Newbie .. 18 and diabetic :)

Muggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I'm Meg, I'm 18 and I've had diabetes for 10 years now. (been on the pump and injections) If anyone wants to chat id be more than happy too :)

Reactions: 4 people

emilydrawlins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hii Meg! If you don't mind me asking, how did you find the pump? I've been advised so many times by the diabetic team to have one fitted but I just have no idea what it is like to have one! I've been a type 1 diabetic for 7 years x

Muggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! :) I found it absolutely amazing when I first got it because i was able to eat what/whenever I wanted and if I had a high blood sugar I just gave a correction without anyone noticing! It's just so flexible haha
But sadly it didn't suit me forever so I went back to injections.
But don't get me wrong, it's brilliant and I'd advise people to at least try it out because it has been life changing for a lot of diabetics :)

emilydrawlins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah it does sound brilliant but I just struggle with the fact that if somebody looked at me now they wouldn't know I was diabetic but if I had a pump they may be able to see it. I am definitely considering it though as I've been hospitalised four times with DKA. Thank you!

Muggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah it would be easer for people to recognize diabetes with it but the only think is that you get ketones a lot faster with the pump
Sorry I don't mean to scare you away from it or anything I'm just letting you know! :O haha

emilydrawlins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't think it will be suitable for me then, I get ketones quite fast anyway, think I'll be best sticking to injecting, I suppose there's no need to change what I'm doing if it's controlled for now. No, I'd rather know what it's like

add

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Meg! Welcome to the forum

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Meg, I'd love to chat to someone my age, I'm 18 in July. Have you got facebook? x

SerenaArthurs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Meg, I'm Serena... New to the forum thing. I'm also 18 and it would be nice to find someone to talk to who is my age...
P.s. Still trying to get the hang of this forum thing :/

Muggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Meg, I'm Serena... New to the forum thing. I'm also 18 and it would be nice to find someone to talk to who is my age...
P.s. Still trying to get the hang of this forum thing :/
Hey Serena same here haha because only other diabetics understand
I still find this site confusing, even my notifications don't work on here..

serajane1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Meg! My name is Sera, I'm 18 and have diabetic for over two years now. It would be really nice to speak to someone my age who understands what living with T1 diabetes is like! Feel free to message me

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't think it will be suitable for me then, I get ketones quite fast anyway, think I'll be best sticking to injecting, I suppose there's no need to change what I'm doing if it's controlled for now. No, I'd rather know what it's like
i am way too old to be answering a younger person, but i saw your post - so a quick note - i am very insulin sensitive and did get swings, more hypos but also minor ketones, if ill or occasionally out of the blue on injections, i cant recall ever having done so on the pump. Ketones are about insulin lack, and the pump gives you a steady base rate even when you may require just tiny amounts - this should prevent that. I use porcine insulin in my pump which is very stable and a bit longer acting than the other choices. On the visibility issue on your other post, it is not too bad if you use longer tubing as you can have the pump fairly near your ankle, in a sock or tights, and still wear slim fitting jeans, etc - i do. Also see pages 39-41 in latest diabetesUK 2015 catalogue for good ideas re pump pockets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Signe_Kirk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Meg! I'm Signe and I'm 17 :) Been diabetic for almost 6 years and I'n currently on the pump :) Feel free to message me if you wanna talk!