Variable hypos

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Do any of you people have variable hypos sometimes? Usually they are typical for me, with the symptoms you read in literature or here: dizzy, tremor, anxiety, tachycardia, cognitive loss, hunger, etc. But, sometimes, more rarely as yesterday, I became very sleepy and not mentally sharp. I had to be in bed for most of the afternoon. Trying to find the cause, i searched a Gastrolyte powder in the morning, a very small lunch, exercise, and so I took a number which was very low. So, I thought that must be the cause and after eating a lot I felt better reaching a normal number. It takes a while to reverse it but that was it and it too has more pleasant symptoms. It was a waste of a day. But the difference between one hypo and another is mysterious.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been to hypo hell and yes it varies from day to day, from one extreme to the other. Sleepy one minute, angry the next, my list of symptoms at that time was a foolscap sheet long!
I fell into the pit that was no hypo awareness!

I notice you are still taking glucose lowering meds (glicizide). Surely your hba1c is low enough now, to not need them! Just an opinion!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I've been to hypo hell and yes it varies from day to day, from one extreme to the other. Sleepy one minute, angry the next, my list of symptoms at that time was a foolscap sheet long!
I fell into the pit that was no hypo awareness!

I notice you are still taking glucose lowering meds (glicizide). Surely your hba1c is low enough now, to not need them! Just an opinion!

Thanks Nosher. Maybe endocrinologists rather than Big Pharma understand the effects of hypos. Now atfer 5 yrs of Diabetes 2 I gradually became unaware, but that is not a good thing, because you have to rush to your meter before you become too hypoglycymic (esp. the heart).. And yes. all the salfonureas have the hypo effect. But maybe not taking them is worse?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Nosher. Maybe endocrinologists rather than Big Pharma understand the effects of hypos. Now atfer 5 yrs of Diabetes 2 I gradually became unaware, but that is not a good thing, because you have to rush to your meter before you become too hypoglycymic (esp. the heart).. And yes. all the salfonureas have the hypo effect. But maybe not taking them is worse?
Not if you are in control of your bloods!
I have to keep control by my lifestyle(diet).
I would have a word with your GP or dsn, to have a trial period, especially if you are low carbing.
Once you keep your bloods in near normal range, the less hypos you have the more hypo aware you become!