7 weeks back at work

Holly1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, thank you all soooooo much for your help when I first left hospital. For those that do t know me I'm a 40 year old who has just been diagnosed with type 1. My question is..... Sorry to be a pain. I went back to work just over a week ago and I'm not sure if this is the reason why what keeps happening. I'll explain. What dropping off to sleep ( it's happened 3 times this week) I feel my heart pounding out of my chest. Check my blood levels and they have been 1.1, 2.3 and 3.1. I've taken my sugar on board and feel better pretty soon but I'm then worried to fall back to sleep. I think my question is..... What happens if you fall that low whilst asleep??? Thanks for reading xxxxxx

Dacuslive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's always good to have something with a slow release energy like weetabix or ready Brek if you have had a low at bed time. Your body does store reserves so if your levels do drop whilst asleep normally you will not know much about it until the morning, if you wake up with headaches that is normally a sign of a low during the night. In the early days of diabetes your body is very good at letting you know your low, sweating, shaking, heart pounding all good early signs. Try and always have something to eat before bed like a brown bread sandwich, a healthy cereal something not to sweet but with a nice bit of carbs. I hate waking up with low bloods it can mess up your whole morning routine so do your best to avoid going to sleep low :) you will get the hang of it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your more active at work then you are at home then you need to review your insulin doses to prevent the hypo's, ring your DSN in the morning and ask for guidance.

Reactions: 5 people

Holly1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi nobelhead have done that and they just keep saying it's the honeymoon period. Xxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi nobelhead have done that and they just keep saying it's the honeymoon period. Xxx

Well they are right and certainly the Honeymoon Period can make bg levels less predictable, you could try adding some carby snacks between meals to prevent your bg running low.

Holly1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told to just eat 3 square meals a day. Take my novo rapid for that and BG insulin twice a day 14 morning and night. Also been told not to come on here!!! lol xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been told to just eat 3 square meals a day. Take my novo rapid for that and BG insulin twice a day 14 morning and night. Also been told not to come on here!!! lol xx

Great :)

I'd ring them again and mention your hypo's, levels like 1.1 & 2.1 would wash anyone out and make them sleepy.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Them telling you not to come on here is defensive and a little paternalistic IMO. They should be so sure of their skills and knowledge that they don't need to be defensive, and so respectful of you as a competent adult that they trust you to make good decisions for your body, and to ask them if it's a major issue and you're unsure. I really dislike medical paternalism.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
Hi, hope you feel a little better now. I suffered from lots of night time hypos in the honeymoon phase just wished my pancreas worked a little through the day aswell. While asleep if you hypo your body will dump a load of glucose into your blood and when you wake up you will probably have a headache .This site is a wealth of knowledge and experience from people who suffer from and control all forms of diabetes and complications. Has your diabetic nurse tried explaining carb counting to you?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Holly - you would most likely wake from a hypo, I tend to find that I have very vivid dreams before waking from a hypo and wake shaking and sweating, I keep glucogel in my bedside drawer and would take this before testing as it's more important to have the glucose than test if waking in the night.

My DSN was of the mindset that night time hypos were to be avoided at all costs, so immediate action needs to be taken so this doesn't happen to you - and yes they should give you appropriate insulin advice to stop this from happening.

Using a forum for support is your decision not theirs, if you wish to talk to others in the same boat then great, but I would question anyone's intentions if they couldn't see the value in gaining support through a forum as well as helping to improve your knowledge.

Good luck - hope you get this sorted soon ;)

Reactions: 2 people