Don't Try This At Home !

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been reading posts by forum members, talking about bread rolls and toast which I couldn't possibly eat. Between 2007 and 2010 I did Low GI, and I've been LCHF since then and organic since 2012. I don't eat processed food, root veg, baked goods, bread, rice, pasta, sweets, soft drinks, ketchup etc.

You know that HbA1c indicator chart that goes from green to red? At 13% my diagnosis HbA1c was off the chart. These days my HbA1c hovers between non-diabetic and pre-diabetes.

I decided to eat a very small 'fun' size organic banana. BG hit 8.5 one hour afterwards and was down to 7.7 at two hours.

My second experiment, on Monday, was to eat a bag of salted popcorn. Stupidly, I forgot that a banana would be mostly fructose and probably zero protein. Popcorn has the double whammy of high carb and just 1 cup has as much protein as a steak, allegedly.

Very bad idea, since my BG hit 18, which I haven't had since 2007. At two hours, it was 15.1 and it stayed above 10 until today.

I don't know what I've learned other than I can never eat popcorn again.

I've also had headaches, knee aches, wheeziness, sore eyes, tight chest and been very dehydrated.

It has showed me, that I would be in a very bad way and most likely on insulin, if I hadn't worked so hard on diet. It shows me, that getting non-diabetic numbers is only controlling the symptoms, not curing the disease.

Now that my BG is dropping back, I feel more relaxed but I very nearly had a meltdown in the Homebase car park.

Reactions: 23 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading posts by forum members, talking about bread rolls and toast which I couldn't possibly eat. Between 2007 and 2010 I did Low GI, and I've been LCHF since then and organic since 2012. I don't eat processed food, root veg, baked goods, bread, rice, pasta, sweets, soft drinks, ketchup etc.

You know that HbA1c indicator chart that goes from green to red? At 13% my diagnosis HbA1c was off the chart. These days my HbA1c hovers between non-diabetic and pre-diabetes.

I decided to eat a very small 'fun' size organic banana. BG hit 8.5 one hour afterwards and was down to 7.7 at two hours.

My second experiment, on Monday, was to eat a bag of salted popcorn. Stupidly, I forgot that a banana would be mostly fructose and probably zero protein. Popcorn has the double whammy of high carb and just 1 cup has as much protein as a steak, allegedly.

Very bad idea, since my BG hit 18, which I haven't had since 2007. At two hours, it was 15.1 and it stayed above 10 until today.

I've also had headaches, knee aches, wheeziness, sore eyes, tight chest and been very dehydrated.

It has showed me, that I would be in a very bad way and most likely on insulin, if I hadn't worked so hard on diet. It shows me, that getting non-diabetic numbers is only controlling the symptoms, not curing the disease.

Now that my BG is dropping back, I feel more relaxed but I very nearly had a meltdown in the Homebase car park.
We maybe think we can beat it but at best we can only control it. I tried the experiments too and found pretty much the same...you can't kid your pancreas.....it knows the score and the best we can do is accept our lot and do the best we can to keep the little beggar under control the best way we can. Back to the way that works for you I would think ;) As for the bread...I, and a fair few others seem able to tolerate Lidl High protein rolls but maybe not a good idea for you or maybe worth a try? Brave experiments by the way but the lessons are well and truly learned I think...sad but true...we can't cure it but we can sure as heck show it who is boss :)

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry!
Too late!

Only joking!

Once you have realised that you have to do something to keep control and be healthy.
Then you will gain the knowledge that low carb lifestyle is the only option for some diabetics.

Then you may understand why I find it amazing since you feel so healthy that some want to return to their previous way of eating!

Reactions: 10 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My tastebuds have become so much more sensitive to sweet and salt since going organic, that there's a whole long list of things which I just wouldn't contemplate eating, even if a miracle happened and I was cured.

Cauliflower rice is fine, as a variant of cauliflower, but not as good as rice with Thai, Indian, Chinese, Nepalese etc. I miss rice and I miss popcorn.

I wasn't eating a load of junk, we cook from scratch, but we did like to cook Eastern and Italian dishes.

Reactions: 6 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
And off we go into our carbless futures. Mine won't have any beer in it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you go shopping and plan your meals, (mine eight a day!).
The things you don't have you don't miss!

You look forward to preparing and eating something that you have cooked!

And this comes from a man who couldn't cook water!

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried bare naked products as we're on dragons den? Rice and noodles,0.1 per 100g!

Reactions: 4 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I nearly broke-down last night when I cooked the tribe Toad in the Hole, I made and ate my meal before dishing up theirs and went off in the t.v room out of temptations way while they ate it. Did I forget to mention, I love Toad in the Hole?

@Celeriac admire you for experimenting. I'm also green with envy when I read other diabetics eating bread and other items that are now forbidden / banned from my edible list but, not from memory.

The only bread I let my tears flow into and find consolation in is Paleo bread http://elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/ - its taste and texture is more like cake, especially when you put blueberries in it. :D

Reactions: 11 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
why not try to make the batter with almond flour. Do a few experiments and you get your toad in the hole back

I am sorry celeriac that you found that you were unable to handle a small amount of carbs. Just remember we are not all the same all the time. Maybe in a year try again and see if you get a different result. If you dont then you know that it is unlikely to change but if you do you will know that your insulin resistance may be improving.

