FEELING PECKISH what can i munch on?

andreaabbott1

so come on what can someone with type 2 munch on when feeling peckish
my hubby often gets peckish in the evening what is safe to snack on rather than crisps

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Try cheese, olives, nuts, raw carrot + spicey houmous, a hard boiled egg, berries, the odd square of high cocoa content chocolate for a treat.

Reactions: 7 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make kale or courgette crisps and have with dip. Some people recommend pork scratchings if you like that sort of thing. Slice of cheese spread with mayo and wrapped in ham. Biscuits made using almond flour - lots of recipes on internet if you like a spot of baking :)

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My favourite treat at the moment is berries and thickened cream. OMG it is so yummy! I buy frozen berries and keep them in a container in the fridge. 2 dessert spoonfuls of berries with 1 spoonful of cream and a splash of sucaryl... dietary heaven for me. The feeling of the cream in my mouth stops me craving food for a couple of hours.

Reactions: 10 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unshelled organic pistachios are good because they give your fingers something to do, you have to work for your treat.

Reactions: 10 people

Kamili

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just made some nice little cakes from mashed bananas and quick oats with sultanas and flavored with cinnamon. Yummy

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made some nice little cakes from mashed bananas and quick oats with sultanas and flavored with cinnamon. Yummy

All those would send my levels sky high! Bananas are the worst fruits there are for type 2 diabetics, and dried fruits like sultanas are also not a wise choice for most people.

Reactions: 12 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
If you have tight control of your BG, then it's good for the soul to have a treat now n then. So, have a packet of crisps if you want to. Keep it as an occasional treat though. The rest of the time, try something like this:
  • High fibre cracker bread with pate, peanut butter, cheese spread.
  • Low carb trail mix.
  • Dark chocolate coated Brazil nuts.
  • Biltong or beef jerky. (my snack of choice.)
  • Sliced Leerdamer cheese rolled around a slice of wafer-thin ham.
  • Smoked cheese with a sliced small Apple.
  • Frikadellen. (Lidl do packs of mini & full size ones. Yummy hot or cold, dipped in Mayo, mustard or both.)
  • Frozen grapes.
  • Sugar free jelly pudding cups with cream.
  • Bovril.
  • Celery & carrot sticks with houmous.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snacks vary because our blood glucose levels vary.
  • kid size Cheddar portions e.g. Sainsbury's organic mild Cheddar portions 6 x 20g, 0.5g carbs per stick
  • Additive free pork scratchings e.g. Hogbites 0.1g carbs per 75g bag
  • Rodda clotted cream 227g tub 2.5g carbs per 100g
  • Organix15g toddler snacks e.g. cheese and herb puffs 9.3g carbs per 15g bag
  • Heinz organic biscotti 11.6g carbs per biscotti. 4 per pack
  • Nuts but not a large amount at a time ! Very few cashews as carby. Peanuts can be too.
  • Gherkins vary may be 1.0g per 100g, pickled eggs can be low too.

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I discovered in Waitrose snack sized bags of chorizo bites - lovely (though not cheap at £1.70 for an 80g bag) and only 0.8g carbs for the bag.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
I like pork scratchings and cheese because I don't need a lot and it takes my munchies away.
But if I'm properly hungry I'll make something more substantial.

Make kale or courgette crisps and have with dip.

Oh wow I will try those. Kale and Courgette have amazingly low carbs, I have them on my low carb vegetable mix list. So finding more use out of them is awesome. I imagine the kale would turn out like crispy seaweed but with out the carbs, **** that's so good!!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
my hubby often gets peckish in the evening what is safe to snack on rather than crisps
I have a bit of cheese which I nibble on with 5 almonds which I chew for ages to make them last! Sucks though when hubbys tucking in to a ham filled bread roll and crisps

Kamili

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have tight control of your BG, then it's good for the soul to have a treat now n then. So, have a packet of crisps if you want to. Keep it as an occasional treat though. The rest of the time, try something like this:
  • High fibre cracker bread with pate, peanut butter, cheese spread.
  • Low carb trail mix.
  • Dark chocolate coated Brazil nuts.
  • Biltong or beef jerky. (my snack of choice.)
  • Sliced Leerdamer cheese rolled around a slice of wafer-thin ham.
  • Smoked cheese with a sliced small Apple.
  • Frikadellen. (Lidl do packs of mini & full size ones. Yummy hot or cold, dipped in Mayo, mustard or both.)
  • Frozen grapes.
  • Sugar free jelly pudding cups with cream.
  • Bovril.
  • Celery & carrot sticks with houmous.
Like the idea of frozen grapes, bovril and smoked cheese. Thanks for that.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Like the idea of frozen grapes, bovril and smoked cheese. Thanks for that.

Glad to help. Just don't go mad on the grapes as they do contain natural fruit sugar. X

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe he should eat a larger evening meal in order to avoid the need for snacking later. Or a more substantial lunch. Or both.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I just made a batch of chicken liver pate -grilled livers, fried onion & garlic, hard boiled eggs, salt & pepper. Whizz it smooth. I use a traditional Jewish recipe but you can vary it to suit your own tastes. Pot up in small ramekins and freeze. I have a pot in the fridge for a tasty snack. This makes an excellent snack with slices of cucumber, tomato, stick of celery, rolled in a lettuce leaf, etc.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blue stilton cheese and a handful of walnuts
CAROL

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ewelina's strawberry ice cream! I made loads and a tiny bit is sooooo creamy it hits the spot.

KimG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds a bit daft, but I get 3 slices of Mexicana cheese (cheddar with chillies) and dice them into fragments. Put them in a tiny bowl, and use a cocktail stick to pick them up one at s time. It becomes a long snack :)

Reactions: 4 people

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
Micro portions are the way forward! I like playing with Cocao butter and powder, Coconut oil, Stevia and other things to see what I can make. A batch would fit into a tablespoon.