Boils

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I'm new to the forum and newly diagnosed a few months ago with type 2 diabetes.
Recently I read that being diabetic could make you susceptible to boils, as I have 5 or 6 come up under my arms and some in the groin and leg area, is this normal or should I have them checked out by the doctor or maybe buy an over the counter cream. Any advice would be welcome as they are quite painful.
Thanks in advance, Andy

Reactions: 4 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Andy,

I don't have any personal experience unfortunately...........

I think boils in general are common but definitely worth checking out....

being diabetic means healing could take longer or not happen the way its meant to which in a worst case scenario could lead to infection....

so I would say yeah go and see the doctor for further advice....

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi. I'm new to the forum and newly diagnosed a few months ago with type 2 diabetes.
Recently I read that being diabetic could make you susceptible to boils, as I have 5 or 6 come up under my arms and some in the groin and leg area, is this normal or should I have them checked out by the doctor or maybe buy an over the counter cream. Any advice would be welcome as they are quite painful.
Thanks in advance, Andy
I don't want to worry you but they may be abscesses, in which case you will need antibiotics. I had a beauty of an abscess in my groin which I was told was caused by high sugar levels but it cleared up no bother with the antibiotics. Hope they clear up soon. Take care

Reactions: 2 people

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You definitely need to see your Doc. I had a lot in the run up to being diagnosed and if they are abscesses ( its hard to tell the difference) then you will need antibiotics, if left they sometimes need draining. Apart from that they make you feel dreadful. Hope you get on okay

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Boils normally appear with high blood sugars and boils/abscesses cause high blood sugars. So you need to be checked out.
How long have you had diabetes and what are your blood sugars like?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks in advance, Andy
I would definitely see a doctor about this. If the boils continue to be an issue you might have this condition:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hidradenitis-suppurativa/pages/introduction.aspx

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You should try to see a dermatologist if possible. They know the right antibiotic to prescribe. Boils are from a bacterial skin infection and has others have said its common with high blood sugar. I had them off and on for more than a year. Nasty buggers. I saw several doctors that prescribed different antibiotics, but the only one that worked was the one the dermatologist prescribed. I wish I could remember which one.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They usually occur due to too high blood glucose levels.

Once the corrent boils are sorted, it would be a good idea to see if you can get your blood glucose lower. Maybe ask your doc for an hba1c to monitor your levels, and then look at diet and medication.

Good luck.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Boils, especially large and multiple ones are skin abscesses that are very common in diabetes. I suffer them a lot, usually due to high BGs and rising HbA1c levels.. You definitely need a broad spectrum antibiotic like Flucloxacillin which will shift them. Go see your doctor asap.

Reactions: 3 people