Worried wife

Inky0605

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I'm new to the forum and have joined because I'm worried about my T1 husband.

We've been married for ten years and I have been lucky that until Monday, I'd never seen him collapse or become unconscious - only ever low and a bit sweaty / shaky etc.

Regrettably on Monday my husband fainted from a sitting position in the kitchen and was unconscious for about 20-30 seconds. When he came round he displayed all the symptoms I've read about a hypo, confusion, heavy sweat, weak etc but I'm confused about something.

After a few sips of apple juice my husband was violently sick which has never happened before. Once he was comfortable we tested his levels which were actually 14. I remember thinking that he hadn't actually had much juice so I'm very confused.

Surely his levels wouldn't be high so soon after (what I've assumed to be) a hypo?

Or can it spike back up that quickly?

Could it maybe have been a heart attack?

Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated

X

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's all normal. Vomiting and a sharp blood sugar rise after a hypo are caused by the hormone Glucagon which is released to bring the person out of the hypo.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could well have been a severe hypo, but as you say your husband has not had this happen to him before I think its only sensible that he gets checked out by his Dr just to rule out the possibilities of it being heart related. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

Sucre Bleu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, it may well have been a severe hypo, tho jumping from hypo to 14, on just a few sips of juice, then throwing up anyways is curious. Does he normally respond so quickly to hypo treatment?
I think a trip to the doctor is warranted too, It may be high or low blood pressure, easily tested by the Dr.
Maybe he has/had a viral infection or high temperature. It does not sound like a heart attack, but better to be having it checked out!

Reactions: 5 people

Inky0605

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ThAnk you very much all of you.

I will try and get him to see the Dr. He can be a bit stubborn at times but I shall take a stand and make him go.

Apparently he hypo'd last night too in his sleep. I'm fuming with him because I told him he must wake me if he needs to go down stairs in the night. He knows there is lucozade in his bed side table but he's such a stubborn old mule he went downstairs anyway. I know I have to trust his judgement and he's not a child but I was so scared the other night I think I'm turning a bit hen pecky.

I guess I need to find a balance of trusting him but also protecting him.

On a separate note it's just occurred to me the Mondsy hypo might be my fault? I was giving him reflexology for his frozen shoulders because he's in so much pain all the time and doesn't sleep well

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please don't feel to blame for helping. Reflexology and anything else relaxing can have an effect on insulin sensitivity. But really as long as he keeps an eye on his bedtime BG reading he should be fine.

The recurring hypos do suggest that a slight reduction in insulin may be necessary.