Great British Bake Off - Free from recipes tonight

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Great British Bake Off is doing alternative ingredient and free from baking tonight, could be interesting to see if any of the contestants have had any experience of restricted diet baking before.

From BBC :- From the start of Bake Off, there’s been a small note of disgruntlement amid all the happy cooing and giggling: what about people whose dietary requirements mean they could never enjoy half the creations that form in the hallowed tent? Dismissing gluten-, sugar- or dairy-free baking as a nuisance is easy if you’re lucky enough to eat what you like, but those variations are now part of our cuisine, and GBBO reflects that fact in this episode.

The signature challenge bans white sugar, with one baker going a step further by eliminating flour as well, which surely risks ending up with just an omelette. Then Paul Hollywood demands pittas without gluten, but with fluffy pockets. Finally, in a showstopper round where imaginations run riot and in some cases disappear over the horizon, ice-cream rolls have to be made with coconut milk in lieu of dairy.

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds really interesting. :) I always watch but I do find I need to have an appropriate snack at hand. Tonight might be blueberries. :)

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most disappointing...

Sugar FREE cake my ****...GBBO should be ashamed, Honey IS Sugar, Fruit has Sugar, Agave Syrup is Sugar...

THESE CAKES ARE NOT SUGAR FREE !!!

*this rant has been brought to you by Diabetic Pedants r us.

Reactions: 10 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Typical. I'm getting increasingly angry with recipes in mags etc that think agave, honey, fructose etc aren't sugars. Such ignorance.

Reactions: 8 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Such a waste of opportunity!
Proves that Paul & Mary are thick as P@gsh1t they should have said to them all "Sorry, you haven't fulfilled the brief! Sorry, Nil points !!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should see some of the recipes they put in our national diabetes magazine, they dont have a clue.

MyM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although they kept saying sugar free they did explain that it was only the substitution of refined sugars when setting the challenge.

Reactions: 2 people