DLA for adults

mrs love

Hi
I have been getting DLA for 9 years now ( had to renew it 3 years ag and it went to the appeal).
Now they have stopped it again saying my fits arent as frequent enough, even though i dont get any warning signs when i have a hypo and when i do it takes me a full week to get back to normal. My husband gave up work to become my carer after i had a hypo and blacked both eyes after falling off a chair.
Had any one got any tips as to how to either appeal or to get a job ( will anyone willingly employ me if they know i dont have waring signs?)
Often the most vocal are ignorant of what life is really like for many, wish people would understand sometimes what living with diabetes is really like when there are no warning signs.
I have two diabetic children too!!
:)

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Use google and search for your local DIAL [Disability Information Advice Line] they helped me deal with another benefits appeal successfully.

Jim

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
If i was you i would keep the appeal going if you have proof from diabetic nurses and consultants use that as well (i.e letters) get as much evidence as you can. If you have lost your awareness and your husband is your carer than it obvious that you need the help, i also have lost all awareness of hypos and have many hypos a week after trying everything, my husband became my full time carer 5 years ago and i also recieve DLA first of all i had to appeal and was given it for 3 years then when i re-applied i sent in letters and print off of 3 months sugar levels from my blood glucose machine, and i was given it again. I know now with all these reforms the goverment are doing they are making things tougher for people, but if you prove to them that you need it they can't really argue with it. I heard ages ago they they usually refuse everyone first to see if people are serious as if they are not then they would'nt go through the appeal process.

good luck

tracey167

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely go to appeal. There should be local charities or your local Citizen's Advice Bureau that can help you go through the process. They are experts at doing it and should be able to realyl help you.

They are making a lot of cuts at the moment and people who DO qualify for benefits are being told they DON'T and many are just giving up... however many people also appeal and with no extra evidence to support their claim, the decision gets overturned.

From what you've said and from what i know about DLA having been applying/reapplying for many years, I would say you should qualify for the benefits so it's worth trying again.

Good luck! They never make it easy!

mrs love

Hi
Had a huge row with my diabetic doctorabout my weight and ended walking out on him so i know he wont write me a letter because he was so horrid he made me cry. ( letter of complaint going his way), so rang a diabetic nurse who said she agreed with their descision, because the letter states i dont get frequent enough hypos, ( i get one severe one about every 4-6 months and loads of little ones every week). So im at a loss as who and what to do. As it is they are starting to cut benifits down to the bare minimum and are now charging people Council tax, whether ur on benifits or not.
I dont mind going to work but like i sid before if someone will employ me with my medical conditions!!! :evil:

neilrollo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
just been advised by citizen advice to claim personal independent payment. has any member claimed it and now receive this payment

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can appeal against the decision. It sometimes takes a whole. If your gp won't help ask to be referred to a consultant at the hospital. They might be more inclined to help. And I think I would be changing my gp.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
New official figures show that the government contractor Atos Healthcare is 50 times more likely to recommend wrongly that someone is "fit for work" than it is to make an error in finding someone not fit for work.
The government statistics are the firmest evidence yet that Atos is doing all it can to find as many disabled people "fit for work" as possible.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ne...ongest-evidence-yet-of-atos-bias-members-only

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DLA isn't about ability to work - it's for people who need Care from another person eg continual supervsion day and / or night (Middle Rate for day OR night, Higher Rate for both); and / or Mobility - Low Rate for guidance / supervision; High Rate if unable or virtually unable to walk. Basically, it's about situation "most of the time", so frequency of hypoglycaemia is relevant.

DLA for adults is being replaced by PIP (Personal Independence Payment).

ESA (Employment & Support Allowance) is a work income replacement benefit.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been T1 diabetic for over 30 years now and my hubby had to give up work and become my full time carer as i also have lost all my hypo awareness and my hypos are so erratic even the consultants cant work out whats going on because i have a tight control, i have lowered my insulin from 1-1 then to 0.8-1 and now 0.7 to 10 grammes of carbs it seems to level out for a few week then the hypos return. I have been recieving DLA for about 8 years now and i send in every single piece of evidence to back up my claim from 12 week blood glucose print out to doctors and nurses letters. You need to really put your point across usually having to repeat yourself a few times.

good luck

tracey167

jinty1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people telling lies i hate spiders.
just been advised by citizen advice to claim personal independent payment. has any member claimed it and now receive this payment
Hi there I get this,think its an extra £55 to £60 per week, if you live alone, I got it backdated and been on it for4 years, you should go to citizens advice get them to do the form for you.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Definitely appeal the decision and see if you can get your GP/consultant involved too if possible or at least mention on your appeal application that they are welcome to consult your care team for conformation of your current situation/condition.

Good luck

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit of confusion in last couple of posts. DLA is being replaced by PIP [Personal Independence Payment] for adults. In most palces you can no longer apply for DLA, although exisiting DLA awards will continue until eventually people are instructed to apply for new award - they are different, so there's no automatic equivalence between levels, especially as PIP has just 2 care levels, while DLA has 3 care levels. Any backdating is back to date of application - if it takes years from application to eventually getting an award at tribunal, then you'll get a backpayment.

martin4now

Dr Mrs Love, I get DLA they threatened to take it away I have type1 Diabetes plus I am Disabled. This happened when I changed to the PIP Allowance So I got in touch with my Doctor who wrote a letter they then still decided to stop my allowance even though I had been on DVLA for 20years. So I got onto my local MP within 24 hours it had been reversed with another medical due in 3 years since then I have got worce So hopefully in 3 years time I hopefully will not have this problem. My Advice is speak to your MP it's the Government that want anyone they can of benefits to save money but use your MP and get your Dr to write a letter it usually costs £10.00 take a few copies send one to the Social dealing with your claim Speak to your MP and also send him a copy and tell him your situation. You may find not only do you get it back but also it will be backdated. Yours Martin

Olaf-Jensen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New official figures show that the government contractor Atos Healthcare is 50 times more likely to recommend wrongly that someone is "fit for work" than it is to make an error in finding someone not fit for work.
The government statistics are the firmest evidence yet that Atos is doing all it can to find as many disabled people "fit for work" as possible.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ne...ongest-evidence-yet-of-atos-bias-members-only
There is a doc on channel 4 i think where a doctor went to work for ATOS. Recommended viewing. I think they were pushed to a 80% failure rate. This doctor was pressed on from above for upholding claims

Bernie 59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have been getting DLA for 9 years now ( had to renew it 3 years ag and it went to the appeal).
Now they have stopped it again saying my fits arent as frequent enough, even though i dont get any warning signs when i have a hypo and when i do it takes me a full week to get back to normal. My husband gave up work to become my carer after i had a hypo and blacked both eyes after falling off a chair.
Had any one got any tips as to how to either appeal or to get a job ( will anyone willingly employ me if they know i dont have waring signs?)
Often the most vocal are ignorant of what life is really like for many, wish people would understand sometimes what living with diabetes is really like when there are no warning signs.

Bernie 59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Get in touch with your local health practice and also your jobcentre plus or the likes and both of these places with keep you right.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Get in touch with your local health practice and also your jobcentre plus or the likes and both of these places with keep you right.
The op started this thread 2 years ago, so info not relevant now.