HBAIC

willow56

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a blood fasting blood glucose done at my GP surgery which had a result of 6mmol. My HBa1c was 38. Is this a precursor to diabetes?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a blood fasting blood glucose done at my GP surgery which had a result of 6mmol. My HBa1c was 38. Is this a precursor to diabetes?
It might be. 6 mmol is close to prediabetic at 6.1 and some think the prediabetic threshold should be 5.6. Your HbA1c isn't bad though but mine is better at 33 and I am diabetic. On LCHF.

Keep an eye on your BG and maybe change your diet.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It's at the high end of normal, and not far away from being pre-diabetes. I would reduce the carbs I'm eating and get it checked at least every 6 months. A good target is early 30s. I went through a process of being told it was 38, then pre-diabetic at 43, then 47, then diabetic at 54 etc etc, all the while not realising what was happening. The earlier you stop this trend the better.