wheat with blueberries can expect a big spike at an hour. The secret is to be back down again (or as near as dammit) by about 2 hours. You did this, so that is also excellent.

Yes, it looks like your white bread needs to be avoided in future. Try a wholemeal with loads of seeds in it. There are low carb breads on the market. Bergen is sold in all supermarkets, Waitrose do one called Livelife, and Lidl do delicious high protein rolls that are very low carb.

Have you been told about the role of carbs in controlling diabetes? All carbs turn to glucose once in the system, so it makes sense not to eat too many. All bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals are the main culprits, and diabetics also need to be careful with milk and fruit. If you want to avoid developing full blown diabetes, perhaps you should review your whole diet and seriously reduce/avoid these major carbs.

I was hoping the shredded wheat wouldn't cause too much of a problem as it's my favourite breakfast, can see now that I was wrong.Still getting to grips with this low carb diet. I tried wholemeal seeded bread and after 2 hrs my reading was 9.8, back down to 5.7 4hrs later. Shall be off to Waitrose to buy some Livelife later on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Libbaloo

As I am discovering, (having joined as a Pre-D in the last two weeks), the start involves some giving up and some taking on and a set up shopping trip, with regular, planned trips to stock up on the basics. For me this followed reading up on the basics of a 'low carb and higher fat' lifestyle through this forum. Saying goodbye to bread, rice, pasta and cereals is a major step and working things out with some trial and error is the way forward in the early days. It seems to need a different mindset and embracing new ways of choosing and enjoying food. I have found I am less likely to snack now that I am being more intentional about reducing carbs and increasing fats.. The increased fat intake is weird but I see my appetite satisfied with the fat instead of carb intake. Glancing at your food choices, the white bread, and shredded wheat with milk stands out.. even though I am only a novice! Lidl is a good place to shop - the protein rolls are great if you still want to eat something bread like and they do some good tasting full fat Greek yoghurt you could mix with the blueberries. I like egg and bacon most mornings, but another option is a serving of blueberries with FF Greek yoghurt and a tablespoon of Linwoods milled flaxseed adds fibre and texture all mixed together... oh.. and I eat it slowly with a teaspoon! That way I savour every mouthful. I used to help myself to fruit from the fruit bowl but that is less appealing now I know that it is better to enjoy berries in a bowl with some yoghurt to blunt the spike it might produce. It is a controlled approach as I set off and try all this out. Its enough to cope with as the major starches are cut out and whilst I still feed the family.
Keep going! It is worth it. I see my early morning fast and pre meal BG levels settling more into the 5's from the 6's and my weight is coming down little by little if I control portions and balance and walk the dog a bit faster!. A pre meal test and then a follow up 2 hours later works for me. The changes we make now are significant for the long term. :)

Reactions: 4 people