Can someone help?

cait 57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cait 57 here. Not sure if writing in the correct place but am sure someone will advise me if not! I am mid 50s and young at heart diagnosed type 1 3 years ago. Have seen at first hand the complications diabetes can bring so am doing my best to manage my blood sugar. 3 siblings diagnosed as young people with a range of issues including chronic kidney disease, blindness and foot problems. My worry is good results during the day but high in the morning and clinic seems to think this is not an issue but it is for me! I am using trial and error to work out what is going on but it's a slog. Cholesterol is 5.1 and they want me to start on statins. Am not keen and my diet is pretty good so not much I can do around diet to reduce my levels. Any advice?

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin regime are you on? Basal bolus? If so it's likely you need to increase your basal amount I was always having the same problem and increased it and it did help, or you may need to split the dose to two injections.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @cait 57 , do you mean your high on waking or as the morning progresses?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi Cait 57 here. Not sure if writing in the correct place but am sure someone will advise me if not! I am mid 50s and young at heart diagnosed type 1 3 years ago. Have seen at first hand the complications diabetes can bring so am doing my best to manage my blood sugar. 3 siblings diagnosed as young people with a range of issues including chronic kidney disease, blindness and foot problems. My worry is good results during the day but high in the morning and clinic seems to think this is not an issue but it is for me! I am using trial and error to work out what is going on but it's a slog. Cholesterol is 5.1 and they want me to start on statins. Am not keen and my diet is pretty good so not much I can do around diet to reduce my levels. Any advice?
Do you happen to know what your individual cholesterol results were? As the total cholesterol number is fairly meaningless on its own. The individual results are your HDL, LDL and triglycerides.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Give us some numbers for the day, including when you wake? Sounds like the Dawn Phenomenon. If you have a bad case of DP as many of us do, then rather than fiddling with overnight basal, it might be better to take a correction dose on waking.

But to plan anything like that, you'll need to test very thoroughly for two or three days and look at all the numbers. Thoroughly = on waking; before meals, meal + 1 hr, + 2 hrs; in any gaps if weird things are happening.

I take 1u or sometimes 0.5 correction dose when I wake up, because my overnight basal is great but my liver greets the dawn by saying, Oops, Lucy needs some energy and dumps glucose on me. It's sweet really. But if I don't, very hard to stop the rising.

That's just a personal example - you'll have to check it all out.

It sounds as if you are going to take better care of your health than your advisors. You will have a better grasp of how your insulin metabolism works. Lots of us work think it's worth working quite hard to keep sugars below a certain level.

As you're a late-onset type 1, why not head over to the LADA forum. You'll find lots of others with similar stories.

Lucy

PS You'll also see many of us weighing up the cholesterol/statins issue. Have a read.

Last edited by a moderator:

cait 57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. On lantus and apidra and high on waking. Am working through the forum threads and am finding the information useful. Cait