Latest HBA1C - stunned!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again everyone. I see my GP on Thursday, I think she's going to faint! She was already amazed at my test in May which came back with 45. I intend to come off all meds and hope she agrees. Maybe Glaswegians don't have a great rep in taking control of their type 2.......

I know that nothing has changed. I got here by diet, exercise and lifestyle, and to stay healthy I have to continue on this path - no slacking! I'm still losing weight though, and I'm about where I want to be, and I haven't worked out how to stabilise without jeopardising the BC control. Maybe I will just let my weight settle where it does. I'm not hungry, and I'm fitter than I have been my whole life.

And, as I sAid, my wife looks at me with awe and love, which can't be bad!

I'm a 60 yo male BTW. Never had a real health problem in my life until this.

Monday - When you say you've got your weight to where you want it to be, what does that mean, in terms of BMI? There's a link here to calculate it, if you don't know it: http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

I appreciate BMI is not a fool-proof measurement of health, but it can be a useful tool for most people, aside from super-athletes!

In terms of levelling off your weight loss, I can empathise with where you are. It took me some months to get mine stable, finding I found it hard to stop losing. Who would have thought? As a consequence, I usually suggest to people, like yourself, who are pretty much where they want to be (provided it's in a good range) to start applying the brakes. I can tolerate more carbs now, so I do have that option, but I seem to have lost the taste for them to a large extent. So, in oder to reduce, then halt my weight loss, I increased my protein a bit to begin with (completely ineffective!), then began increasing my fat intake, a little as a time, until I found the balance point. Frustratingly, that took me to a place where I am slimmer than my ideal, with a BMI right at the bottom of the healthy range. In fact, this morning, on my regular weight check, I may have lost again, but I won't do anything about it yet, as like the rest of us, I can experience day-to-day variations.

The only thing I would say though is to plan what you are going to do, so that you can evaluate your results - good, bad or indifferent, and move on with knowledge. If you just decide to "eat more", how will you know what makes a difference? For me, I was very keen not to get into a yo-yo situation where I got down low, then ate with abandon, to find my weight creeping up, then having to rein everything back again. To me, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Monday, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, as you'll decide for yourself, just sharing my actual experiences and the rationale behind them. I like to think I've tackled this whole thing in a systematic way, so that whatever I achieve, or mistakes I made, and there have been a few, I would understand what was going on, and why.

Good luck with it all. Balance takes a little while to achieve, but I'm sure you can do it.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
A brief history...

Diagnosed with Type 2 in December when a HBA1C test came back with a result of 70.

I immediately "wised up." Joined this forum, changed my diet and lifestyle. Took my meds (metformin, statins) faithfully.

In January, my HBA1c was down to 58.
In February - 49.
May (testing now three-monthly, not every month as my GP tells me I'm in good control....). - 45.

My latest test was last week. I'm seeing the doctor later this week to get the results, but they've actually been uploaded to my record on NHS Scotland's mydiabetesmyway web site, which is brilliant, BTW.

My new result is 36!!! Is that even possible????? I'm in shock...

Over this period, my lifestyle and diet work has seen me lose 3.5 stones and am down to a svelte 11st 0lb. My cholesterol measures are now all fine, my blood pressure is firmly into the normal range. I've even stopped snoring! And my knees no longer creak...

My wife is really really pleased. It's a genuine joy to see how proud she is of me!

Thought I'd share this. I've had great inspiration from all the people here. I don't post a lot, but I check in every day.
Well done thats a fantastic result :D

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations....brilliant results....you must be justifiably proud of yourself :)

Reactions: 6 people

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging remarks, and to Andbreathe for the advice about levelling off the weight loss - some great food thought there (pun intended!)

Monday12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: went to see my GP this morning to "get my results" - I'd already seen the 36 HBA1C reading on-line. She's never seen a result so low from a patient who started where I did (diagnosed at 70.) We agreed to come off the metformin, and re-test in three months time. She said that my BC would go up a bit without it, to which I just smile to myself and think "we'll see about that!"

I'm still on a low dose statin though. Frustratingly the practice nurse who drew the lood for the tests last week forgot to order the set of cholesterol tests. They were all good last time and so we halved the dose, but the GP doesn't want to do away with the med completely until she sees from a test that it's all OK.

So - hurray to no more metformin! Great result. I so much dislike popping pills every day if I can avoid it.

I do a fasting BC test each morning -- which I've never mentioned to my GP - so I will be able to see if stopping the metformin has much of an effect or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
A brief history...

Diagnosed with Type 2 in December when a HBA1C test came back with a result of 70.

I immediately "wised up." Joined this forum, changed my diet and lifestyle. Took my meds (metformin, statins) faithfully.

In February - 49.
May (testing now three-monthly, not every month as my GP tells me I'm in good control....). - 45.

My latest test was last week. I'm seeing the doctor later this week to get the results, but they've actually been uploaded to my record on NHS Scotland's mydiabetesmyway web site, which is brilliant, BTW.

Over this period, my lifestyle and diet work has seen me lose 3.5 stones and am down to a svelte 11st 0lb. My cholesterol measures are now all fine, my blood pressure is firmly into the normal range. I've even stopped snoring! And my knees no longer creak...

My wife is really really pleased. It's a genuine joy to see how proud she is of me!

Thought I'd share this. I've had great inspiration from all the people here. I don't post a lot, but I check in every day.

Hi @Monday12. Very impressive. You are right to feel proud of yourself. Great work hun.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@Monday12 you are the dude! You made me smile when you mentioned your wife looking at you with awe and pride. Might be she was looking at you with big plans for you running through her mind.....any DIY to do around the house? ;)

susan191052

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
additives in food, use of pesticides on food crops, tattoos, you, football
I was diagnosed in June 2015 with an HBA1C of 138, in Sept it was 50, last week 43. Feeling good.\

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results, well done, educating doctors, one patient at a time!

Reactions: 2 people

susan191052

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
additives in food, use of pesticides on food crops, tattoos, you, football
what is odd is that I have always eaten a healthy diet and, after first diagnosed I put in low gi carbs and generally hi fibre carbs, I also spent the summer at 3 family weddings and 3 weeks in Italy eating fab food and wine. Then there was Christmas with all the goodies it brings. My diet is where it was before diagnosis and has been for the last 3 months so I don't understand the difference

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A brief history...

In February - 49.

well done really good work keep it up :)

Elizalou58

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
A brief history...

In February - 49.

Fabulous well done you have inspired me X

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
A brief history...

In February - 49.

Bloody Fantastic and the result of your commitment and hard work. Congratulations

drystoneradio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad mannered people
A brief history...

In February - 49.

Well done, I'm just as happy with mine...I was 100...yes no misprint...100 on the 14th Dec.... my last check Feb 8th, I was down to 68.4 :)

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
Excellent news MONDAY12.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well done, I'm just as happy with mine...I was 100...yes no misprint...100 on the 14th Dec.... my last check Feb 8th, I was down to 68.4 :)
Congratulations BSisson1 great work