Lost hypo awareness?!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The only recent insulin I know of is Tresiba. I can't imagine it's the biosimilar glargine that they are referring to, and Toujeo isn't available yet.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only recent insulin I know of is Tresiba. I can't imagine it's the biosimilar glargine that they are referring to, and Toujeo isn't available yet.
The biosimliar glargine is supposed to be cheaper than Lantus, so can't think what else it could be.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its tricky to 'just listen to you doctor' - I would say take what the doctor tells you as a base point on a map where you need to fill in the rest of the route on your on through trial and error.

When i was diagnosed the doctor had me on 17units of lantus because it was what his calculations showed i should be on. I kept going low, and after about 2 weeks of having to eat constantly i start lowering it myself and found that i only needed 10 units!

That means the doctor was off by A LOT.

Point being - You diabetes needs is not something anyone can ever 'look up in a book' or solve based on 'experience'. They can give you a good starting point, but YOU will ALWAYS have to tweak it yourself, or risk being improperly treated since the doctor has no way of knowing EXACTLY how your pancreas is functioning, and everyone is different.

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It last 24hrs so robert72 said it's not Tresiba I've been pretty stable today 8-11 pretty much all day so I'm getting my bolus ratio about right as well, so things are already getting better.

Are you comfortable at raising your morning levemir dose by a 1/2 unit tomorrow perhaps?

Were you okay last night or did you have to eat?

Sorry, I always ask questions. Just wanting to check your current status.

Like others I can't imagine what other insulin is currently available other than tresiba that lasts 24hours and is more expensive.

Personally as a younger person with different activitys etc I would have thought it better to have flexibility with split dosing. Ie Tresiba doses are advised to be only changed every 3days. Levemir (for me) I adjust in yhe morning for my activities on that day. I could not personally cope with tresiba although initially when I went back to Levemir after my pump I thought I would have to have tresiba.

At some point I would advise you look at the link given previously ref basal testing as tjis will enable you to just ensure that if you were too busy to eat or wanted a lie in that your levels would still be good. It would just check then that your bolus doses are good.

Well done by the way.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you comfortable at raising your morning levemir dose by a 1/2 unit tomorrow perhaps?

Well done by the way.

I got the NovoRapid in half unit, I have the pen which is like a fountain pen really, you put the insulin in then inject they may give me one for Levemir if I'm still on it next week. I did have to eat a bit last night, hence why I want to switch to morning injections or have a very small amount of Levemir at night.

Its tricky to 'just listen to you doctor' - I would say take what the doctor tells you as a base point on a map where you need to fill in the rest of the route on your on through trial and error.

When i was diagnosed the doctor had me on 17units of lantus because it was what his calculations showed i should be on. I kept going low, and after about 2 weeks of having to eat constantly i start lowering it myself and found that i only needed 10 units!

That means the doctor was off by A LOT.

Wow that's really scary luckily you're okay now, I remember the first two months were the worst taking so long to check the massive swings. I think the problem with increasing my Levemir was instead of switching to mornings when it would run out about 4pm it would be increased instead....... -_-

I don't think it's Toujeo as I think they said they give it to children, which you shouldn't with that. Really wish I could remember the name of it.

iHs

Toujeo is U300 strength Lantus (Glargine)
Tresiba is U100 or U200 Degludec
Xultophy is Degludec and Victoza combined (Liraglutide)
Abasaglar is a biosimilar of Glargine

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been using Lantus for the last year, and found that i never had it 'run out' and only ever noticed a flat even dispersion over a full 24 hour period.

That is my personal experience with Lantus, it worked great for me, lasted 24 hours full, and was even the entire time - thats all i needed as i dont really have any times for increased or decreased need.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been using Lantus for the last year, and found that i never had it 'run out' and only ever noticed a flat even dispersion over a full 24 hour period.

That is my personal experience with Lantus, it worked great for me, lasted 24 hours full, and was even the entire time - thats all i needed as i dont really have any times for increased or decreased need.

I am considering it, I haven't had any problems with NovoRapid really, not heard of anyone having problems with it. It seems to be the basal insulins people struggle with.