By the way that banana response was vary typical for a person on a low carb diet. I am extremely surprised at the popcorn response.

Interestingly for me I find that when I am on higher carbs I get dry eyes even though my BG levels are well under 8. I think my body is extremely sensitive to insulin and bg levels nowadays. from cold and rubber fingers and toes when I have bg in low 5s and below to dry itchy eyes and hot fingers and toes when my bg levels are above low 7s. I can also feel a glucogen release after a low as I get this wave of heat roll through my body (mainly downwards).

You may find you are dehydrated because you are storing the glucogen so you need the water, although going to 18 (depending on length of time) may have caused your kidneys to start flushing.

popcorn
61% carb, 11% protein, 4% fat

That is a pretty big carb hit....

Reactions: 8 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Yep!

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My tastebuds have become so much more sensitive to sweet and salt since going organic, that there's a whole long list of things which I just wouldn't contemplate eating, even if a miracle happened and I was cured.

Cauliflower rice is fine, as a variant of cauliflower, but not as good as rice with Thai, Indian, Chinese, Nepalese etc. I miss rice and I miss popcorn.

I wasn't eating a load of junk, we cook from scratch, but we did like to cook Eastern and Italian dishes.
I don't understand why on LCHF we can't have turnip when it only has 6 carbs per 100?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why on LCHF we can't have turnip when it only has 6 carbs per 100?

It depends on what your meter says. If your blood glucose stays within target, then you can eat anything. But we are all different, and some of us are MUCH more carb sensitive than others.

I'm one of the deprived ones too. I don't get to eat any root veg, or grains, including milk, sweet potatoes and swede... and, like @Celeriac I think I would probably need insulin if I ate anything like the carbs other people talk about.

But there are a lot of unexpected pleasures. It turns out I can guzzle cream with impunity. Coffee with cream has become a daily ritual delight (I have a cafetiere brewing, as I type). I have learned to enjoy 70% choc. And now think the sweet milk choc stuff is disgusting. My knees and hands don't ache. I wake alert and not dopey. My brain works! I thought THAT had died sometime in the 90s.

All in all, I think the trade offs are worth it.

Reactions: 10 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Andrew Colvin Thanks, I did think about using Almond flour to produce an alternative version - It wouldn't be the same, I'd be continually trying to obtain the high rise crispy crust with the softer base - Oh God, I'm dribbling at the thought!! I haven't made a soufflé before, have been thinking about trying to make a fluffy three cheese souffle with almond flour instead of trying to attain an unachievable memory.

@Brunneria Couldn't agree more, celebrate and relish what we can have, make more interesting dishes to compensate for what we have grieved over. If we all lived in the same village we could have a wake for Carb :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Andrew Colvin Thanks, I did think about using Almond flour to produce an alternative version - It wouldn't be the same, I'd be continually trying to obtain the high rise crispy crust with the softer base - Oh God, I'm dribbling at the thought!! I haven't made a soufflé before, have been thinking about trying to make a fluffy three cheese souffle with almond flour instead of trying to attain an unachievable memory.

@Brunneria Couldn't agree more, celebrate and relish what we can have, make more interesting dishes to compensate for what we have grieved over. If we all lived in the same village we could have a wake for Carb :)

I can mainly get gram, chick pea flour, out here, can't really say it's the same, but it seems to work in some savoury things.

Reactions: 3 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: experiments. I had a slice of German Rye bread with my breakfast over the weekend and it had acceptable impacts on my BG. Today I had a slice, slathered in butter with 3 Chipolatas and melted cheese on top, and I had a jump of 2.5 after 1 hour, and 1.5 after 2. I had thought all the fat would have moderated the rise, but the opposite was true.

It's a funny old game.

Reactions: 3 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When using American carb values, bear in mind that some of the names are confusing. Turnips are also called rutabaga in the U.S. and rutabaga translates as swedes (which originated in Sweden as kale crossed with turnips) and in Scotland people call either of them neeps and argue ad infinitum !

The carbs in my diet come from non-root vegetables and dairy ( but not milk). I read on Mark Sisson's blog that Paleo increases insulin resistance but he says that in non-diabetics it is peripheral not physiological.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When using American carb values, bear in mind that some of the names are confusing. Turnips are also called rutabaga in the U.S. and rutabaga translates as swedes (which originated in Sweden as kale crossed with turnips) and in Scotland people call either of them neeps and argue ad infinitum !

The carbs in my diet come from non-root vegetables and dairy ( but not milk). I read on Mark Sisson's blog that Paleo increases insulin resistance but he says that in non-diabetics it is peripheral not physiological.

I think labelling something as Paleo increases insulin resistance is a bit too fluid - yes, there are ingredients which are not suitable for diabetics, you have to cherry pick. Jamie Oliver is not insulin friendly, tweak him here, tweak him there to make him even more cuddlier ;)

While we are on about American vs British food, it is a tradition in the British culture to enjoy a Faggot. We also don't carry our Glucose monitors and medication around in a ***** Pack :D