Some advice and info needed please

Libbaloo

No, it won't help much. Exercise is great, but almost useless for losing weight.
even if its not great in itself for losing weight, exercise can be good for increasing endorphins (happy mood hormones) and if we are able, walking with a friend or a dog gets us out and about in fresh air.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first step was to replace higher GI (Glycemic Index) carbs with Low GI ones and for some people that's enough. Didn't work for me.

Second step was to test blood glucose (BG) and ditch things that made it shoot up. At this point, I started questioning why I was being told to eat the very things which made by BG go up.

Third step, was to Google low carbohydrate. I found an article in the New York Times by Gary Taubes, watched his YouTube videos, borrowed his first book from the library (sometimes hard going), and watched Dr Robert Lustig's videos about sugar too. I don't have a sweet tooth but it seems like there's sugar of some form or other in so many things - even organic pesto has fructose.

My rule is to buy nothing over 10g carbs per 100g and if I use a recipe only 10g carbs per serving. I don't carb count or use My Fitness Pal.

I don't eat baked goods, cereals, grains, pasta, bread, ice cream, puddings, most fruit, sweets, chocolate unless 90% cocoa, crisps - basically nothing processed and I don't eat root veg either. That is pretty strict LCHF because my HbA1c at diagnosis was 13% and now it's generally hovering between normal and pre-diabetes.

Hopefully you won't have to be that strict but you have to eat to your meter and be led by that. Doesn't matter how many people bang on about toast, if it makes your BG high, you can't eat it.

Reactions: 2 people