Totally confused about BG meters....Help!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
I really need to take charge of my levels and I am looking at getting a meter but I am SO confused!
Also very shocked to see how much the strips etc cost as well! I am Type 2 on Metformin

What is the best meter to go for?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
A lot of T2s buy the SD Codefree as the strips are the cheapest around. I'm sure someone will come along and give you the details of where you can buy it. There are also a few members who have the codes for you to get a discount on the strips, hopefully they'll post shortly.

Reactions: 2 people

DawnPhenomenon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Someone gave me an old meter that had been used for a diabetic cat! I buy the stops on Amazon and they are very reasonable. I bought the wrong strips once so put in for a free meter which I got.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you June. I saw it on Amazon but wasn't sure if it was any good. Boots has 2 or 3 brands e.g Accucheck and Superdrug was useless. Guess online is the only bet.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thank you June. I saw it on Amazon but wasn't sure if it was any good. Boots has 2 or 3 brands e.g Accucheck and Superdrug was useless. Guess online is the only bet.
Wait for some more replies. I think the website is Homehealth something or another. I'll try and see if I can get someone to post the details for you......

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If cost is an issue then definitely go for the Codefree. Meters themselves are generally cheap or can be obtained free, but most brands of strips are pricey.

Robbity

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The Home Health website is here: http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Buying directly Home Health are happy to offer a bulk buy discount, saving a couple of pounds per pot, so well worth it. Bearing in mind 5 x SD Codefree strips are around the price of 1 pot of the bigger brands, it's ideal! Initially you need plenty strips too.

Discount Codes:

5 pots - 264086
10 pots - 975833

You apply the discount code at the site check out.

Enjoy!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Yes, mmol. Told you I'd get someone to post:)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
You're very welcome:)